Firefox 57 Slow and Laggy

User Help for Mozilla Firefox
t01m01

Re: Firefox 57 Slow and Laggy

Post by t01m01 »

I had similar problem and what helped me, is here:
https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/quest ... er-1032958

I copy the solution also here:
go to the firefox menu ≡ > options > privacy & security panel and under permissions check the setting to prevent accessibility services from accessing your browser.

Or, if you cannot get into Privacy and Security panel, which was my case, use this:
enter about:config into the firefox address bar (confirm the info message in case it shows up) & search for the preference named accessibility.force_disabled. double-click it, change its value to 1 and restart firefox once.
Gman2k8

Post by Gman2k8 »

Great News! I have updated to the latest Firefox Quantum 64bit version and now all three (Last Pass, No Script and FVD Speed Dial) of the plugins that I have been waiting on an upgrade has now been upgraded to work perfectly with the new Firefox version!!!
The new Firefox works so much better than all of the previous versions! Very fast and responsive. I am once again loving Firefox!
MarieJoe

Post by MarieJoe »

Firefox 57 is verrrrry sllooooowww and even totally freezes, often runs at 100% of CPU....worse than any previous version of FF...and I am talking almost for ten years.
This is even after I have stopped using some extensions, and others that are no longer supported.

Now, and until it's fixed, I'm using another, less mainstream browser.

I was really expecting wonders from all the pre release hype.

[-( [-( [-(
Win7 , 8G RAM, Firefox 57
(updated 11/30/2017), MalwareBytes, Webroot
DanRaisch

Post by DanRaisch »

Firefox 57 is verrrrry sllooooowww and even totally freezes,
Not here and not for most folks posting on these forums. Have you tried starting Firefox in Mozilla Safe Mode? http://kb.mozillazine.org/Safe_mode
If no improvement using Safe Mode, do you have the same problem if you create a new profile and test it with no extensions or non-default themes installed?
http://kb.mozillazine.org/Profile_Manager
and
http://kb.mozillazine.org/Creating_a_ne ... on_Windows

What security software is running on that system?
MarieJoe

Post by MarieJoe »

DanRaisch wrote:
Firefox 57 is verrrrry sllooooowww and even totally freezes,
Not here and not for most folks posting on these forums. Have you tried starting Firefox in Mozilla Safe Mode? http://kb.mozillazine.org/Safe_mode
If no improvement using Safe Mode, do you have the same problem if you create a new profile and test it with no extensions or non-default themes installed?
http://kb.mozillazine.org/Profile_Manager
and
http://kb.mozillazine.org/Creating_a_ne ... on_Windows

What security software is running on that system?
I'll have to try those ideas....time permitting.
Although what good is starting in Safe Mode?
Also, a new profile? No, I used to do that...and have been told it slows down the PC. Starting a new profile for one browser seems a bit extreme.

I use Webroot and Malwarebytes, which pose no problems with other browsers.....or with the prevision edition of FF.
Frank Lion

Post by Frank Lion »

MarieJoe wrote:I'll have to try those ideas....time permitting.
Although what good is starting in Safe Mode?
Also, a new profile?
Try actually reading the links given and it tells you why.
No, I used to do that...and have been told it slows down the PC.
Whoever told you that was wrong.
"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil, is for good men to do nothing." - Edmund Burke (attrib.)
DanRaisch

Post by DanRaisch »

Also, a new profile? No, I used to do that...and have been told it slows down the PC. Starting a new profile for one browser seems a bit extreme.
Not a new Windows user profile (which would not slow down your PC) but a new Firefox profile, which would DEFINITELY NOT slow down your PC.
I use Webroot and Malwarebytes, which pose no problems with other browsers.....or with the prevision edition of FF.

Your overlooking the many threads on these forums where the massive lags or crashes attributed to a new version of Firefox were proved to be caused by security software (sometimes Webroot) that failed to recognize an updated Firefox as the same program that was approved to access the Internet before the update.
MarieJoe

Post by MarieJoe »

DanRaisch wrote:
Your overlooking the many threads on these forums where the massive lags or crashes attributed to a new version of Firefox were proved to be caused by security software (sometimes Webroot) that failed to recognize an updated Firefox as the same program that was approved to access the Internet before the update.
I only recently got Webroot.
The lags on previous versions of FF happened with other AV programs.
And other browsers worked fine....and fast.
FF was hasn't been a speedy browser for me for many years, over several AVs and more than one computer.
DanRaisch

Post by DanRaisch »

And other browsers worked fine....and fast.
FF was hasn't been a speedy browser for me for many years, over several AVs and more than one computer.
Did those other browsers update during the time you're referring to? Did you ever try a new profile in Firefox during that time?
MarieJoe

Post by MarieJoe »

DanRaisch wrote: Did those other browsers update during the time you're referring to? Did you ever try a new profile in Firefox during that time?
Yes, those browsers did update...and yes at some point I did a new profile.
I remember because it created a separate file on the desktop, and I had to reinstall my bookmarks from backup.
DanRaisch

Post by DanRaisch »

Then you didn't create the new profile as recommended but used the "Refresh Firefox" option. That does result in a new profile but adds the unnecessary complication of moving the data from the old profile to the desktop. Simply creating a new profile would have provided access to both the old and the new, unmodified profile through the Profile Manager.
And the point of creating a new profile is so that things can be tested without any extensions or old data which might have been the cause of the problem. The old data can be migrated later after it has been determined whether the new profile has eliminated the problems.
Are you running Malwarebytes and Webroot as live scanners at the same time?
MarieJoe

Post by MarieJoe »

DanRaisch wrote:Are you running Malwarebytes and Webroot as live scanners at the same time?
Both are are providing real-time protection, if that is what you mean.

Neither are causing issues with other apps or browsers.

That profile thing will have to wait for daylight and a fresh set of eyes. :D