RSS: How does this work? Nothing comes in.

User Help for Mozilla Thunderbird
FrankSMS

RSS: How does this work? Nothing comes in.

Post by FrankSMS »

Thunderbird has the weirdest setup for RSS. Most readers you add the name you want for that particular feed, then put in the URL of the feed. The end. I tried this in Thunderbird but I must be doing something wrong as its totally convoluted. Did the designers ever use RSS before?
WaltS48

Re: RSS: How does this work? Nothing comes in.

Post by WaltS48 »

To what feed are you trying to subscribe?

https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb/ho ... -and-blogs
Linux Desktop - AMD Athlon(tm) II X3 455 3.3GHz | 8.0GB RAM | GeForce GT 630
Windows Notebook - AMD A8 7410 2.2GHz | 6.0GB RAM | AMD Radeon R5
FrankSMS

Post by FrankSMS »

Lots of them.
I think I did it correctly. There whole layout seems so convoluted. I will never understand a techies' mind. Just seems to breed illogical thoughts. In Opera its so simple. Name the feed, copy and paste the URL into the address. The End.
WaltS48

Post by WaltS48 »

You can copy the feed link from the browser, then in Thunderbird, select Blogs and News Feeds (or whatever you named the account), click Manage subscriptions, paste the link into the Feed URL field, click Add, the name is automatically added while the feed link is being validated, click Close and you are done.

I think that is covered in the support link I provided.

I haven't tried subscribing from Firefox lately, but I seem to recall it offered the user the choice of choosing an application. Yep still does with my 59.0a1 version of Firefox.
Linux Desktop - AMD Athlon(tm) II X3 455 3.3GHz | 8.0GB RAM | GeForce GT 630
Windows Notebook - AMD A8 7410 2.2GHz | 6.0GB RAM | AMD Radeon R5
FrankSMS

Post by FrankSMS »

That's exactly what I did. Select the feed and copied and pasted the URL into to it. But I was using Opera Mail before and copied it from that. I remember when I just clicked the feed on the originating website it didn't work. Maybe I needed to select Opera Mail as the default RSS reader which I probably didn't do. I had to right click the RSS link on the website and copy and paste the URL into Opera. Then it worked fine.

This time I selected Thunderbird as the RSS reader on the feed's website. It worked fine. It was the transfer from Opera Mail that didn't work. I needed to go to the source.

I'm wondering if I can control how much of the post is sent? I'd like to get as much as possible. It seems to only send a maximum of 2 lines.