Anybody noticed scrolling problems with Firefox 57?

User Help for Mozilla Firefox
FrankSMS

Re: Anybody noticed scrolling problems with Firefox 57?

Post by FrankSMS »

Until something is updated in the browser and that extension with many others becomes functionless. How many times has this happened? Lots. That's why I try to fix it in the browser itself. Relying on an extension rarely an ideal way to go.

I'm trying that Yet Another Smooth Scrolling WE extension and seem to be having some interaction problems with my Kensington Trackball. It was good with the keyboard. Great control. I'll play around with it some more. Definitely mouse control is important. Especially the wheel these days as so many websites have ads that can be avoided by not having them displayed by moving the page just a little up or down.
Wiggam72

Post by Wiggam72 »

Hey!! That's what I have! I have the Kensington Expert Mouse Wireless Trackball. Which one do you have?

The one I have is the top of the line trackball they have. It's an excellent mouse. It takes a couple of days to get used to it and for the ball to loosen up. It has TrackballWorks which is where you configure the various settings.

If you have the same mouse, I can easily help you with it. Even if it's a different model, I still should be able to help.
FrankSMS

Post by FrankSMS »

Kensington Expert non-wireless. Its good except that it does get dirty/dusty and needs a good disassembly and cleaning once in a while, something that few users probably do. I liked the Microsoft Trackball Explorer better but they are so expensive now on the used market. Can't imagine why they stopped making that thing. Along with the Microsoft 4000 Ergonomic keyboard, they were both great.

I'm finding some scrolling anomalies sometimes but am unsure if its the Kensington or some interaction between it and some programs. Need to thoroughly take it apart to know for sure. There may be dust in the wheel sensor. Though on most programs it seems flawless.

I tried X-Mouse which was interesting but it seemed to have some interaction problems with the Kensington. I should try other mouse programs. You don't realize how important it is until you upgrade it. Then you think, "How did I deal with such incapacitated control before?" :)

Have you ever needed to clean your scrolling wheel? The ball is easy to keep polished and clean but the ball sensors can accumulate dust easily. I use an old toothbrush to get at them. Seems to work well.

Got a 3D mouse but never got very accustomed to it. Seems more for design work. Quite a specialty item.
James

Post by James »

I like the older Logitech Trackman T-CH11, T-CL13, T-BB13 thumb trackballs better. I like them as they are more flatter compared to the T-BB18, M570 and the recent new MX ERGO trackball and the old Microsoft TrackBall Optical and because I can use three fingers vs two. I agree these trackballs needs to be cleaned every so bit especially on bearings.

Logitech has similar trackball to the Microsoft Trackball Explorer which is the Logitech Trackman Marble FX. I have two FX and it is definitely not as easy to get comfortable using in a short time compared to say a thumb trackball.

Came across this discussion and trackball comparison reviews.
https://www.reddit.com/r/Trackballs/com ... bk_review/
https://imgur.com/gallery/MOO81#qmIzhWV
FrankSMS

Post by FrankSMS »

Wow. Lots of models to try out. Yeah, a lot of people like the Logitech ones. Thanks.
Wiggam72

Post by Wiggam72 »

It accumulates a little dust now and then, but I just remove the ball and pluck out most of it with my fingers. For the rest of what's left, I just blow and then wipe it out with tissue.

Aren't you using TrackballWorks to configure your mouse? If not, you should go to their site and DL the latest version. I set it up so it can DragLock, forward, back, scroll up (I use that for a particular program because it scrolls in very small increments) and of course right and left-click. I posted a pic of my TrackballWorks Button settings.

What I did was first set up the scroll speed and everything else with TrackballWorks. My pointer speed settings (under Pointer) are at full speed. The sliders are all the way to the right. Under Scrolling, the slider is set at the first line from the far left. Then once you get things close to how you want them, then you use Yet Another Smooth Scrolling WE.

I suggest you try all the performance settings I've outlined including the one I gave you for Yet Another Smooth Scrolling WE. Let me know how it works out.

BTW, you better return the browser back to the default mouse setting because it will probably interfere with the Yet Another Smooth Scrolling WE mouse settings.

FrankSMS

Post by FrankSMS »

> BTW, you better return the browser back to the default mouse setting because it will probably interfere with the Yet Another Smooth Scrolling WE mouse settings.

You mean return the the Kensington driver settings back to the default?
Wiggam72

Post by Wiggam72 »

moz2u wrote:> BTW, you better return the browser back to the default mouse setting because it will probably interfere with the Yet Another Smooth Scrolling WE mouse settings.

