Turn off double newline on return in plain text messages

User Help for Mozilla Thunderbird
slickrcbd

Turn off double newline on return in plain text messages

Post by slickrcbd »

For various reasons, I have Thunderbird configured to default to compose plain text e-mails instead of HTML e-mails.

When I press <RETURN> to move to a new line, Thunderbird "helpfully" automatically inserts a second newline preventing me from formatting text like putting my name and address unless I compose it in something else like Word or Notepad and use copy/paste.
A macro I have set up for the aforementioned name and address using the extension "quicktext" works fine.

How do I turn off that "helpful" extra blank space so that I can write something like

Code: Select all

Mr. Satan
666 Good Intentions
Defile, Hell
instead of

Code: Select all

Mr. Satan

666 Good Intentions

Defile, Hell

The feature is more annoying than helpful 99% of the time. Hitting <backspace> deletes the <RETURN> and moves the text up on the same line, instead of just the extra newline.
DanRaisch

Re: Turn off double newline on return in plain text messages

Post by DanRaisch »

Eliminate that action using menu path Tools->Options->Composition->General->uncheck "Use Paragraph format instead of Body Text by default.
slickrcbd

Post by slickrcbd »

Thank you. I wonder how it got checked in the first place, as it just suddenly started happening when I haven't messed with the options in at least six months, not since they got rid of the company e-mail and made us use our own last spring.
I assumed it was the latest updated that "helpfully" activated it.
DanRaisch

Post by DanRaisch »

It was included in an update but not a very recent one.