FF 57: Toolbar Customizations Won't Save

User Help for Mozilla Firefox
Remmy700P

FF 57: Toolbar Customizations Won't Save

Post by Remmy700P »

After making changes to the placement of toolbar items and saving them via the "Done" button, when FF is closed and reopened, all the changes are lost and the toolbar reverts back to the default layout. Any thoughts? Just an unfixed bug?

Thanks!
DanRaisch

Re: FF 57: Toolbar Customizations Won't Save

Post by DanRaisch »

Not seeing that here.
What security software do you have running on that system?
Is the Firefox profile in a Windows user ID that has administrative privileges?
Remmy700P

Post by Remmy700P »

DanRaisch wrote:Not seeing that here.
What security software do you have running on that system?
Is the Firefox profile in a Windows user ID that has administrative privileges?
1. Avast Free Antivirus v17.8.2318
2. Yes.
siffemoz

Post by siffemoz »

I use the same version of AV, that's not the cause. I had that exact problem too; it was due to Malwarebytes Anti-Ransomware Beta preventing xulstore.json from updating. If you're using that program, disable it and see if the changes stick. If so, you can whitelist the FF program directory.

If you're not using that program, try closing FF, go to your profile, and delete xulstore.json. It will rebuild when you restart FF. If that doesn't fix it, disable your extensions one by one and test after disabling each one.
Brummelchen

Post by Brummelchen »

Malwarebytes Anti-Ransomware Beta
you are running the latest build?
https://forums.malwarebytes.com/topic/2 ... -download/

MBAR is getting out of date. i consider it as not helpful, getting hittet my ransomware is possible to avoid by 100% without such tools.
more helpful is MBAE (antiexploit) or latest MBAM 3.3 (with license).

ransomware dont get passed through firefox, not this way - much more often through email which needs a decent emailer or email preview program.
siffemoz

Post by siffemoz »

Yes, running the latest. I've had other problems with it, so it's likely going to be removed from my PCs shortly. I have backups and know how to use them :-)
Remmy700P

Post by Remmy700P »

Not running Malwarebytes. Only active FF extension is Adblock. Will try the file deletion route. Where is my FF profile directory located?
Remmy700P

Post by Remmy700P »

OK. Found and deleted the xulstore.json file and restarted FF. Made the customizations to the toolbar, saved them, closed FF and restarted it. Same problem. The icons are back in their default positions. Any other ideas?
siffemoz

Post by siffemoz »

Try it after disabling Adblock and putting your antivirus software on temporary timeout.
Remmy700P

Post by Remmy700P »

Already tried that. Didn't work.

Out of curiosity, why are the recommendations targeting the AV/Malware software? If it WAS either of those engines, I would get a notification that the browser protections were being violated and the systems were taking action. I think it's clear that it is something INTERNAL to the FF implementation. The prior FF version had no problem with these customizations/changes.

You have anything else to offer? No one else is having problems saving the browser toolbar customizations?
CaJazzman

Post by CaJazzman »

Remmy700P wrote:Already tried that. Didn't work.

Out of curiosity, why are the recommendations targeting the AV/Malware software? If it WAS either of those engines, I would get a notification that the browser protections were being violated and the systems were taking action. I think it's clear that it is something INTERNAL to the FF implementation. The prior FF version had no problem with these customizations/changes.

You have anything else to offer? No one else is having problems saving the browser toolbar customizations?
Nope, everything I've moved or saved are there when I restart or press done. Must be something else you are doing causing the issue. 8-)
DanRaisch

Post by DanRaisch »

No one else is having problems saving the browser toolbar customizations?
I'm not, and there have not been large numbers of reports of such an issue, as would be expected if the problem was in the program rather than the profile.
Why question the security software? Because historically it's one thing that can cause the problem you're reporting, blocking the saving of the updated settings data to the Firefox profile.
FoxedMe

Post by FoxedMe »

I have none of these programs or add-ons or extensions or whatever and I have uninstalled/reinstalled and deleted specified files and restarted, ad nauseam. I have followed every single piece of non-tech-intensive piece of advice I can find ("fixes" that involve coding like that I've seen elsewhere don't help lay users, for the record, because I have little to no idea what any of that "code" talk means, as most people don't) and I still, in January 2018 am having this problem. The new update simply will not save any toolbar customizations no matter what I do or try.
siffemoz

Post by siffemoz »

DanRaisch

Post by DanRaisch »

Refreshing is not the best option for non-tech users as it makes it difficult to recover elements of the old profile should that be useful. Much better to create a new profile.

If no improvement using Safe Mode, do you have the same problem if you create a new profile and test it with no extensions or non-default themes installed?
http://kb.mozillazine.org/Profile_Manager
and
http://kb.mozillazine.org/Creating_a_ne ... on_Windows