You mean return the the Kensington driver settings back to the default?
No. I was referring to this.
S3ndG wrote:Hi,
for those who got keyboard scrolling issues, try in about:config to set the preference named apz.keyboard.enabled to False to see if it solves them (just double-click on the preference to switch between true and false value).
Then do the settings that I posted.
Wiggam72

Post by Wiggam72 »

moz2u, how did things work out? Where you able to set up the mouse per the instructions I gave?
FrankSMS

Post by FrankSMS »

I cannot for the life of me figure out what's causing this scrolling problem. I see it on almost any website with media on it. Even on this page. I'm on the bottom of the page typing this and when I PageUp it gets "confused" where your image is displayed. The strange thing is if I use the SpaceBar and Shift SpaceBar for going up it seems to be flawless. I thought the SpaceBar replicated PageDown but for some reason its being interpreted differently. And accurately. I should mention that on some pages the apz.keyboard.enabled option does help but not all. The more media that is trying to be played the harder it seems for Firefox to deal with PageUp and PageDown. Simple pages work fine.
Wiggam72

Post by Wiggam72 »

I hope you understand that I want your FF web mouse/keyboard settings to be set to the default and not what someone suggested you change it to. The reason is because it will probably screw up the functionality of the mouse and keyboard when using TrackballWorks and Yet Another Smooth Scrolling WE.

What keyboard are you using? Does it do the same thing in other browsers? It's a possibility that your keyboard is bad or going bad.

Almost forgot, what about scrolling with the mouse? After you make sure your FF web mouse/keyboard settings are at the default, do you understand how to first set up TrackballWorks, and then set up Yet Another Smooth Scrolling WE?

If those things are done correctly, it might fix the problem you're having.
FrankSMS

Post by FrankSMS »

Wiggam72 wrote:I hope you understand that I want your FF web mouse/keyboard settings to be set to the default and not what someone suggested you change it to. The reason is because it will probably screw up the functionality of the mouse and keyboard when using TrackballWorks and Yet Another Smooth Scrolling WE.

What keyboard are you using? Does it do the same thing in other browsers? It's a possibility that your keyboard is bad or going bad.

Almost forgot, what about scrolling with the mouse? After you make sure your FF web mouse/keyboard settings are at the default, do you understand how to first set up TrackballWorks, and then set up Yet Another Smooth Scrolling WE?

If those things are done correctly, it might fix the problem you're having.
Didn't realize there were any mouse/keyboard settings besides the apz one in about:config. I'm not using any mouse gestures (if that is applicable). I'm using a Microsoft wired 4000 ergonomic. All other programs and browsers have proper scrolling. I don't think I've changed any settings in TrackballWorks except for 2 upper button assignments which are now a very handy PageDown and PageUp. Those work fine (like the Spacebar / Shift_SpaceBar).

I'll review my settings in the Kensington program again soon just to be sure and make sure they're all at default just to rule that out. And I need to really clean that scrollwheel too. Its been a little jerky in the last few months but otherwise fine.
Wiggam72

Post by Wiggam72 »

Yes, the FF browser settings I'm referring to is the apz.keyboard one in about:config.

Ah, the keyboard you're using could be the culprit. I think a relative of mine has one and experiences several problems like what you're having. It looks like yours. I would have to contact my relative to find out exactly which one it is.

Here's another way to check your scrolling. Oh, I should tell you that using the On-Screen Keyboard can usually fix certain kinds of keyboard problems-at least temporarily until whatever triggered the problem raises its ugly head again.

I use Windows 7 so how to access the On-Screen Keyboard could be different. I'm sure you can just enter On-Screen Keyboard in the search. In Windows 7 without using the search feature: click on the Windows Start button > All Programs > Accessories > Ease Of Access > On-Screen Keyboard.

Use the mouse to click on the up and down arrow keys. If you hold the mouse left-click button down on the up or down arrow keys it should continue to scroll and the speed should increase a bit until you release the button. This will let you know whether or not the keyboard is the problem. Also, let me know when using the On-Screen Keyboard if you still have the image problem in this thread that you reported earlier. If everything scrolls properly with the On-Screen Keyboard, then more than likely the problem is your keyboard.

Do you have another keyboard you can try if the On-Screen Keyboard works properly?

Here are my mouse settings for the add-on Yet Another Smooth Scrolling WE. The second image is after clicking on the gear-looking thing. I think those are the default settings. I don't remember changing any of those settings. Also, remember I didn't change the default keyboard settings in Yet Another Smooth Scrolling WE.