Bookmarks Toolbar items slide off the left edge

User Help for Mozilla Firefox
biriss

Bookmarks Toolbar items slide off the left edge

Post by biriss »

[NOT LINUX]

WORKAROUND: Toggling the View > Toolbars > Bookmarks Toolbar off and on in the menu resets things back to normal without having to exit.

(Original post below.)

In Firefox 57 64-bit on Windows 7 64-bit, if I drag and drop a link from the URL bar to add a bookmark to a subfolder on the right side of my Bookmarks Toolbar, sometimes all the items (bookmarks/folders) will slide leftwards off the edge of the window and I haven't figured out how to get them to snap back into place without exiting the browser and re-launching it.

On the right side of the toolbar there is a drop down arrow menu that shows extra bookmarks off the edge of the right side, but there is no arrow or slider to scroll back to the left side when bookmarks are pushed off the left edge. I thought it might have been due to my UserChome.css settings, so I renamed it and re-opened Firefox, but the same issue occurs with defaults (no custom UserChrome.css).

Is anyone else seeing this? Any ideas on how to get the bookmarks to slide back right to their original position? Or is there a way to disable the automatic leftward sliding and lock Bookmark Toolbar items in place?

I know I can get to my bookmarks from the Bookmarks menu, but I would rather keep my Bookmarks Toolbar items in place with my frequently used sites on the left.
Last edited by biriss on December 1st, 2017, 8:57 am, edited 5 times in total.
smsmith

Re: Bookmarks Toolbar items slide off the left edge of windo

Post by smsmith »

Try unmaximizing and maximizing the window (or the reverse if the window isn't maximized to start with).
Give a man a fish, and he eats for a day. Teach a man to fish, and he eats for a lifetime.
I like poetry, long walks on the beach and poking dead things with a stick.
Please do not PM me for personal support. Keep posts here in the Forums instead and we all learn.
Grumpus

Re: Bookmarks Toolbar items slide off the left edge [Linux.]

Post by Grumpus »

Have you tried going to the end of the bookmarks toolbar and then hitting the arrows.
Some functions need to go to the end to start a reverse?
Doesn't matter what you say, it's wrong for a toaster to walk around the house and talk to you
biriss

Re: Bookmarks Toolbar items slide off the left edge

Post by biriss »

Thanks for the replies. I gave both suggestions a try without success, but I did find a glaringly obvious workaround. Toggling the View > Toolbars > Bookmarks Toolbar off and on in the menu resets things back to normal without having to exit.

It would still be nice to find a solution to lock the Bookmarks Toolbar items so they don't slide off the left side of the window or at least have them automatically snap back into their original position after being pushed out of view.

I also updated the original post to clarify that this is a Windows 7 64-bit and Firefox 57 64-bit issue.
Last edited by biriss on December 1st, 2017, 8:56 am, edited 2 times in total.
LIMPET235

Post by LIMPET235 »

Thank you.
It does help greatly if the OS is included but I'm afraid that it's just over looked in most cases.
We usually just look at the User Agent......:)
[Ancient Amateur Astronomer.]
Win-10-H/64 bit/500G SSD/16 Gig Ram/450Watt PSU/350WattUPS/Firefox-115.0.2/T-bird-115.3.2./SnagIt-v10.0.1/MWP-7.12.125.

(Always choose the "Custom" Install.)
biriss

Post by biriss »

I finally came up with a userChrome.css fix that seems to be working, so I don't have to constantly reset the Bookmarks Toolbar.

Code: Select all

/* FIX bookmarks toolbar items sliding off left edge */
#personal-bookmarks .bookmarks-toolbar-items, #PlacesToolbarItems {
	position: fixed;
	z-index: 0;
	width: 97%;
	overflow: visible;
	white-space: nowrap;
}
#PersonalToolbar #PlacesChevron {
	position:relative;
	display: block !important;
	visibility: visible !important;
	z-index: 99999 !important;
}
To add to my original description of the problem: I now see that it happens when I try to drag a new bookmark from the URL bar to any Bookmarks Toolbar folder on the right end of the Bookmarks Toolbar, then drag all the way down to the bottom of the initial page of the dropdown bookmark list, triggering the next page of bookmarks below to auto scroll vertically upwards. For some reason, that also causes the main Bookmarks Toolbar items to shift left horizontally off the edge of browser window, hiding them from view. And unlike the the folder dropdown, the leftward slide doesn't reset or snap back into place until I manually disable and re-enable the display of the Bookmarks Toolbar in the View menu.

I still don't really know what's causing it. My searches haven't turned up similar issues. Without this fix, even with an empty userChrome.css I still have the issue.