Stop 'cannot be compacted' notifications

User Help for Mozilla Thunderbird
firefoxuse

Stop 'cannot be compacted' notifications

Post by firefoxuse »

hello!

is there a way to stop these horrendous 'folder could not be compacted due to another operation taking place' notifications???

they serve literally no reason apart from breaking our nerves with useless spam popups!

thanks!
DanRaisch

Re: Stop 'cannot be compacted' notifications

Post by DanRaisch »

No, they are providing important information on the state of your message folders.
firefoxuse

Post by firefoxuse »

DanRaisch wrote:No, they are providing important information on the state of your message folders.
That you cannot do anything about! useless!
DanRaisch

Post by DanRaisch »

OK, I misspoke. You can stop those messages. But to do so you must correct the problem in your Thunderbird profile.
Is the account regarding which you see those messages a POP type account or an IMAP account? Find out using menu path Tools->Account Settings->Server Settings->Server Type at the top right of the dialogue.
tanstaafl

Post by tanstaafl »

If you only have IMAP accounts you could configure it to automatically expunge a message whenever you delete it. That would eliminate the error message you dislike as it would never accumulate enough deleted messages to trigger compacting. However, you would never have the opportunity to undo a deletion. See http://kb.mozillazine.org/Deleting_mess ... P_accounts if you want to do that.

Another solution would be to raise the threshold (1MB of wasted space) it uses for when to automatically compact, though I recommend against it if you get lots of small messages like I do.