Alternative to MozBackup?

User Help for Mozilla Firefox
DaveImagery

Alternative to MozBackup?

Post by DaveImagery »

I've been using MozBackup for while, but sadly it hasn't been updated for a long time. Anyone know of an alternative?

Thanks

DanRaisch

Re: Alternative to MozBackup?

Post by DanRaisch »

walkerpbus

Post by walkerpbus »

DanRaisch wrote:See this article -- http://kb.mozillazine.org/Profile_backup
Result is a zip file, not something to install. The date on the module is 2012
Win 10 Pro desktop, but now 64-bit latest Windows 10. Usually latest or latest-1 Thunderbird on this machines.
DanRaisch

Post by DanRaisch »

Result is a zip file,
The result of WHAT is a zip file?
walkerpbus

Post by walkerpbus »

DanRaisch wrote:
Result is a zip file,
The result of WHAT is a zip file?
The profile page:
While Mozbackup is extremely popular in the forums, it's no longer maintained. Its recommended that you verify that you can restore a backup it creates before relying upon it. Use Mozbackup 1.5.2 Beta 1 (there is a download link for it in the News section) rather than the version available at the normal download link. Mozbackup 1.5.1 usually works fine but a few users have had problems where it doesn't backup everything it is supposed to. The beta doesn't seem to have that problem.
Below is the link. The zip file itself is dated 21012. Even if it were good & I hope, how does one install it?

http://mozbackup.jasnapaka.com/files/1. ... ta1-EN.zip
Win 10 Pro desktop, but now 64-bit latest Windows 10. Usually latest or latest-1 Thunderbird on this machines.
DanRaisch

Post by DanRaisch »

Download the ZIP file and unZip it. Among the files in the ZIP is one named MozBackup.exe. That's the executable.
RobertJ

Post by RobertJ »

Forgive my WIN ignorance but on Mac you can duplicate a directory (profile) by simply selecting it and hitting (Cmd + d) then copy it somewhere.

If you want something more automated you can create a simple script using Automator and run it automatically as a calendar event at a certain time each day. No application required.

Doesn't an equivalent exist in WIN?

FF 92.0 - TB 78.13 - Mac OSX 10.13.6
malliz
Folder@Home

Post by malliz »

In Windows Ctrl + C copies and Ctrl + V pastes. Quickest way to backup a profile but Moz Backup is/was a great tool
What sort of man would put a known criminal in charge of a major branch of government? Apart from, say, the average voter.
"Terry Pratchett"
DanRaisch

Post by DanRaisch »

Under Windows you can also just copy the entire profile by holding down the Ctrl key and dragging and dropping the directory to anotherfolder on the same drive. If you drag and drop the profile folder to another drive it will copy without the need for the Ctrl key and no need for MozBackup at all.

I don't know why people want to complicate things. [-X
malliz
Folder@Home

Post by malliz »

My external HD's usually have any number of profile copies using Dan's method. Another great tool used to be Pikes bookmark backups you had the option of what you wanted to backup and it could be set for time and on shutdown backups. Hell I miss that extension and no it wasn't a victim of Quantum
What sort of man would put a known criminal in charge of a major branch of government? Apart from, say, the average voter.
"Terry Pratchett"
DanRaisch

Post by DanRaisch »

I think copying the entire profile makes more sense. You can decide later what parts to restore if that becomes necessary. Copy just bits and you might not have the bit that went bad.
lovemyfoxy

Post by lovemyfoxy »

Isn't there a file backup utility in Windows?
2 Desktops--Win 7 Ult.SP1 x64/6GB RAM /Firefox 52.9ESR/Waterfox64 2022.11/Thunderbird 52.9ESR/BitWarden PW Manager/Verizon FIOS wired network
Brummelchen

Post by Brummelchen »

winrar a -r -agYYYY-MM-DD_HH-MM -inul d:\firefox_backup_ %appdata%\Mozilla\Firefox
rar a -r -agYYYY-MM-DD_HH-MM -inul d:\firefox_backup_ %appdata%\Mozilla\Firefox
(works also with trial)

7zG.exe a -r d:\firefox_backup %appdata%\Mozilla\Firefox
(backup file contains no time in name as winrar)

as link, as task, as batch - whatever... target to modify (d:\ )
RobertJ

Post by RobertJ »

Thanks all! I couldn't believe you needed a special program on WIN.

Brummelchen, I use a simple AppleScript (4 working statements + 4 setup statements) that generates an encrypted disk image file PROFILE_E_17-12-01.dmg every night. That file is then stored in the Cloud Backup I use for critical information. If I didn't want it encrypted it would only take two working statements although I'm paranoid

FF 92.0 - TB 78.13 - Mac OSX 10.13.6
Brummelchen

Post by Brummelchen »

as much i can i use 7z for compressing files. its open source, is uses compression (when needed), it is available for many OS. compression means save against attacks, but not ransomware if not secured or external and disconnected.

i want to show people that mozbackup was futile any time (any time buggy) and there a re more roads to rome (eg file history in windows 10).
Last edited by Brummelchen on December 3rd, 2017, 11:49 am, edited 1 time in total.