Thunderbird can't connect securely to website

User Help for Mozilla Thunderbird
Tsagoth

Thunderbird can't connect securely to website

Post by Tsagoth »

Few weeks ago Thunderbird 2.0.0.14 started saying "can't connect securely to website-archive.mozilla.org due to unavailable protocol" or some such, whenever I select an inbox. I don't have an account at mozilla and I don't archive stuff. So why is TB trying to connect, and how do I make it stop these connection attempts ?
tanstaafl

Re: Thunderbird can't connect securely to website

Post by tanstaafl »

Thunderbird connects to web servers hosted by Mozilla to get text for release notes, the optional startup page, help etc. If you were selecting one of those windows I could see how it might be redirected to a archive web site due to your using such a ancient version of Thunderbird, even though they shouldn't do that. But you stated it occurs when you select a inbox in the folder pane. Mozilla is not a email provider. I suggest you look at the server name in each accounts server settings and verify they are still correct (don't mention website-archive.mozilla.org). Perhaps something corrupted your account settings.

Why are you using such as obsolete version? You're not even using 2.0.0.24, the last update to version 2. You're ignoring over a decade of bugs fixes and new features, and hardly any of the several thousand add-ons will work with your version. If you want to stick with one version and not upgrade it would make sense to choose a much later version such as 45.8.0 .

http://kb.mozillazine.org/Go_back_to_an ... hunderbird
Tsagoth

Post by Tsagoth »

I have checked all the settings are there is nothing there for mozilla. It has nothing to do with getting mail, because when I launch TB it goes and fetches all the mail. After that, I don't ever see any status messages saying it's trying to do anything, but if I select any inbox, that message pops up. I can swap back and forth between the different inboxes, and it always shows up for each of them. If I do a "Get Mail" it doesn't happen during the mail process. It only happens when I an inbox gets focus.

As for using V2, it's what was current when I downloaded TB. I don't use add-ons, and this version of TB has always worked, so why would I upgrade it ? Software doesn't rust, so as long as a program remains functional and does what I want, why should I care if it's brand new or 40 years old ?
tanstaafl

Post by tanstaafl »

Mainly because of security bugs. Its nowhere near as important to keep a email client updated as a browser (despite what the developers will say), but its still something that should not be totally ignored. https://www.mozilla.org/en-US/security/ ... underbird/

Its also hard to get help for something as ancient as you are using.

I suggest you open the config editor at tools -> options -> advanced -> general -> config editor, type in website-archive.mozilla.org in the search field, and double check that nothing refers to it. I assume that feature is in your version, its so long ago I'm not certain. If not open prefs.js with Notepad (NOT a word processor) and search for that string.

Try running Thunderbird in safe mode (hold down the shift key when double clicking on the Thunderbird shortcut works with recent versions, or use help -> restart with add-ons disabled) to see if one of your add-ons is causing this. Another possibility would be security software such as your AV scanner, though I don't understand why it might ever try to contact website-archive.mozilla.org.

If none of this helps I suggest you post a screen shot of the error per http://kb.mozillazine.org/Posting_a_scr ... _the_forum
Tsagoth

Post by Tsagoth »

So I tried all that. There's no archive.mozilla in prefs.js; the only mozilla at all is under StoreContactidxx (xx is 1,2, 3 etc) for each account, which I assume is just some default text. Safe mode changes nothing.

There are no extensions, themes or addons installed and there is no AV or any kind of security software on this machine. Nothing to interfere with TB.

I was wrong about the inbox thing. Clicking any folder under an account will trigger the pause and then the message. It only does it once per account per session for whatever folder you happen to click under that account.

So I might as well post the screenshot I think at this point.

edit: I just looked at that vulnerabilities list. Maybe I'm better off with my ancient one, since a lot of that stuff seems to be new bugs introduced or for features v2 doesn't even have. Also, V2 was an upgrade, I still have 1.5.0.8 on some other machines still.
tanstaafl

Post by tanstaafl »

Are you using POP or IMAP accounts? Look at tools -> account settings -> account_name -> server settings -> Server Type if you don't know. A POP account will say "POP Mail Server".
Tsagoth

Post by Tsagoth »

All POP accounts. Security for most of them is set to never, and one has TLS if available.
tanstaafl

Post by tanstaafl »

Most mail servers (and web sites) have dropped support for SSL due to the poodle attack, even if they still document supporting SSL. In Thunderbird's case, selecting SSL/TLS nowadays only uses TLS. "TLS if available" is no longer supported. I think this change occurred around 2014.

Its unusual, and a not a good sign, if several of your email providers don't support a secure connection. Many of the email providers that supported a encrypted password in the authentication method appear to have dropped support for that and reply upon a secure connection nowadays. So there is a good chance you are sending your password in the clear, over the Internet.

However, the reason why I asked if you had a POP or IMAP account was due to your saying you can get the error message regardless of what folder you click on. If you are using a POP account and click on a folder other than the inbox that shouldn't cause any network activity/traffic. That implies your problem is due to something local. However, you state you don't have any add-ons, no mention of website-archive.mozilla.org in prefs.js and you don't have any security/AV software.

Try setting file -> offline -> work offline and see if you have the same problem. That will confirm it has nothing to do with your network connection or the mail server since working offline disables all network activity.

The only other suggestion I could make would be to back up your profile, install a recent version of Thunderbird in a different location using custom setup, and see if it has the same problem. The reason for backing up your profile beforehand is the new version will convert part of it.
Tsagoth

Post by Tsagoth »

Ok, so if I launch TB, it fetches the mail. I then select Offline. That fixes the problem, I can click any folder and there's no attempt to connect. Now if I go offline, and then back online, and then select a folder, it will happen. If I go offline and then click a folder and then go online, it doesn't do it.

When it does it, the status bar says "Loading Messages..." while the folder pane is blank, and then after I click ok to the error popup the pane fills with the existing messages. Interestingly enough, my wife's machine which is also v2 doesn't have this problem.

I also browsed the TB executable, but I don't see any archive.mozilla string in it. I'll try a new install after backing up the profile and see what happens.