[Ext] Status-4-Evar 2017.03.19.12b

Announce and Discuss the Latest Theme and Extension Releases.
Brummelchen

Re: [Ext] Status-4-Evar 2017.03.19.12b

Post by Brummelchen »

wow, thank you sooo much for this conclusion - it makes all the threads about firefox 57 so futile. lets go back to v56 or 52esr and we are happy again. and lets bash mozilla all time for this nonsense. maybe they should be renamed into "goozillams" because firefox 57 is so similar in design to chrome and edge. you rule my world, word.
Sivabhaskar

Post by Sivabhaskar »

BlohoJo wrote:It's not possible to make a version that will work in Firefox 57. There's no "make an update" this time around. Mozilla has crippled the customizability of the browser in an attempt to make it "faster, like Chrome." This has had the opposite of the intended effect... driving existing Firefox users to Chrome instead of making them happier with Firefox updates.

If you want to stick with Mozilla and use add-ons like Status-4-Evar, use Firefox 52 ESR, Firefox 54, or Waterfox. (Firefox 55 and 56 do have legacy plugin support but these versions do cripple some legacy add-ons, so it's not recommended to use these versions if complete legacy add-on support is important to you.)
I am feeling sad to let this add-on go. Hopefully Bluefang could add -- as you put it -- at least a "crippled" version of Status-4-Evar to Firefox 57.0, with at least the features I used (how greedy and selfish! :P :oops: ). I used to use Status Text, Progress Status/Meter (would fill green color in address bar as the pages load) and the legacy status bar.

However, great work Bluefang! =D> =D> =D> =D> Your Add-On soared while it lasted!!!!
2101bob

Post by 2101bob »

I just don't get why FF has to become "like chrome" (or anything else for that matter). Mozilla knew full well that many users didn't like the departure of the status bar, but seem intent upon hurtling down that road. When Firefox arrived it was the best thing since Netscape, of course, and remained top dog by simply being better and liked by most of the users who managed to get beyond whatever default was dumped on them (or added by some idiot who clicked a button). So what's changed? I hate the new "modern" look in Quantum, and wonder who - outside the world of nerds who know how to measure them) - actually notices any of the nanoseconds it allegedly saves. Sounds like the end for FF ..?
Nehemoth

Post by Nehemoth »

2101bob wrote:I just don't get why FF has to become "like chrome" (or anything else for that matter). Mozilla knew full well that many users didn't like the departure of the status bar, but seem intent upon hurtling down that road. When Firefox arrived it was the best thing since Netscape, of course, and remained top dog by simply being better and liked by most of the users who managed to get beyond whatever default was dumped on them (or added by some idiot who clicked a button). So what's changed? I hate the new "modern" look in Quantum, and wonder who - outside the world of nerds who know how to measure them) - actually notices any of the nanoseconds it allegedly saves. Sounds like the end for FF ..?
Well, I do love those seconds because are real BUT my thoughts are with you on this. Don't know why the need to copy the style of Chrome, or even worst, removed the things that make Firefox different.

First the status bar when already there was an option to be removed If you didn't like like it.
Remove the edges from the tabs, and now Firefox looks awful with those square and like sharp edges.
The same with the APIs, to me Firefox 57 should have been released with a lot better API support.

Now I'll have to wait because never in this I will switch to Chrome. To Proud Phoenix user since 0.1
When once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been and there you will always long to return.

— Leonardo da Vinci
AlexNW

Post by AlexNW »

Hi. I have one problem with this add-on. The problem with progress status in address bar. Once I turned this function on, and it works fine. And now I decided to turn it off, but it's not! There is still green progress line in address bar. Try to reinstall the add-on, but it did not help - all old settings were stay (not default). How to solve this problem?
AlexNW

Post by AlexNW »

The problem has been solved. Just clean uninstalled add-on's trash via "Clean Uninstall" and then install Statu-4-Evar again.
KrazyK3210

Post by KrazyK3210 »

Since the latest update of Firefox, Status 4 Evar is no longer supported. They consider it a legacy item and no longer support them. Please update this to make it compatible.
WildcatRay

