POP3 Timeout Preference Problem?

User Help for Mozilla Thunderbird
Malcolm Duckett

POP3 Timeout Preference Problem?

Post by Malcolm Duckett »

As a long time Thunderbird user, I have recently (last 18 months) had a problem where Thunderbird refuses to download emails with large attachments (>~10Mb). I think this is because my "broadband" is only ~1.2Mbps at my current address.

I am assuming that this is probably as a result of some in-built timeout. When you try to fetch such a message (or download the content if you have set Thunderbird to "only fetch headers") the progress bar at the foot of the screen remains active for a consistent 2.5 minutes and network link is "at full capacity" - then everything just goes idle - no error messages, no more network traffic. This time is consistent even if others are using the connection at the same time, so it seems to be time, not size related.

Having read extensively - I have found references to the need to set mailnews-tcptimeout (and I have tried this via the config editor in Thunderbird and by creating a user.js file, and even by hacking the prefs.js file to insert an appropriate line - along the lines suggested here http://kb.mozillazine.org/Modify_Thunderbird_settings

I have also tweaked all the "apparently related" prefs to no avail :-(

I have also found references to pop3.response.timeout (but I think this is older).
I CAN download the offending emails using Yahoo web client, but this is a pain in the backside and I could really do with a fix, as I am editor for a club site so I get a lot of "oversize" files sent to me by non-IT literate types.

I am running Thunderbird 45.8.0 on Windows 10 Pro on a 64bit AMD-based platform.

Any help would be much appreciated! :-)
DanRaisch

Re: POP3 Timeout Preference Problem?

Post by DanRaisch »

What security software is running on that system?
Malcolm Duckett

Post by Malcolm Duckett »

I use WebRoot for security - however (and amazingly) literally while I was typing the post Thunderbird decided to update itself to 52.4.0!!! and (even more amazingly) it immediately downloaded the offending email! I can't see anything in the release notes that suggests a change in this area - however, I am happy to just be a thankful user, and see if this is a permanent fix, or just something fluky..... Thanks for the response.
DanRaisch

Post by DanRaisch »

You're welcome.