Can I run FF 57 along side of FF 52.5 ESR?

User Help for Mozilla Firefox
ghot

Can I run FF 57 along side of FF 52.5 ESR?

Post by ghot »

I am currently running FF 52.5.0 esr 64 bit. Is there a SIMPLE way to run FF 57.0 along side the FF52.5.0 esr without any of the two mixing?
I do not want to run the FF 57 as a portable version. I do not want to run both at the same time.

What I do want is to be able to choose between the two until I can get used to FF 57...if ever.

I don't want ANY of the two versions to SHARE anything. Not one little file shared between the two. I want them totally isolated from each other in all respects.
We the willing, led by the unknowing, have been doing the impossible for the ungrateful. We have been doing so much, for so long, with so little, we are now qualified to do anything with nothing.
allande

Re: Can I run FF 57 along side of FF 52.5 ESR?

Post by allande »

This thread has some suggestions. http://forums.mozillazine.org/viewtopic ... &t=2821799 The "simple" way is to use one of the browsers as a portable version.
But, it can be done otherwise. Create a new profile with the profile manager - run firefox with -P in as a command parameter. maybe even create 2 new profiles to get them easy to type names like A and B etc. Then you may want to make a copy of all files in your existing profile and overwrite the new profiles with it. Then you have 2 named profiles. Install Firefox ESR with custom option, to put it in a different folder for example "program files\firefoxESR". Install Firefox 57 with custom and pick folder like program files\FirefoxQuantum
Then, create shortcuts to launch each Firefox. Right click on the shortcuts to edit them.
Make one say
"C:\Program Files\FirefoxESR\firefox.exe" -p "ESRProfile" and the other
"C:\Program Files\FirefoxQuantum\firefox.exe" -p "QuantumProfile" or whatever you named each, maybe -p "A" and -p "B"
You may also want to pick one version to be the "default browser" and click that option in it.
ghot

Post by ghot »

Just like I thought. The answer is NO.

Perfect example of broken programs. :/
We the willing, led by the unknowing, have been doing the impossible for the ungrateful. We have been doing so much, for so long, with so little, we are now qualified to do anything with nothing.
Frank Lion

Post by Frank Lion »

ghot wrote:Just like I thought. The answer is NO.

Perfect example of broken programs. :/
Er, just because you didn't understand the answer given, the answer was not NO.
"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil, is for good men to do nothing." - Edmund Burke (attrib.)
James

Post by James »

ghot wrote:The answer is NO.
The answer is YES. People have had multiple versions of Firefox with each using a separate Profile for a very long time whether on Windows, Mac OSX, or Linux.

http://kb.mozillazine.org/Shortcut_to_a ... ic_profile
ghot

Post by ghot »

Oh, I understood the answers....but they weren't what I asked for.

I asked for a SIMPLE answer (like install in a different directory or on a different drive). If I wanted to work for Mozilla, (as in coding my browser) I would. But I just wanna use the browser, at least for a while yet.
I just completely removed FF 52.5.0 ESR and installed FF 57.0.

Mozilla let down it's users on this one.
After Googling and editing FF 57 to get the tabs on the bottom, where they should be. I installed NoScript, to find out even that is now useless.

The ONLY thing they did even partially correctly was that I was stiull able to just import my bookmarks from FF 52.5.0 without issue.
Ofc, they screwed up all the bookmark icons. Couldn't have ANY semblance of continuity there, now could we.

Anyways, I'm now back on FF 52.5.0 ESR. I sure hope they get it together by the time the ESR time limit expires.
I really don't ask much. Just two extensions, namely NoScript and Classic Theme Restorer...that's it. But no, we can't have that. Can't let the user decide what he wants his browser to LOOK like.

Anyway, rant is done. I'm disappointed.

/edit Btw, if FF 57 is any faster...I can't see it.
LIMPET235

Post by LIMPET235 »

It's a fairly simple process to run 2 versions at the same time.
Try the following...

1/. Back-up your existing profile. (JIC.)
2/. Choose a different folder/directory from your current version. Create this folder first.
2a/ .Run the new versions full installer & choose "Custom" installation.
From here. > https://www.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/all/
eg; C:\Firefox_V57 (or whatever the new version is.)
3/. Before you run the new version, open the Profile Manager &
create a new profile with the name, Firefox_V57 (Exactly the same as the first. )
Profile Manager. > http://kb.mozillazine.org/Profile_Manager
DO NOT RUN IT, just close the Profile Manager.
4/. Create a desk top shortcut from the new version's .exe from the PROGRAM folder.
Right click & open it's Properties & in the Target line, add a space at the end,
followed by, -p yournewprofilename -no-remote
eg; C:\Firefox_V57\firefox.exe -p Firefox_V57 -no-remote
(NB: No spaces in your name but note the spaces between .exe -p and Firefox and V57 -no-remote)
DO NOT set it as the default & do not use the -no-remote in your default version.
5/. Ref; this article for what to transfer. > http://kb.mozillazine.org/Transferring_ ... _-_Firefox

(Original detailed post by Gingerbread Man. > http://forums.mozillazine.org/viewtopic ... #p10557827)
[Ancient Amateur Astronomer.]
Win-10-H/64 bit/500G SSD/16 Gig Ram/450Watt PSU/350WattUPS/Firefox-115.0.2/T-bird-115.3.2./SnagIt-v10.0.1/MWP-7.12.125.

