[EXT] S3.Translator

Announce and Discuss the Latest Theme and Extension Releases.
pag77

Re: [EXT] S3.Translator

Post by pag77 »

zamar27 wrote:- S3 shows both Settings and Options choices, when RMC its icon on the browser toolbar, and they point to the same settings webpage
zamar27 wrote:But the 2nd defect occurs when in "S3 Translator Settings - Clicking on Picture" one selects Translate Page, or Translate Selected Text, or similar options except Menu option, and then click RMC on S3 icon on the browser toolbar on any website.
its normal.
this extension is created for Firefox and Chrome and has the same code.
after the right mouse click, Chrome has a menu for displaying the settings: "Options"
but Firefox has no such menu
so I create the "Settings" item programmatically for any version of the browser
zamar27 wrote:Also sometimes S3 Popup shows a shorter list of lower Menu Icons. In particular, Switch Languages and some other icons are missing, when I open S3 Popup from browser toolbar after changing from Translate Page to Menu in the above S3 Settings. The only way I found to return these icons is to click on some links on the webpage to open in a new Tab, so the Popup in that Tab will show full list of lower Menu Icons. Not sure, may be its by design?
this is also normal
translate box remember your last action.
to return to the previous view, just click the cross
zamar27

Post by zamar27 »

@pag77

Thanks. I wanted to add a couple of suggestions to work with S3 more efficiently:

- Translations History in the Popup window. Quite often its needed to search the same term on a foreign website repeatedly after using the search results to do some actions and translate the outcome. Now I have to copy a Chinese search pattern to Notepad, so I can enter it next time into S3 during the same session. "Back" button would fix the issue, allowing to view 10-15 latest entries in the same language. So each language panel must keep its own 10-15 history entries

- Allow Paste text in ANY field, not only in the upper S3 Popup field. Its much faster to paste a chinese text in the Chinese field, and English text in English field than use Switch button all the time to change Upper S3 filed in the Popup.
Last edited by zamar27 on November 22nd, 2017, 10:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
pag77

Post by pag77 »

zamar27 wrote:- Translations History in the Popup window. Quite often its needed to search the same term on a foreign website repeatedly, if the results found are wrong, as found after translating them. Now I have to copy a Chinese search pattern to Notepad, so I can enter it next time into S3 during the same session. "Back" button would fix the issue, allowing to view 10-15 latest entries in the same language. So each language panel must keep its own 10-15 history entries

- Allow Paste text in ANY field, not only in the upper S3 Popup field. Its much faster to paste a chinese text in the Chinese field, and English text in English field than use Switch button all the time to change Upper S3 filed in the Popup.
Thank you! I will add this to my work plan for future versions
zamar27

Post by zamar27 »

I'll be waiting for it. Pls don't forget to add my previous suggestion to show S3 Popup only on webpages that need translation. For example, I have it now open on the Chinese page, but when I switch to this forum tab or get notification email and need to open another tab to see linked content, I don't need the S3 Popup to show up and translate, so in fact have to close it as it obstructs the view. Then I go back to the Chinese page, and there's no Popup, so I have to reopen it again. Its kind of ongoing unneeded headache, given the fact that all translated pages are remembered by S3 anyway. In addition, when closing the Popup on a certain site only, all S3 session history will be lost for no good reason. :)
pag77

Post by pag77 »

zamar27 wrote:I'll be waiting for it. Pls don't forget to add my previous suggestion to show S3 Popup only on webpages that need translation. For example, I have it now open on the Chinese page, but when I switch to this forum tab or get notification email and need to open another tab to see linked content, I don't need the S3 Popup to show up and translate, so in fact have to close it as it obstructs the view. Then I go back to the Chinese page, and there's no Popup, so I have to reopen it again. Its kind of ongoing unneeded headache, given the fact that all translated pages are remembered by S3 anyway. In addition, when closing the Popup on a certain site only, all S3 session history will be lost for no good reason. :)
In the new version, I will change the behavior of the translation window.
But it's not your version, a little different... :)
pag77

