Firefox can't update to the latest version.

User Help for Mozilla Firefox
kirkmc

Firefox can't update to the latest version.

Post by kirkmc »

I get driven crazy with the above message all the time. Even though I've downloaded/updated FF (unless it didn't work)
Help-about shows Current version as 5502 and invites 'Restart to update Firefox' but a restart just restores the same version.

Running win 10. What version should I have and can I kill this update message ? Thanks
allande

Re: Firefox can't update to the latest version.

Post by allande »

The current version is 57. Note that Firefox has a 32-bit and a 64-bit version, if your operating system is 64-bit you probably want the 64-bit version. Some attempts at downloading will download a small "stub" installer of about a megabyte. Instead, download the full installer by clicking the appropriate choice from here: https://www.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/all/
Before attempting to install, backup either your bookmarks or your Firefox profile. Note that Firefox 57 will not work with most of your existing (legacy) extensions. Then, to deal with the "can't update" errors, uninstall Firefox before attempting to run the full installer.
kirkmc

Post by kirkmc »

FF won't go away! There were 2 entries showing in control panel. 5502 and 57. I downloaded the 64 bit one from your link then deleted them both.
Restarted comp... but the shortcut in the task manager remains and still runs 5502. (But there's no entry under "Mozilla" in Programs And Features.)
Any suggestions? btw I don't have any profile or bookmarks, which is just as well as I've no idea how to back them up !
Prompt "Firefox can't update to the latest version.
Download a fresh copy of Firefox and we'll help you to
install it. See what's new." remains.
allande

Post by allande »

Maybe wait for someone more experienced to answer or try posting your problem on another forum such as reddit or the official mozilla support site. If you are comfortable doing the following it is what I would do, but if you don't understand the instructions don't try it:

A. Preferably, backup your whole computer.
B. Make sure you know where the 64-bit full installer is.
C. Open a file exploring window. Go to your local hard disk / C drive, go to program files. It may give you a warning. Delete the mozilla firefox directory. Then go to C drive, program files x86. Delete the mozilla firefox directory.
D. Reboot, then run the 64-bit installer.

If that did not work, the next step would be to alter your Firefox profile. But cross that bridge when you get to it.
kirkmc

Post by kirkmc »

I may have found the problem. The shortcut is somehow pointing to a backup drive and *that* Firefox is running. Without appearing in Add/Remove programs or c:\program files.
Would that indicate it's not properly installed and why it can't update itself?
If I were to delete that and re-install maybe it would sort everything ? How/why this happened is unknown.. not done intentionally.
allande

Post by allande »

Yes that sounds like that could be the problem. Especially on the non C drive, your user account may not have full permissions to modify that folder. I would delete it and re-install, but also delete the shortcuts. When installing version 57 if it does not make a new shortcut you can use, it can launch firefox after install - that puts an icon in the task bar temporarily as a running program. Right click it and you can click "pin to taskbar" and that will make a shortcut you can always click.