[EXT] S3.Translator

Announce and Discuss the Latest Theme and Extension Releases.
pag77

Re: [EXT] S3.Translator

Post by pag77 »

translating https pages works fine in manual mode.
also you can set the flag "always translate *domain.com*"
zamar27

Post by zamar27 »

pag77 wrote:you can set the flag "always translate *domain.com*"
I can't find this option. For this forum page, I see menu option: "Automatically translate forums.mozillazine.org". Its not editable, despite domain here is: mozillazine.org. Many big and popular sites have large variety of such subdomains. I was trying to add them one by one on Amazon and Taobao, but eventually gave up in Firefox, and on top they had some subtle variations preventing S3 from translating already added sites. May be you can make that field editable, so a user can delete "forums" word from it manually as an example? Or make that list of added sites accessible via Settings, so a user can edit these sites URLs in Settings?

Such list should be accessible anyway for security reasons, because a user may decide to revoke such permission from some of the sites, but not the other. For example, IE browser has similar lists of trusted and blocked sites, and they are editable manually. Currently a user would have to open a site to remove it from S3 list. So basically the user can't easily access, audit, or edit the list of sites he added times ago permission to translate, i.e. the exceptions list. That also doesn't allow to add entire domains, only individual websites and subdomains.
pag77

Post by pag77 »

ok, I'll add this feature in my work plan
zamar27

Post by zamar27 »

Thanks. Can you add a menu option: "Switch off S3.Translator"? On some webpages I don't need S3 offering a set of buttons when selecting or copying a text, regardless of language choice. Also, when I copy a password from a vault, I don't want S3 monitoring this action and clipboard content. The only way I found so far is to disable the extension temporarily in browser settings, which is far from convenient. This is a major security concern as I see it. Most sensitive extensions like VPN, proxy, or password related allow to disable from browser toolbar by selecting their OFF menu option.
Last edited by zamar27 on November 29th, 2017, 9:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
pag77

Post by pag77 »

zamar27 wrote:Thanks. Can you add a menu option: "Switch off S3.Translator"? On some webpages I don't need S3 offering a set of buttons when selecting or copying a text, regardless of language choice. Also, when I copy a password from a vault, I don't want S3 monitoring this action and clipboard content. The only way I found so far is to disable the extension temporarily in browser settings, which is far from convenient. This is a major security threat as I see it. Most sensitive extensions like VPN, proxy, or password related allow to disable from browser toolbar by selecting their OFF menu option.
addon reads the clipboard only if you order him to choose the action "translate from the clipboard"
zamar27

Post by zamar27 »

Thanks for clarification. But on some sites these 3 buttons overlap the selected text, and the purpose to select it often is not to translate, but to copy for other reasons. That's why switching OFF S3 dynamically gives the user serious advantage, unless you want S3 to continuously monitor all user activities, whether user wants it on certain websites or not. Currently, I can't even find an easy way to stop these 3 buttons to appear for a selected text on every site.
pag77

Post by pag77 »

zamar27 wrote:Thanks for clarification. But on some sites these 3 buttons overlap the selected text, and the purpose to select it often is not to translate, but to copy for other reasons. That's why switching OFF S3 dynamically gives the user serious advantage, unless you want S3 to continuously monitor all user activities, whether user wants it on certain websites or not. Currently, I can't even find an easy way to stop these 3 buttons to appear for a selected text on every site.
you can disable the buttons and adjust the translation by pressing the middle button or by long pressing the left mouse button
zamar27

Post by zamar27 »

Long pressing the left mouse button deselects the selected text. I'm sorry, but I think you should voluntary provide functional allowing a user to disable the addon on certain sites. You can't force the user to allow the addon to monitor every site they visit, even if most of these sites do not require any translation. This is the same as with VPN add-on, your add-on is clearly destined to work on targeted sites, but not on every site user visits in disregard of their privacy rights. :(

To my understanding, most of suggested features added to "work plan" will likely never be implemented. I appreciate your add-on useful functions, but you need to respect user privacy rights, and allow to quickly disable your addon on sensitive sites, because users can't monitor what it does, while it has permission to communicate over web to arbitrary sites, which is the principal difference compare to many other add-ons, not related to translations.
pag77

Post by pag77 »

zamar27 wrote:Long pressing the left mouse button deselects the selected text. I'm sorry, but I think you should voluntary provide functional allowing a user to disable the addon on certain sites. You can't force the user to allow the addon to monitor every site they visit, even if most of these sites do not require any translation. This is the same as with VPN add-on, your add-on is clearly destined to work on targeted sites, but not on every site user visits in disregard of their privacy rights. :(