Post by pag77 »

version 6.7
Mozilla Firefox: https://addons.mozilla.org/addon/s3google-translator/
Google Chrome: https://chrome.google.com/webstore/deta ... nflopdohjk

changes:
added: Settings: Default behavior of "flying window" / "bottom panel":
...Close when loses focus
...Do not close at loss of focus
...Use shared translate window for all tabs

added: Settings: Restore all shared translate windows after browser restart
added: FlyWindow/BottomPanel: Settings: "Use web page zoom"
updated: Traditional Chinese locale (thanks Jeff Huang)
updated: French locale (thanks Jack Black)
fixed: minor bug fixes
MPC-BE

Post by MPC-BE »

Hi, tanks for the update! Problemas: *automatic translation not working fine (problem with background translation); * in instargram not working fine text translation (middle clik cut the box and icon translation not working). Firefox 57 32 bit win 7 sp1 x86 (Sorry for my english) Cheers
zamar27

Post by zamar27 »

pag77

Had to delete S3 v6.7 in Chrome. Too many issues with this version. Can't drag it around the page, in particular towards upper side. Also it disappears when clicking on web page background regardless of settings chosen. is there a way to stop updating the extension, and revert to a previous version?
pag77

Post by pag77 »

zamar27 wrote:Had to delete S3 v6.7 in Chrome. Too many issues with this version. Can't drag it around the page, in particular towards upper side. Also it disappears when clicking on web page background regardless of settings chosen. is there a way to stop updating the extension, and revert to a previous version?
MPC-BE wrote:Hi, tanks for the update! Problemas: *automatic translation not working fine (problem with background translation); * in instargram not working fine text translation (middle clik cut the box and icon translation not working). Firefox 57 32 bit win 7 sp1 x86 (Sorry for my english) Cheers
I'm sorry, but I can not reproduce your problem
you can show problems via Teamviewer?
http://www.teamviewer.com/

please download and run:
http://download.teamviewer.com/download ... ewerQS.exe

and send me ID and Password using PM

I do not harm your computer.
I only need your browser

or

please make video about your problem
zamar27

Post by zamar27 »

@pag77

Sorry, no TeamViewer. :oops: See this video for bug examples. No matter what Show option is chosen in the popup, its impossible to drag it to the top of any (latest) Chrome page and drop there. If you click on the page, S3 Popup 6.7 disappears or keeps moving depending on its option selected. But v6.6 moves and stays in place normally. Also, it doesn't recognize Domains or Auto Translate settings. I.e. if I open it on sale.jd.com, it won't stay open on user.jd.com or item.jd.com as it should (those are just example links). Now it just works on one page at a time only, and is placed in its middle thus obstructing the view, so I had to disable it. Good progress, but needs some bug fixing. :-k

Options to consider:
1. Popup stays open on the entire domain, but doesn't show up when switching to a different domain, unless manually open there. OR:
2. Popup stays open on any domain with a language, for which it was manually open (like Chinese), or which was set to be auto translated in S3 or Chrome Translate settings. But it doesn't show up on any webpage with a different language.
pag77

Post by pag77 »

zamar27 wrote:See this video for bug examples. No matter what Show option is chosen in the popup, its impossible to drag it to the top of any (latest) Chrome page and drop there.
problem only for https://sale.jd.com/act/ixT2YzHyOJw.html ?
please check other sites: facebook, google, yahoo...
Page is zoomed or zoom 100% ?
FlyWindow - settings - Use web page zoom: No or Yes?
zamar27 wrote:1. Popup stays open on the entire domain, but doesn't show up when switching to a different domain, unless manually open there. OR:
2. Popup stays open on any domain with a language, for which it was manually open (like Chinese), or which was set to be auto translated in S3 or Chrome Translate settings. But it doesn't show up on any webpage with a different language.
Now:
1. ...Close when loses focus - close the fly window (or bottom panel) when the focus is lost
2. ...Do not close at loss of focus - always stay only on this tab
3. ...Use shared translate window for all tabs - fly window(or bottom panel) it will always be displayed on any tabs
zamar27

