FF57 - can't move buttons from overflow area

User Help for Mozilla Firefox
Ed1

FF57 - can't move buttons from overflow area

Post by Ed1 »

I have a number of addons that place buttons on the Nav toolbar. Due to the number of them involved, some/many wind up in the overflow area accessible by the chevron on the right side of the toolbar.

I want to move some of the buttons currently in the overflow area to the main toolbar, recognizing that some others may be bumped into the overflow area. But in Customizing mode, none of the buttons in the overflow area are visible so they can't be moved. So no reordering involving those buttons can be done.

This seems like a mistake in FF. Am I missing something?
LIMPET235

Re: FF57 - can't move buttons from overflow area

Post by LIMPET235 »

Hi,
Depending on exactly how you have your Toolbars set up,
Have you tried moving say, the URL/Search box into the Customize palette
to give you access to those "other" buttons?
Then after you move them to wherever, just move the URL/Search box back.
I had trouble "re-positioning" a few buttons as well.
NB: You can place buttons on the RHS of the Tab Bar as well, if required.
[Ancient Amateur Astronomer.]
Win-10-H/64 bit/500G SSD/16 Gig Ram/450Watt PSU/350WattUPS/Firefox-115.0.2/T-bird-115.3.2./SnagIt-v10.0.1/MWP-7.12.125.

(Always choose the "Custom" Install.)
Frank Lion

Post by Frank Lion »

*cough* the urlbar doesn't remove from the Nav Bar, it was one of the 'improvements' they introduced in Australis in 2014. Until recently, a simple extension allowed it to be moved to other toolbars, but they have now ended that as well.

As you say, dragging off the extension buttons you can see to another toolbar, like the tab bar, and so revealing the hidden ones and then moving them around...would work.
"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil, is for good men to do nothing." - Edmund Burke (attrib.)
Ed1

Post by Ed1 »

Thanks, guys. The search box and some of the buttons can be temporarily moved, as you suggested. But this is cumbersome and non-intuitive way to deal with this issue. I don't know if there is a technical issue preventing displaying and grabbing buttons in the overflow area while in Customizing mode, but this is certainly not a very polished way of doing it.

Of course, this issue is exacerbated by FF no longer allowing the user to have an extra blank toolbar to use for buttons.

Thanks for your comments.