Determine which AWS pages are Mozilla and which are crap.

Discussion of general topics about Mozilla Firefox
Grumpus

Determine which AWS pages are Mozilla and which are crap.

Post by Grumpus »

My monitor is show a number of ranges which identified as Amazon and I know some of them are legitimate Mozilla.
The problem is there's too many hits in too short a time for them all to be valid.
13.x.x.x, 34.x.x.x, 35.x.x.x - I've been blocking these for a long time
Trying to figure out if that is keeping the install of NoScript from happening.
Doesn't matter what you say, it's wrong for a toaster to walk around the house and talk to you
DanRaisch

Re: Determine which AWS pages are Mozilla and which are crap

Post by DanRaisch »

Moving from Firefox General to Firefox Support.
Frank Lion

Post by Frank Lion »

"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil, is for good men to do nothing." - Edmund Burke (attrib.)
therube

Post by therube »

Why not just download NoScript from here, https://noscript.net/getit, then you don't have to deal with AWS's.
If the issue was AWS, then perhaps no extensions would install from AMO? Have you tried others?
Fire 750, bring back 250.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 6.1; en-US; rv:1.9.1.19) Gecko/20110420 SeaMonkey/2.0.14 Pinball CopyURL+ FetchTextURL FlashGot NoScript
Grumpus

Post by Grumpus »

It just seems like a lot of unnecessary hits on a regular interval.
If AWS has embedded permission to access for experiments, telemetry or what ever as agent server for Mozilla it should indicate it somehow in Whois or some other manner.
Blocking is an issue and NoScript will not stop backdoor permissions leaving any compromise of the AWS system capable of any number of exploits or data grabs.
This also includes third party denial of selected softwares forcing the use of others, an extension war.
Some of the IPs which have been found were formerly identified as spammers and malware providers but then went AWS which gave them a form of anonymity.
@therube - for the time being NoScript isn't working with my Linux systems, seems like it installs but I get either a blank page or a list of blocked sites, no options panel.
Using a stand in or older Firefox until it gets worked out. Tried cleaning the system of NoScript and a new install, from both your link and the Add-ons, no joy.
Doesn't matter what you say, it's wrong for a toaster to walk around the house and talk to you
mightyglydd

Post by mightyglydd »

#KeepFightingMichael and Alex.
Grumpus

Post by Grumpus »

@therube - Tried that site again with a clean system, still isn't installing. I get the permission notices which are agreed to and an indication in add-ons it's installed but there's nothing on the page except allowing scrips globally which is a no no, a cross site scripting check block which doesn't hold and a debug check block which does not hold.
There are no items in about:config except a noscript-tbb in one of the browser customization elements.
Link appears to be an Amazon site 13.32.0.0/13.35.255.255
Brummelchen

Post by Brummelchen »

blocking mozilla pages is kinda silly - disable firefox services which are causing it.
aws is a trusted cdn. the rest is paranoia.
Grumpus

Post by Grumpus »

@Brummelchen - you made my point, it's not about wanting to block mozilla pages it's about not knowing which ones to block.

I just tried to access the 'zine to say I had tried somethg else to no avail and got a General Erros - SQL too many connections.
Mostly due to packets from 13.32.0.0/13.35.255.255.
Only way to get back on was to block 13.33.74.90 with a constant pinging.

What I tried was toggling the xpinstall white list req'd and xpinstall sig req'd before they had been true with no blocking.
Tried a re-install with the same limited unresponsive results.
This seems really odd since NoSCript is one of the packages which went with the webex changes.
Frank Lion

Post by Frank Lion »

Grumpus wrote:@Brummelchen - you made my point, it's not about wanting to block mozilla pages it's about not knowing which ones to block.
Try putting these about:config ones to false for a start:

browser.ping-centre.telemetry
toolkit.telemetry.archive.enabled
toolkit.telemetry.bhrPing.enabled
toolkit.telemetry.enabled
toolkit.telemetry.firstShutdownPing.enabled
toolkit.telemetry.newProfilePing.enabled
toolkit.telemetry.reportingpolicy.firstRun
toolkit.telemetry.shutdownPingSender.enabled
toolkit.telemetry.unified
toolkit.telemetry.updatePing.enabled
experiments.enabled
experiments.activeExperiment
experiments.supported
datareporting.healthreport.uploadEnabled
nsITelemetry.canRecordBase
nsITelemetry.canRecordExtended
geo.enabled
app.shield.optoutstudies.enabled
extensions.shield-recipe-client.enabled

Then do a http search term search in about:config and right click>Modify>delete on all their addresses. They have quite a hard job figuring out where to connect to after doing that. Not that hard, is it?

January 27, 2017
Mozilla delivers browsing privacy to millions of Firefox users
Yeah, like ****.

Millions of saps actually believing that garbage, more like.
Last edited by Frank Lion on December 17th, 2017, 11:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil, is for good men to do nothing." - Edmund Burke (attrib.)
Brummelchen

Post by Brummelchen »

SQL too many connections
not firefox -> this forum, i asked about these minutes. maybe an attack.
but my firefox is still performing well - other sites were fine.
Grumpus

Post by Grumpus »

@Frank Lion - It's not I'm trying to block all this stuff I'm trying to determine what's real and whats bogus
It doesn't appear to matter whether the system is blocking anything or not, NoScript is still incomplete somehow.
I dumped the IPs which were being blocked,both in Firewalls and other files and rebooted the system.
Tried the re-install. There's a button and a bar which appears with and X, the reload symbol, a non functioning options button,revoke temporary permissions button and a temporarily allow page. All get a dotted outline when hit and no indication of working function.

As to the list of items, most were already set to false as default, toolkit.telemetry.enabled deals with some which weren't set.
neither nsTelemetry.items exist in about:config.
All the relative "experiment" items are and had been set to false with network.allow-experiments set to false.
datareporting.healthreport.uploadEnabled is false but guess that's controlled by the switch in Preferences.
browser.ping-centre.telemetry was true left it alone
geo.enabled is usually set to false but it had been true.
None of these ever blocked install of NoScript and I'm thinking it's either not ready for Linux yet or something didn't install due to something else.
Going to try a couple more things.
Frank Lion

Post by Frank Lion »

Grumpus wrote:@Frank Lion - It's not I'm trying to block all this stuff I'm trying to determine what's real and whats bogus
Grumpus wrote:@Brummelchen - you made my point, it's not about wanting to block mozilla pages it's about not knowing which ones to block
therube

Post by therube »

@therube - for the time being NoScript isn't working with my Linux systems, seems like it installs but I get either a blank page or a list of blocked sites, no options panel.
In which version of FF?
And with which version of NoScript?

FF 56 & NoScript 5.x should work.
FF 57 & NoScript 10.x should "work" [cough, but its UI is incomprehensible - to me, so in that respect it does not work]

10 does not work in 56* [cough, again*]
5 does not work in 57

*cough, again - I have seen 10 install in 56 - though it should NOT. Even though installed, it does nothing. If that is what you're seeing, you just have to use the correct version of NoScript with the corresponding version of FF.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 6.1; en-US; rv:1.9.1.19) Gecko/20110420 SeaMonkey/2.0.14 Pinball CopyURL+ FetchTextURL FlashGot NoScript
therube

Post by therube »

@B wrote:aws is a trusted cdn. the rest is paranoia.
If Mozilla were the only entity using aws would be one thing, but that is not the case.
While one may want to blanket trust "mozilla on aws", there is plenty that you may not want to extend that trust to.