4 options I want FF to keep doing in 57; are they possible?

User Help for Mozilla Firefox
nym9

4 options I want FF to keep doing in 57; are they possible?

Post by nym9 »

1) Require a password to open Firefox - had an extension for this, doesn't work anymore.

2) Change the font / colors in the (Bookmarks) sidebar

The following two still work in 57 using my old profile, but I had to create a new profile to fix NoSquint in 57, and I'm not sure how to get them back:

3) Add ANY search engine (tpb rottentomatoes fb subscene ebay kickasstorrents etc) - had an extension for this, doesn't work anymore.

4) Add a "New Tab" icon button for the toolbar - had an extension,etc
Reflective

Re: 4 options I want FF to keep doing in 57; are they possib

Post by Reflective »

1. https://www.techwalla.com/articles/how- ... cess-to-it

2. https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefo ... src=search

3. I assume NoSquint Plus was installed as a legacy extension originally and the upgrade to FF57 has disabled that. What you should be able to do in your old profile is to uninstall it and then go to File ---> Exit to close Firefox and remove it completely. Restart FF again and go to the AMO site and install the WebExtension version of NoSquint Plus.

I use NoSquint Plus myself and have always had problems with it and have had to uninstall/reinstall it several times to get it to work.

4. Hit Ctrl+T instead.
smsmith

Post by smsmith »

nym9 wrote:4) Add a "New Tab" icon button for the toolbar - had an extension,etc
If you right click the toolbar, choose Customize, you can drag the new tab button from the tab bar to the toolbar if that's where you'd rather have it.

For your item #2, do you know about userChrome.css?
http://kb.mozillazine.org/UserChrome.css
Give a man a fish, and he eats for a day. Teach a man to fish, and he eats for a lifetime.
I like poetry, long walks on the beach and poking dead things with a stick.
Please do not PM me for personal support. Keep posts here in the Forums instead and we all learn.
Gingerbread Man

Post by Gingerbread Man »

1) That's no longer possible. The StartupMaster FAQ recommends encrypting the Firefox profile folder with either VeraCrypt or an OS encryption feature like BitLocker. That's a much better idea, since it's not easily defeated by starting Firefox in Safe Mode.

3) Add to Search Bar is probably not possible, at least at the moment. You can probably find the search engine you're looking for on http://mycroftproject.com.
You can also right-click any search field and choose Add Keyword for this Search. You can then search by typing that keyword plus the query into the location bar. Also, if you save the bookmark in the Searches folder, the Context Search add-on will display that search engine in the context menu.

4) There's already a New Tab button on the toolbar (the + sign at the end). You can right-click it and choose Customize if you want to move it elsewhere. If you need a second New Tab button, install Simple New Tab Button.

2) Add the following to your userChrome.css and don't forget to restart Firefox. Replace the fonts and colors with whatever you prefer.

Code: Select all

#sidebar-box[sidebarcommand="viewBookmarksSidebar"] > #sidebar-header {
  background: lightgrey !important;
  font-family: Roboto !important;
  font-weight: normal !important;
}

@-moz-document url("chrome://browser/content/bookmarks/bookmarksPanel.xul") {

treechildren,
  #sidebar-search-container {
    background: gainsboro !important;
    font-family: Roboto !important;
  }
  #search-box,
  #search-box *:not(menupopup) {
      -moz-appearance: none !important;
      background: lightgrey !important;
  }
  #search-box {
    border: 1px solid darkgrey !important;
  }

}
therube

Post by therube »

1) so FF doesn't have, or no longer has, the concept of a "Master Password" (for whatever limited value it may be in SeaMonkey)?
Fire 750, bring back 250.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 6.1; en-US; rv:1.9.1.19) Gecko/20110420 SeaMonkey/2.0.14 Pinball CopyURL+ FetchTextURL FlashGot NoScript
Gingerbread Man

Post by Gingerbread Man »

therube wrote:1) so FF doesn't have, or no longer has, the concept of a "Master Password" (for whatever limited value it may be in SeaMonkey)?
Firefox still has a master password, and it still fulfills its intended purpose: it protects saved passwords. From the FAQ link I posted earlier:
StartupMaster developer wrote:StartupMaster works by interrupting the startup sequence and requesting the built-in password manager to show the password prompt. The new API doesn't allow any access to the password manager and has some issues with interrupting the startup sequence as well. This makes it impossible to implement StartupMaster's functionality.
nym9

Post by nym9 »

Gingerbread Man wrote:You can probably find the search engine you're looking for on http://mycroftproject.com.

4) There's already a New Tab button on the toolbar (the + sign at the end). You can right-click it and choose Customize if you want to move it elsewhere. If you need a second New Tab button, install Simple New Tab Button.

2) Add the following to your userChrome.css and don't forget to restart Firefox. Replace the fonts and colors with whatever you prefer.
smsmith wrote:
nym9 wrote:4) Add a "New Tab" icon button for the toolbar - had an extension,etc
If you right click the toolbar, choose Customize, you can drag the new tab button from the tab bar to the toolbar if that's where you'd rather have it.

For your item #2, do you know about userChrome.css?
http://kb.mozillazine.org/UserChrome.css

Thanks! All working now. Strange that FF doesn't password protection built in, glad Tbird can though.