Anybody noticed scrolling problems with Firefox 57?

User Help for Mozilla Firefox
FrankSMS

Anybody noticed scrolling problems with Firefox 57?

Post by FrankSMS »

Not sure if this is prevalent with other versions - don't remember it. So you load up a page and are scrolling down using PageDown and the Up/Down arrow keys. You notice you're above where you just were yet you're just hitting PageDown. That's weird. Also when you move from PageDown to the vertical arrow keys it hops around. Same website in Chrome is fine.

Check it out on this site.
http://www.instructables.com/id/Food-of ... Superfood/
8-bit

Re: Anybody noticed scrolling problems with Firefox 57?

Post by 8-bit »

Not able to repro this here. Everything works as expected. Just wanted to give you a reference point.
RobertJ

Post by RobertJ »

I've been reading a number of your posts over the last few days and noticed the following:
  • You have an ancient OS
  • You complain a lot
  • You have difficulty doing the simplest things
  • You think Chrome is wonderful
My suggestion; switch to Chrome.

We really don't care.

FF 92.0 - TB 78.13 - Mac OSX 10.13.6
FrankSMS

Post by FrankSMS »

I've been reading a number of your posts over the last few days and noticed the following:

You have an ancient OS
You complain a lot
You have difficulty doing the simplest things
You think Chrome is wonderful
-----------------
I admit my attitude could use some improvement. Most of you here are extremely helpful. My aggravation is only with the designers of this software. I see so many ways it could be improved and cannot, for the life of me, comprehend why they do some things.

My OS is older but I think, from the people I talk to, that most Windows users are still using Windows 7 like me. So my problems should be very relevant if they are OS related.
FrankSMS

Post by FrankSMS »

8-bit wrote:Not able to repro this here. Everything works as expected. Just wanted to give you a reference point.
Today I noticed that it works fine when I use the spacebar to go up and down. And only on some sites does PageDown not work properly. On cnn.com when you use PageDown look at the quivering of the scroll bar on the right when you go down the page. It goes down a page then quivers a bit going up slightly. The page itself is OK on the home page. It may be related to videos loading on the page. Youtube seems to work fine. I wonder if its a focus issue. So many websites use so many different frames (I think that's the right word). I do make sure the focus is correct though when its not working. How many times do you select something in some tiny box then hit the PageDown button to go down the page only to find it was working in that tiny box. Who in their right mind would ever use PageDown when you have say 5 things to choose from? I don't think browsers ever used to do this. Yet this seems to be a convention now and everybody's toeing the line.
share666

Post by share666 »

I hesitate to post but...

I also have experienced jerky scrolling on some web sites. I have Windows 10 / x64 and FF58bx - appropriately updated. To be fair I also notice this behavior on IE. But not on Vivaldi .
Just another reference point.
DanRaisch

Post by DanRaisch »

Just another reference point.
But, unfortunately not a valid one. You're using version 58bx, a pre-release beta version in which it should not be surprising to find issues, including new bugs, regressions, extension incompatibilities and the like. The OP's issue is with version 57, the current release version of the browser.
Brummelchen

Post by Brummelchen »

my 58beta6 is running fine, no issues. if firefox shows some blank parts of pages while scrolling - this is in continuous work and not ready. new webrenderer.
Grumpus

Post by Grumpus »

No issues with scrolling, page dn, page up or any other controls, keys or number pad keys.
Have seen where the focus on a page dn may relocate to the text area for a post but you just move the cursor to the page type and it's back to normal.
Guessing that has something to do with the last element being selected.
Doesn't matter what you say, it's wrong for a toaster to walk around the house and talk to you
S3ndG

Post by S3ndG »

Hi,
for those who got keyboard scrolling issues, try in about:config to set the preference named apz.keyboard.enabled to False to see if it solves them (just double-click on the preference to switch between true and false value).
Wiggam72

Post by Wiggam72 »

This will more than likely solve your scrolling problem. This add-on is for the mouse and keyboard. I found and installed it about 5 days ago and it's awesome!! I installed it because I was trying to find a solution to the problem I was having with a new mouse I got about 5 months ago. The mouse has its own settings, but the browser scroll speed was too slow, while the Windows Explorer (not to be confused with IE) speed was fine. It also took care of the travel distance, braking, and smoothness issues.

It works with FF v57. It allows the user to set the exact scroll speed , sensitivity of the mouse wheel, smoothness, braking, and travel distance-and similar settings for the keyboard. The terminology for some of those things are different than what I used.

https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefo ... e/?src=api

I decided to post my moue settings as a baseline to aid you. Of course, you might find they aren't to your liking or don't need to use them since your issue is with the keyboard. I left the default settings for the keyboard.

Step Size 52, Smoothness (Forepart) 29.07, Smoothness 46.22, Acceleration Sensitivity 450, Acceleration by travel distance 1.04
FrankSMS

Post by FrankSMS »

Wouldn't it be more logical to have a system wide mouse settings control program?
FrankSMS

Post by FrankSMS »

S3ndG wrote:Hi,
for those who got keyboard scrolling issues, try in about:config to set the preference named apz.keyboard.enabled to False to see if it solves them (just double-click on the preference to switch between true and false value).
This seems to work! Fabulous. 1 down and 99 problems to go!
http://www.canadiantire.ca/en/search-re ... sort-price
Here is a particularly awful designed site. We have our space wasting enormous banner on top, with things taking forever to load on my 80mb connection. It was jerking all over the place before I did the apz.keyboard.enabled...false thing. Worked like a charm.
FrankSMS

Post by FrankSMS »

That link above is working (Canadian Tire) fine.
Sad to report that Ebay is not cooperating but when I refreshed the page it worked.
Wiggam72

Post by Wiggam72 »

moz2u wrote:Wouldn't it be more logical to have a system wide mouse settings control program?
Not necessarily. In my case the add-on Yet Another Smooth Scrolling WE was a life saver. It comes in handy to have tailored settings for the web because in many cases scrolling is different than it is when using Windows Explorer or I assume when using Apple or Linux systems vs the web. It depends on the mouse or keyboard you're using.

I'm able to tailor the scroll action EXACTLY the way I like it to scroll while using FF.