FF 57 - Missing toolbar icons on startup

User Help for Mozilla Firefox
FoxyFanny

Re: FF 57 - Missing toolbar icons on startup

Post by FoxyFanny »

siffemoz wrote:Refreshing creates a new profile while saving some things , so if refreshing doesn't help I sure don't know what will. Good luck :-)

https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb/re ... d-settings
Thanks.

My FF profile is backed up daily, so what I'll do is:-
- perform refresh
- restore my old profile back to the Profiles folder
- use the old profile now I know what the problem was, which is solved
- refer back to the old profile for add-ons, their settings and other stuff
- switch to and fro with the Profile Manager
- transfer settings info and reinstall add-ons to the new profile and gradually rebuild it, but minus years of old junk
- when that's OK, use the new profile as default and delete the old one

Hours of innocent fun ahead.

Interesting. It seems that refresh contains info on add-ons, as I have back mine, plus the Legacy list is repopulated as in my old 57 profile.
FoxyFanny

Post by FoxyFanny »

This problem is now resolved, if not exactly answered, and is, as I surmised latterly, connected with Themes from versions of FF prior to 57.

I now also have an almost pristine profile, which has shrunk from about 600mb (with redundant files and folders going back to 2013), to a rather more performance-enhancing and contemporary 108mb.

Thanks to all for comments and help.
siffemoz

Post by siffemoz »

Cool. I guess the addons came back because you were synching with another installation of FF somewhere?
FoxyFanny

Post by FoxyFanny »

siffemoz wrote:Cool. I guess the addons came back because you were synching with another installation of FF somewhere?
I don't think so, as this is the sole Windows installation, with my others being Android or iOS. As I understand, Sync, in the way I have it working, keeps bookmarks and other things like that synced between disparate devices, but of course add-ons in Win FF are unique to that set-up.

Of course, this is a FF 57 refresh, so perhaps it now works differently.