(Always choose the "Custom" Install.)
ghot

Post by ghot »

Yeah, no offense but 5 steps, is ridiculous. I should be able to install in a different directory and that should be it.

Also, IMO, this is what a browser should look like...

https://i.imgur.com/4CacqfD.png

/e Anything else is useless, and just slows down the browsing experience. For those that want extras, fine...allow users to fully customize the browser.

I think that programmers worry about losing their jobs if they don't keep...changing things.
Last edited by Daifne on November 23rd, 2017, 8:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: removed img tags. Size of image breaking forum format.
LIMPET235

Post by LIMPET235 »

Hi,
Well, I'm sorry that you consider just 5 steps as too complicated for you to carry out.

It takes about 3 or 5 Minutes for the whole operation.
It's your choice.

I am done here.

BTW...
My version 57 looks like this...
ref; > http://imgbox.com/3JS2v2SE
Plus, I & many, many others, can run as many versions as I/they like using the above directions.
[Ancient Amateur Astronomer.]
Win-10-H/64 bit/500G SSD/16 Gig Ram/450Watt PSU/350WattUPS/Firefox-115.0.2/T-bird-115.3.2./SnagIt-v10.0.1/MWP-7.12.125.

(Always choose the "Custom" Install.)
James

Post by James »

ghot wrote:Yeah, no offense but 5 steps, is ridiculous. I should be able to install in a different directory and that should be it
So in the last ten years you have had an account here you never learned the simple steps of having separate Firefox folders and using a separate Profile for each?.

Just setup your desktop shortcut for each Firefox version so it starts up with a specific Profile, after you create it in ProfileManager if you do not want each Firefox version sharing the same Profile (not a good thing).

LIMPET235 wrote:eg; C:\Firefox_V57\firefox.exe -p Firefox_V57 -no-remote
The -no-remote switch is only needed if you want to use two separate Firefox instances at same time and one should not use it with the default Profile.
ianas

Post by ianas »

just use Firefox portable for 57 and keep Firefox ESR installed you can use Firefox sync to sync your bookmarks and addons
https://portableapps.com/apps/internet/firefox_portable
can you run 2 Firefox versions the answer is yes but it's not that simple
the Firefox installer will overwrite any previous version so you'd need to manually unpack the installer or use a different architecture (if you're on 64bit windows) also the profile format has changed and is not backward compatible so you'd have to run different versions of Firefox with different profile folders, this can be done by tweaking the shortcuts that start different Firefox versions you can't do this by double clicking the Firefox executable's
but why not try PaleMoon it supports old style Firefox addons it's activly developed it uses a different profile folder and it can be ran at the same time as Firefox (you can't run 2 different versions of Firefox at the same time)
ghot

Post by ghot »

Yeah., it's ok. I can just use FF 52.5.0 ESR until I'm forced to use a Firefox I don't need or want.
It's not just Firefox. Windows 10 did the same thing...where the coders decide what I want, rather than me. I hope this is a phase that will pass, but I doubt it.

This kind of thing isn't necessary at all. All these changes could just be coded into a preferences setting. Hell, even the Tools > Options has been degraded. They even took away the little tiny tab with the + sign.

I know the coders don't hang out on this forum, but I seriously don't understand the reasoning. They could make all the improvements, but leave the decisions to the user, and they just...don't. I found the userChrome.css file, but it's not necessary. All those things could have an entry in something like preferences.

This is like editing INI files back in the late 90's for gawd's sake. There is absolutely no need for this, these days. I guess I'm just getting old. I don't want to learn a new method, every time there are some security improvements.
Reflective

Post by Reflective »

ghot wrote:Yeah., it's ok. I can just use FF 52.5.0 ESR until I'm forced to use a Firefox I don't need or want.
Not necessarily. You can install a Firefox fork which creates its own profile directory and therefore doesn't interfere with ESR. I'm running both ESR 52.5 and Basilisk, the latter of which was created by the same developers who forked Firefox into Pale Moon.

As far as menus are concerned there's absolutely no difference between ESR and Basilisk, so much so that you'll have to create a different theme for each of them to tell them apart if you have both running at the same time.

If you have Classic Theme Restorer installed though, download 1.7.3.2beta1 since the standard release bricks the location bar. The CTR developer released the beta to address that.

The only other minor downside is that Basilisk cannot import data from Firefox. So make a backup of your bookmarks and then import them manually. You can install all the extensions you're using in ESR by opening your profile/extensions folder and then dragging and dropping the XPI file from ESR into Basilisk.

EDIT: Basilisk will support legacy extensions indefinitely.
Frank Lion

Post by Frank Lion »

ghot wrote: I guess I'm just getting old.
Yep, reckon so. Just use that Basilisk thing that Reflective mentioned above, then at least we won't have to read you moaning on here any longer.
ghot wrote: They even took away the little tiny tab with the + sign.
Er, nope. The are 2 New Tab buttons on 57 - one that can can on any toolbar and...a small one with a + sign that goes on the end of the tabbar.
"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil, is for good men to do nothing." - Edmund Burke (attrib.)
smsmith

Post by smsmith »

Basilisk sounds funny to me. A fork of Pale Moon? Is that a fork of a fork? Does that make it a spork?
Give a man a fish, and he eats for a day. Teach a man to fish, and he eats for a lifetime.
I like poetry, long walks on the beach and poking dead things with a stick.
Please do not PM me for personal support. Keep posts here in the Forums instead and we all learn.