Bookmark icons in Firefox 57

User Help for Mozilla Firefox
jrawle

Bookmark icons in Firefox 57

Post by jrawle »

Since the update to Firefox 57, bookmarks no longer appear to show favicon.ico as the bookmark icon. Instead they use some other icon, which seems to be a larger icon scaled down so does not look as good.

For example, my bookmark for the BBC News website now shows a red square with BBC NEWS in white lettering, rather than the simple black BBC logo. However, the simple logo is still used as the site icon in the tab title, and is actually the icon http://www.bbc.co.uk/favicon.ico

It seems favicon is still used for the site icon in tabs, but some other icon is used for the bookmark icon.

Does anyone know:
  • What is the location of these new-style icons on a webserver, I mean the equivalent of /facivon.ico? There must be a standard, but I have not managed to find it.
  • Is it possible to set a preference to revert to showing the old-style favicons for bookmarks?
Thanks in advance.
jrawle

Re: Bookmark icons in Firefox 57

Post by jrawle »

To answer my own question partly, these icons are defined by a "link" tag, and Firefox must be using a variety of possible icons including Apple touch icons. I don't understand why the icon used isn't consistent. Why are different icons used for bookmarks than in other places such as tabs?

Does anyone know of a way to disable all these larger icons and use only favicons for everything?
8-bit

Post by 8-bit »

I had an extension that interfered with "capturing" the favicon when bookmarking a site. Are you running any extensions?
Gingerbread Man

Post by Gingerbread Man »

While Firefox is closed, cut favicons.sqlite from your profile folder and paste it to the desktop. After restarting, launch your bookmark and see if there's any improvement. If not, while Firefox is closed, replace the new favicons.sqlite in your profile folder with the copy on your desktop.
RobertJ

Post by RobertJ »

I believe it is because you bookmark is at http://www.bbc.co.uk/news and you are being redirected to http://www.bbc.com/news

EDIT: Not the solution. Seems like there is some code on the site that uses different icons.

FF 92.0 - TB 78.13 - Mac OSX 10.13.6
RobertJ

Post by RobertJ »

The only site I found your issue on is the BBC. Do you have another example?

MarkRH

Post by MarkRH »

This is related to a couple bugs:
1403504 - Bookmarks toolbar doesn't use regular favicons
1403829 - YouTube icon doesn't look good in Firefox

The discrepancy between what the Tab and Bookmark Favicon shows looks to be fixed in 58.
RobertJ

Post by RobertJ »

MarkRH, just checked and you are correct =D>

jrawle

Post by jrawle »

Thanks for all the replies. I did a bit more digging and found some of the bug reports about bookmark icons.

I do prefer the old-style icons as they are designed to display small, whereas new ones like the BBC icon are meant to be shortcut icons on a phone's home screen, not a small menu icon. However, my main issue is that the icons for the bookmarks and tabs must be the same, otherwise it's terrible UI design as the brain can't quickly associate the two, and surely quick identification is the point of having an icon. As long as the two are consistent in future versions, I suppose I can live with the small, fuzzy icons.