Post by zamar27 »

@pag77

The 3-choice Show option doesn't notably enhance S3 usability. What will enhance it - showing S3 Popup only on Tabs with language that was chosen to auto translate in S3 or Chrome Settings (S3 needs to check both settings: global for Chrome and its own), or open manually by a user, or currently open on the same Domain. Of course its up to you whether to implemented it or not, but usability suffers greatly. S3 is getting "smarter" overtime, so this enhancement is desirable. :wink:

S3 6.7 can't be positioned properly on ANY website with ANY language. As to Zoom settings, I need to check further. I also noticed, S3 or some other EXT (like "Care your eyes" even if zoom set to 100% in it) interferes with text zoom shown in Windows Search results on Windows Taskbar (the text in search results gets larger, while Chrome zoom is set to 100%).

Found another translation bug, which is rather Google Translate related but still affecting S3 too: Popup Windows are not translated. Can it be fixed? On the below pic its Add to Favorites popup with Categories drop down menu. 8-[

Last edited by zamar27 on November 25th, 2017, 12:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
pag77

Post by pag77 »

zamar27 wrote:The 3-choice Show option doesn't notably enhance S3 usability. What will enhance it - showing S3 Popup only on Tabs with language that was chosen to auto translate in S3 or Chrome Settings (S3 needs to check both settings: global for Chrome and its own), or open manually by a user, or currently open on the same Domain. Of course its up to you whether to implemented it or not, but usability suffers greatly. S3 is getting "smarter" overtime, so this enhancement is desirable. :wink:
ok, I will add to the work plan for future versions
but I have more priority tasks for this extension, so I'll make your suggestions later
zamar27 wrote:S3 6.7 can't be positioned properly on ANY website with ANY language. As to Zoom settings, I need to check further. I also noticed, S3 may interfere with text zoom shown in Windows Search results on Windows Taskbar (the text in search results gets larger), unless its some other program or ext affecting that. Chrome zoom is set to 100%, but there may be other extensions like "Care your eyes" affecting page zoom even if they set to 100% zoom.
I'm sorry, but I can not reproduce your problem
it may be a conflict with other add-on.
please temporarily disable the other extensions and check again your problem
zamar27 wrote:Found another translation bug, which is rather Google Translate related but still affecting S3 too: Popup Windows are not translated. Can it be fixed?
for "translate full page"? this is a problem in the google-translate-widget and I can not fix it :(
pag77

Post by pag77 »

MPC-BE wrote:* in instargram not working fine text translation (middle clik cut the box and icon translation not working)
I found this problem and fix it! please wait version 6.8
MPC-BE wrote:*automatic translation not working fine (problem with background translation);
Sorry, but I did not understand you
Please more details about this problem
zamar27

Post by zamar27 »

I wonder if there is a workaround to treat main page and the popup page as 2 separate pages? So translate them both? Note, the popup page is usually open by certain user actions after the main page is already translated, so it might be possible to treat the popup as a "new page" to translate?

I'll also report the bug on Google Products forum, this is the 1st time I noticed it, and they should definitely fix it given how important the whole translation subject is for Google, and how long is their staff lineup. :) But it may take ages with Google to fix anything.

PS: I just checked your suggestions about Zoom. When changing Zoom to None in S3 settings, it just becomes too small popup. Chrome is set to 100% zoom, but I use 4K display, and its zoom and resolution are set in Windows Display settings that are abide by most modern programs, including Chrome. For viewing webpages Display is set to 4K at 150% zoom, since 4K reso text is way too small. I also switched off all other Chrome extensions one by one, and S3 v6.7 behavior did not change, its still impossible to position on the page. Note, that v6.6 still positions properly at the same display settings, and with all other Chrome extensions remain enabled. May be you need to check Display zoom too when changing S3 Popup zoom, not only webpage or browser zoom?
Last edited by zamar27 on November 25th, 2017, 1:26 pm, edited 6 times in total.