Linux - Hide Titlebar.

Discuss various technical topics not related to Mozilla.
Frank Lion

Linux - Hide Titlebar.

Post by Frank Lion »

Depending which Window Manager you have, it can be a swine to hide the OS titlebar and, I think, it is a pretty essential to do so with browsers.

The introduction of Firefox 57 messed up my 'Toggle Titlebar' custombuttom, so another route was needed. This - http://forums.mozillazine.org/viewtopic ... #p14780148 is not a great solution. I had already checked it out and found it wanting.

I decided an OS wide solution would have wider benefits (other browsers and other programs) and came up with a winner -

#1. sudo apt-get install maximus
#2. Add to autostarting programs.
#3. You're done.

You can add, I'm told, the gconf-editor to fine tune stuff, presumably to white/black list programs from its impact, but I didn't bother.

Maximus doesn't so much have a learning curve, as takes getting used to. I'm not used to having Terminal or text editors opening maximised, let alone with no titlebar. But, if that happens you just right click on its entry on taskbar and select Restore.

Seriously, this is a seriously good find. :P

@ Windows users - no, I'm not talking about the faux UI titlebar in Firefox aka #titlebar on a DOM level. This is the OS titlebar and on Linux some Windows Managers have a Undecorate option and some don't. Go away and concern yourself with Windows type stuff, like you would do if this was about a Mac. ;)
"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil, is for good men to do nothing." - Edmund Burke (attrib.)
Frank Lion

Re: Linux - Hide Titlebar.

Post by Frank Lion »

Related - Linux users - try Alt + F8 sometime. Very useful.
"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil, is for good men to do nothing." - Edmund Burke (attrib.)
Frenzie

Re: Linux - Hide Titlebar.

Post by Frenzie »

That's resize window in most WMs I figure? Also try right clicking and dragging on your window while keeping Alt pressed. And of course left clicking and dragging while keeping Alt pressed. And Alt+F11.

Just like in MS Windows you can generally access many of those functions without remembering shortcuts with Alt+Space.

tl;dr Read your WM's manual. :P
Intelligent alien life does exist, otherwise they would have contacted us.