Sort Bookmarks By Name

User Help for Mozilla Firefox
borgward

Sort Bookmarks By Name

Post by borgward »

Is there any permanent way to organize bookmarks by name. I can do Bookmarks > Show all > Bookmarks Menu > Views > Sort > By Name to display them alphabetically, but that only does it for one time. How do I get them to always display in order by name every time I go to Bookmarks. I do not want to have to go through 5 or 6 steps to see them in alphabetical order. Iid that and closed FF and restarted but that made no difference.
8-bit

Re: Sort Bookmarks By Name

Post by 8-bit »

There is no way to permanently set this as far as I know - not even in about:config. I wish I could do the same thing, but alas - not possible.
BuddhaNature

Post by BuddhaNature »

Don't know what you're talking about here but I have my bookmarks sorted by name and the setting seems to be permanent - been that way for years. How to do it:

(1) Click (Menu) Bookmarks. The Bookmarks menu drops down.
(2) Hover the mouse over any bookmark folder and, once the folder opens, right-click and select "Sort By Name"
(3) Repeat for all other bookmark folders and sub-folders.

Works on my system. You don't need to go "Show All Bookmarks" to do this.
Happy112

Post by Happy112 »

In addition to the above :

In Firefox the option to sort bookmarks permanently is only available for folders and not for individual bookmarks .......
8-bit

Post by 8-bit »

BuddhaNature wrote:Don't know what you're talking about here but I have my bookmarks sorted by name and the setting seems to be permanent - been that way for years. How to do it:

(2) Hover the mouse over any bookmark folder and, once the folder opens, right-click and select "Sort By Name"

Works on my system. You don't need to go "Show All Bookmarks" to do this.
YES! Thanks... never knew this. I always sorted them in "Show All Bookmarks" and used the header of the column to sort - which did not stay in a permanent state. Doing it using your method does indeed keep them in a permanent state - although not very intuitive (on Mozillas part). I have been using FFX forever, and never knew this...

Nice. Thanks again, and thanks Happy as as well. :D
Grumpus

Post by Grumpus »

Open Show all Bookmarks and click on Views and after Sort.
There is a drop down which will set the default.
If you see Unsorted checked just pick one of the items in the list or use the A-Z or Z-A at the bottom.
Doesn't matter what you say, it's wrong for a toaster to walk around the house and talk to you
BuddhaNature

Post by BuddhaNature »

I should add that, once you have them sorted by name, and you add a new bookmark into one of the folders then the new bookmark gets dumped in "unsorted" order. To deal with that just right-click on the folder and select "Sort By Name" again.
borgward

Post by borgward »

BuddhaNature wrote:I should add that, once you have them sorted by name, and you add a new bookmark into one of the folders then the new bookmark gets dumped in "unsorted" order. To deal with that just right-click on the folder and select "Sort By Name" again.
That sorts them, but not permanently on my system - LinuxMint 18 Cinnamon FF 57.0.

That works permanently.
8-bit

Post by 8-bit »

Grumpus wrote:Open Show all Bookmarks and click on Views and after Sort.
There is a drop down which will set the default.
If you see Unsorted checked just pick one of the items in the list or use the A-Z or Z-A at the bottom.
Ah, found it. Thanks for the tip!
BuddhaNature wrote:I should add that, once you have them sorted by name, and you add a new bookmark into one of the folders then the new bookmark gets dumped in "unsorted" order. To deal with that just right-click on the folder and select "Sort By Name" again.
Ok. Got it.
FrankSMS

Post by FrankSMS »

Sorry but this is not a solution at all.
You have to do this with every single folder because the wizards who designed this travesty of software elected not to implement a top to bottom default sort order. Chrome seems to be plagued by the same bizarre design. Everything on your computer is sorted alphabetically but they chose to suddenly not do that with the Bookmark Manager? Guess they have 10 bookmarks on their machines instead of 10,000 like some people. Try doing the Sort By Name option then add a bookmark. Any thinking designer would set it so its sorted by name from then on. But no. It gets sent to the bottom of the list. They truly left their brains at the door when they made this thing.

Solution: Try extensions that sort bookmarks. That should work. Of course when Firefox is updated they may not work. Isn't life fun?

Better solution: Find a separate bookmark program that's designed by thinking people that does what you need.

Even better solution: Save the web page on your system because you never know when a web page will no longer be available. If its important to you, save it and back it up.