To my understanding, most of suggested features added to "work plan" will likely never be implemented. I appreciate your add-on useful functions, but you need to respect user privacy rights, and allow to quickly disable your addon on sensitive sites, because users can't monitor what it does, while it has permission to communicate over web to arbitrary sites, which is the principal difference compare to many other add-ons, not related to translations.
why did you decide that someone is following you through my addon?
pag77

Post by pag77 »

version 6.12
Mozilla Firefox: https://addons.mozilla.org/addon/s3google-translator/
Google Chrome: https://chrome.google.com/webstore/deta ... nflopdohjk

changes:
added: Settings: Other: Ignore line breaks in PDF
fixed: displaying variants of translated phrases
fixed: copy text in fly-window / bottom-panel
fixed: minor bug fixes
MPC-BE

Post by MPC-BE »

Hi, my problem (with umatrix and ublock and automatic translation) someone else?: http://i.pi.gy/Bq4WJ.gif

Cheers
(sorry for my english)

edit:it is a new profile only umatrix s3 ublock and IDM
zamar27

Post by zamar27 »

pag77 wrote:why did you decide that someone is following you through my addon?
Because I can see using Windows tools some processing done every time I select a text on a webpage for which I don't need any translation, which is followed and after your addon buttons appearing, on some sites overlapping the selected text and interfering with copy-paste operations. I can use Wireshark to filter relevant traffic too. The bottom line is, such addons providing ongoing communication with the web without user control, must provide easy switch off function to honor user privacy and security on sites chosen by the user. I do understand it may interfere with your profit, but Firefox will honor user security over it. I already discussed certain security aspects with them, and ask you again to provide S3 switch off menu option, just like most other addons do that have permission to send data over web and monitor user input. The short answer is: Your addon should not be active on sites for which user doesn't need translation. Since this is a security issue, if you refuse to provide easy switch off option in S3 button menu, I'll ask Firefox and Chrome security teams to interfere. :(

Generally, if you look at many current addon devs activities, too many folks started demanding way too many permissions at addon install obviously abusing Firefox devs heavy load at current very busy addon transition time. I observe some simplest addons asking a dozen of permissions totally unrelated to their function, and not providing the user with any justification at all, and neither any way to audit and revoke such permissions after install. This is a major security weakness of current Firefox addon solution as I see it. In the future, as I understand Firefox team will provide more narrow design guidelines for addons, related to user security and permissions, most of which should be optional, justified in detail by devs, listed on internal browser addons page, and revocable by user at any time. :wink: Btw, Android apps permissions are fully controlled by users, listed after install and revocable any time.
Last edited by zamar27 on November 30th, 2017, 10:51 am, edited 3 times in total.
pag77

Post by pag77 »

MPC-BE wrote:Hi, my problem (with umatrix and ublock and automatic translation) someone else?: http://i.pi.gy/Bq4WJ.gif
Thank you!
Your s3.translator version?
zamar27 wrote:Because I can see using Windows tools some processing done every time I select a text on a webpage for which I don't need any translation, which is followed and after your addon buttons appearing, on some sites overlapping the selected text and interfering with copy-paste operations.
Please show logs
zamar27 wrote:Since this is a security issue, if you refuse to provide easy switch off option in S3 button menu, I'll ask Firefox to interfere.
if you are dissatisfied with something: Please uninstall and forget about S3.Translator and search another add-on:
https://addons.mozilla.org/firefox/sear ... rm=windows
zamar27

Post by zamar27 »

pag77 wrote: if you are dissatisfied with something: Please uninstall and forget about S3.Translator and search another add-on
OK, it was your choice. I was as nice to you as I can. Its not about my satisfaction, but browser use security and privacy by the public.

Btw, Google Translate plugin and extension provides user with a choice to switch its active monitoring off, while based on it your extension does not:

pag77

Post by pag77 »

zamar27 wrote:OK, it was your choice. I was as nice to you as I can. Its not about my satisfaction, but browser use security by the public.
you accused me of spying the actions of users
please provide evidence (video and logs) about the fact that my addon monitors users

zamar27 wrote:Btw, Google Translate plugin and extension provides user with a choice to switch its active monitoring off, while based on it your extension does not
ok please uninstall S3.Translator and use only Google Translate plugin