Best way to display current RAM usage in FF57+

User Help for Mozilla Firefox
Ed1

Best way to display current RAM usage in FF57+

Post by Ed1 »

What is the easiest/best way to display the current total RAM usage by Firefox 57, either as a snapshot in time or a dynamically changing value. There were a couple of old Addons that had a toolbar icon with the current RAM usage by Firefox. I'm thinking of RAM Restart (Restart RAM?) in particular.

I know I can open the Windows Task Manager at any time and look at the Processes section, but it would be good to constantly keep track of Firefox's RAM usage if possible.

I find the about:memory chart too confusing to be useful. (Of course, I've never learned how to read it - don't know where to look for instructions.)
Reflective

Re: Best way to display current RAM usage in FF57+

Post by Reflective »

Open Windows Task Manager and then click the Perfomance tab. Click the link at the bottom to Open Resource Monitor next and then click the Memory tab in the menu which opens. You can see what's going on from there in real time. There's a few more options you have at your disposal in the context menu (right click).
Kevin McFarlane

Post by Kevin McFarlane »

If you don't mind a little code then you can try this in Windows PowerShell, which adds up the multiple processes...

Code: Select all

$p = (Get-Process Firefox -ErrorAction SilentlyContinue | Measure-Object -Sum WorkingSet).Sum / 1024
Write-Host "Total Firefox = "$p" K"
Result, e.g.,

Total Firefox = 1664784 K (18 pinned tabs, 1 unpinned)

You can do this for any other browsers you are running as well.

For me right now...

Total Opera = 2008504 K (27 tabs)
siffemoz

Post by siffemoz »

Thanks, Kevin. Got it working running Powershell command from a batch file:

Powershell file (totalff.ps1):
$p = (Get-Process Firefox -ErrorAction SilentlyContinue | Measure-Object -Sum WorkingSet).Sum / 1024
Write-Host "Total Firefox = "$p" K"

Batch file (totalff.bat):
@echo off
powershell -executionpolicy bypass "& "C:\execs\totalff"
pause