login server error on some accounts (intermittent)

User Help for Mozilla Thunderbird
astant

login server error on some accounts (intermittent)

Post by astant »

I have several email accounts on btinternet.com most of the time they all login, retrieve mail without issue.
Lately I've notice one not always the same one and sometimes several accounts will fail retrieving new mail with a login error.

eg:

Sending of password for user *****@btinternet.com did not succeed.
Mail server mail.btinternet.com responded: Server error - Please try again later.

If I go to the BT website and login there with the same details stored in Thunderbird I can log in and see the messages are there, yet I am still getting the login error with Thunderbird for the past 6 hours on one particular account.

Tomorrow can almost guarantee I'll be able to login with T/B without issue and by not changing any password or user settings.

Anyone having/had similar experience?

tnx
DanRaisch

Re: login server error on some accounts (intermittent)

Post by DanRaisch »

Mail server mail.btinternet.com responded: Server error - Please try again later.
That error message indicates that the problem is with the btinternt servers, not in Thunderbird. That's why the problem comes and goes without any changes to settings in Thunderbird and why it occurs sometimes with one account and sometimes another. When you log onto the web mail page for btinternet you are not accessing the same servers as Thunderbird does when it tries to get your messages.
astant

Post by astant »

DanRaisch wrote:
That error message indicates that the problem is with the btinternt servers, not in Thunderbird. That's why the problem comes and goes without any changes to settings in Thunderbird and why it occurs sometimes with one account and sometimes another. When you log onto the web mail page for btinternet you are not accessing the same servers as Thunderbird does when it tries to get your messages.

Thanks Dan

I just fired up an old desktop pc that still has Forte Agent on it, updated the login details of all the email accounts and it behaves the same as Thunderbird, with only that one specific account that can't be reached. Will leave it overnight and hope it gets reset as I doubt I'll get anywhere with BT customer support :(

regards

Bob
DanRaisch

Post by DanRaisch »

You're welcome, Bob.
makaiguy

Post by makaiguy »

Symptoms sound to me like bt's servers may be getting overloaded and have insufficient capacity to handle all traffic during high use periods.
Doug Wilson
Win10 64bit: FF 124.0.2 64bit, TB 102.12.0 32-bit ║ Android 13/10: FF 124.2.0/115.9.0 ║ No TB for Android available, dammit!
What a fool believes he sees, no wise man has the power to reason away - Doobie Brothers
astant

Post by astant »

makaiguy wrote:Symptoms sound to me like bt's servers may be getting overloaded and have insufficient capacity to handle all traffic during high use periods.
I did some more digging found this twitter post, seems I'm not alone but this was sent beginning of the month I only had issues in the last few days.

https://twitter.com/BTCare/status/926033726097776640

Today had no email via T/B since 11am yesterday, half an hour ago 126 messages started rolling in :shock: