RSS: Where is the thumbnail?

User Help for Mozilla Thunderbird
FrankSMS

RSS: Where is the thumbnail?

Post by FrankSMS »

I was using Opera Mail for RSS and when I got a message it displayed a thumbnail if that was in the original post. In Thunderbird I see no thumbnail. Is this an option I can activate? A setting?
Thumbnails are most useful when scanning many postings! I see its an attachment at the bottom. How to get it to open by default? Clicking on that attachment button hundreds of times a day....wow....not good.
WaltS48

Re: RSS: Where is the thumbnail?

Post by WaltS48 »

moz2u wrote:I was using Opera Mail for RSS and when I got a message it displayed a thumbnail if that was in the original post. In Thunderbird I see no thumbnail. Is this an option I can activate? A setting?
Thumbnails are most useful when scanning many postings! I see its an attachment at the bottom. How to get it to open by default? Clicking on that attachment button hundreds of times a day....wow....not good.
Have you tried opening the post in a tab?

Right click on the message and select "Open Message in New Tab".
Linux Desktop - AMD Athlon(tm) II X3 455 3.3GHz | 8.0GB RAM | GeForce GT 630
Windows Notebook - AMD A8 7410 2.2GHz | 6.0GB RAM | AMD Radeon R5
FrankSMS

Post by FrankSMS »

Not sure what the difference is between this and just opening the message in a browser.
I tried it and though it was nice to see the actual message, no photo appeared. In Opera Mail the thumbnail is displayed. Another problem I noticed, and this is probably the result of a setting in the photo program I'm using, is that the thumbnail is automatically stretched to full screen view, and, because of its very low resolution (14 kb) it can't be deciphered. Is it possible to get a higher resolution for the thumbnail? Opera only shows a tiny thumbnail so this may be controlled by the RSS feed. If one could change that it would be fantastic. Just to see a little bit more. Often a picture tells us so much and helps determine whether the post is worth opening or not. When you look at hundreds or thousands of posts daily this is really important. Most people have no idea how productive RSS readers can be. They help you sift through voluminous amounts of data very efficiently IF certain criteria are met. If any of you can recommend a favorite RSS reader, please do.
WaltS48

Post by WaltS48 »

Do you have View > Display attachments inline enabled?
FrankSMS

Post by FrankSMS »

I didn't. Will that show thumbnails? If so, thank you very much.
WaltS48

Post by WaltS48 »

moz2u wrote:I didn't. Will that show thumbnails? If so, thank you very much.
I wouldn't know. None of my RSS feeds have attachments. I don't know what posts from what RSS feed you are having the problem.

You will have to enable View > Display attachments inline enabled and let us know if that fixes your issue.
FrankSMS

Post by FrankSMS »

I tried View > Display attachments. Doesn't change anything.
I'm looking at for-sale posts so images are really important.
For design type blogs/forums its the same. Images rock.
Now I need to find out how to get images greater than 14 kb. That is not much detail to work with!
WaltS48

Post by WaltS48 »

Try this.

Select a message and go to Menu button or bar > View > Feed Message Body As, and select Web Page.
FrankSMS

Post by FrankSMS »

I don't have any messages to view at the moment but I'll definitely try all of these in these Feed options. I missed that before. Thank you. This looks very hopeful.
FrankSMS

Post by FrankSMS »

So I tried the View > Feed Message Body As and all the options.
This program seems to be designed by people that couldn't care less about RSS reading.
Every option either doesn't show the price, doesn't show the message or doesn't show the picture. Its like they have to withdraw one feature to offer another. Bizarre program. Great for email. Awful for RSS. Maybe the parameters of the two are simply very different and difficult to integrate into one program.
When you read RSS you want to see as much of the post as possible. The less you need to go to the website the better. This saves time and should be of the highest priority in a RSS program. No need to load all the graphics of the page. Just the pertinent details which would be the title and message (size controlled by the reader). And a bloody pic if displayed on the web! Is that really asking so much? I have to admit I haven't tried any other RSS readers except Opera Mail which is by no means perfect so I can't compare Thunderbird against them. I know I should before I complain so much about Thunderbird. Maybe nobody does these things.
FrankSMS

Post by FrankSMS »

Wanted to add a curious thing I noticed. When View > Feed Message Body As > Webpage is chosen none of the text of the post is displayed. The image is not there either. Just the outlines of frames. And the title. When I hover the mouse pointer over the images it turns into a hand indicating a hyperlink. When I click on it nothing happens though.
Shouldn't the webpage be replicated here? And why remove the actual post, the 2nd most important part of it besides the title?
Last edited by FrankSMS on December 5th, 2017, 10:58 am, edited 2 times in total.
FrankSMS

Post by FrankSMS »

I am not grasping the reasoning of offering these options. They all seem to do the same thing.
View > Feed Message Body As > Summary
Original HTML, Simple HTML and Plain Text all display the same info. Maybe its because of the feed I'm reading that isn't offering HTML features.
Switching between Summary and Default Format doesn't seem to make any difference either. Huh?
WaltS48

Post by WaltS48 »

Can't be of much help without seeing the feed in my Thunderbird.

I don't get feed posts with attachments and, what I do get with images and videos work just fine.

Have you tried in Safe Mode or with a test profile?
FrankSMS

Post by FrankSMS »

Now the attachment image is showing. I have no idea why. :)
I must have changed a setting or combination of settings. Something was blocking it before. I remember definitely activating "Display Attachments Inline" before.
I have it set at View > Feed Message Body As > Summary / Plain Text though it really doesn't matter if I select Plain Text, Simple HTML or Original HTML. The message body is displayed with the attachment. The only thing missing is the price. Only one thing left to figure out. The price on this website is in a different frame. I get it relatively quickly by hitting the Enter key which will display the Title and Price on another tab. But not the description.....argh.