Post by WildcatRay »

KrazyK3210 wrote:Since the latest update of Firefox, Status 4 Evar is no longer supported. They consider it a legacy item and no longer support them. Please update this to make it compatible.
You need to read up on Firefox going to Webextension add-ons only to find out the reason why S4E no longer works on the latest release of the browser.
Ray

OS'es: 4 computers with Win10 Pro 64-bit; Current Firefox, Beta, Nightly, Chrome, Vivaldi
4td8s

Post by 4td8s »

KrazyK3210 wrote:Since the latest update of Firefox, Status 4 Evar is no longer supported. They consider it a legacy item and no longer support them. Please update this to make it compatible.
you need to contact Bluefang (the creator of the S4E addon) directly if he really wants to develop a webextension based version of S4E for FF 57+.
613 The Evil

Post by 613 The Evil »

I have this x button that hides the status bar. I am using 2017.08.20.15 version, in Waterfox, a Firefox clone that supports old extensions. I don't remember this button in earlier versions, when I was using Firefox, but now that it's there, it's annoying. Is it a feature of Status-4-Evar? Some other extension perhaps? How to get rid of it? :)
Grg68

Post by Grg68 »

613 The Evil wrote:Image

I have this x button that hides the status bar. I am using 2017.08.20.15 version, in Waterfox, a Firefox clone that supports old extensions. I don't remember this button in earlier versions, when I was using Firefox, but now that it's there, it's annoying. Is it a feature of Status-4-Evar? Some other extension perhaps? How to get rid of it? :)
I also use S4E, but the status bar created by this extension does not have "X" button, to close it.
Looking at your image, i think that most likely you use "Classic Theme Restorer" and this is the
status bar (or Add-on Bar) provided by this extension, which indeed has an "X" button.
You can see what is going on, by right-clicking on the status bar, or on any other toolbar, or by
looking at menu "View > Toolbars". If you see "Status Bar", this belongs to S4E. If you see "Add-on Bar",
this belongs to CTR.
Then, you can choose easily which one you like to use.
I hope this helps :-)
Grg
613 The Evil

Post by 613 The Evil »

Grg68 wrote:

I also use S4E, but the status bar created by this extension does not have "X" button, to close it.
Looking at your image, i think that most likely you use "Classic Theme Restorer" and this is the
status bar (or Add-on Bar) provided by this extension, which indeed has an "X" button.
You can see what is going on, by right-clicking on the status bar, or on any other toolbar, or by
looking at menu "View > Toolbars". If you see "Status Bar", this belongs to S4E. If you see "Add-on Bar",
this belongs to CTR.
Then, you can choose easily which one you like to use.
I hope this helps :-)
You nailed it! I am indeed using Add-on bar of CTRestorer instead of Status bar. I'll just select the other one from View and transfer all my icons etc. to it, let's see how well this goes eh? :)

Yep, all done, thanks!
Grg68

Post by Grg68 »

You nailed it! I am indeed using Add-on bar of CTRestorer instead of Status bar. I'll just select the other one from View and transfer all my icons etc. to it, let's see how well this goes eh? :)
Your icons will look almost the same. However, status bar of S4E has far more customization
possibilities.
You can look at S4E's options and also enter customization mode of Waterfox, to see what
you can do, to make your status bar looks and functions the way you like.
Grg
613 The Evil

Post by 613 The Evil »

Grg68 wrote:
Your icons will look almost the same. However, status bar of S4E has far more customization
possibilities.
You can look at S4E's options and also enter customization mode of Waterfox, to see what
you can do, to make your status bar looks and functions the way you like.
Yep, no worries, it works exactly as I want it to, now, thanks again. If this little x was bothering me, you can imagine I am a customization junkie and I don't let any settings/options unexplored, hehe.
msdobrescu

Post by msdobrescu »

AlexNW wrote:The problem has been solved. Just clean uninstalled add-on's trash via "Clean Uninstall" and then install Statu-4-Evar again.
Sorry to put such dumb question, but what do you mean by "Clean Uninstall"?