Blocking images: Not working

User Help for Mozilla Firefox
FrankSMS

Blocking images: Not working

Post by FrankSMS »

Try cnn.com or breitbart.com and set the Permissions to block images and reload the page. On my Firefox 57 it looks the same as before. All images are there it seems. On Chrome they're gone as they should be. Am I doing something wrong? I checked the Permissions page and they are blocked. I refreshed the page a few times. Still there. I'm pretty sure this used to work just fine. Also when I click the circled i at the left end of the Address Bar it tells me images are blocked.
Brummelchen

Re: Blocking images: Not working

Post by Brummelchen »

using firefox feature -> site permissions? this is blocking www.breitbart.com only, not other domains/subdomains. you have to use another filter.
Grumpus

Post by Grumpus »

permissions.default.image -----> This appears to still be in force Permissions default Image Set to 2 to block all.
Doesn't matter what you say, it's wrong for a toaster to walk around the house and talk to you
Gingerbread Man

Post by Gingerbread Man »

CNN.com bounces me to edition.cnn.com. View Page Info → Permissions → Load images: Block will from block images from — not on — edition.cnn.com. You can switch to the Media tab to the left of Permissions, select something from cdn.cnn.com for instance, then check "Block Images from…"

There are add-ons that handle image blocking much better, I'm sure.
FrankSMS

Post by FrankSMS »

> using firefox feature -> site permissions? this is blocking www.breitbart.com only, not other domains/subdomains. you have to use another filter.

Huh? I tried to block breitbart.com. It didn't. I'm not talking about any other sites except the ones I tried to block. I tried several. None of them worked. I checked to make sure I wasn't bounced off that site. But obviously I wasn't. Just look at the page and address bar to confirm.

Does anyone know why this is happening? Is it a version 57 anomaly?
Gingerbread Man

Post by Gingerbread Man »

moz2u wrote:Does anyone know why this is happening?
Yeah, these two people: 1 & 2.
moz2u wrote:Is it a version 57 anomaly?
No.
FrankSMS

Post by FrankSMS »

I don't understand the relevance of Permissions 1 and 2. There is no 1 or 2 when I block images. Its on or off. That's it.

So can someone explain why this is not working? When its off there should be no images. In Chrome this works. Of course I've checked this with other browsers. Browsing without images is fabulously fast for when you don't need to see all their ads.
When I check the circled i it says Permissions, Load Images, Blocked. There ain't no 1 or 2 here. At least not on my screen.
kreemoweet

Post by kreemoweet »

moz2u wrote: So can someone explain why this is not working?
It actually IS working, just not how you desire/expect it to. When you block images from "www.breitbart.com", only images that originate from www.breitbart.com are blocked. The images you see on the
displayed webpage, for the most part, DO NOT COME FROM www.breitbart.com. They come from other domains, either via a link on the main html page, or a web request generated by javascript
on the page. In this particular case, many of the images are coming from "media.breitbart.com". Since they are not coming from www.breitbart.com, they are not blocked. It's that simple.

As the Gingerbread Man explained above, you can block those third-party images by opening the PageInfo dialog, media tab, selecting one of the images, and checking the box that says
"Block Images from ... ". A much more satisfactory solution would be to install a content-blocking extension, such as uBlock Origin, and learning how to create custom block filters.

What other browsers may or may not do is really irrelevant.
Grumpus

Post by Grumpus »

moz2u wrote:I don't understand the relevance of Permissions 1 and 2.
There ain't no 1 or 2 here. At least not on my screen.
@moz2u - sorry for leaving out a detail, figured you had been using Firefox long enough to know how to edit "about:config"
type about:config in the nav block (do this off-line in a clean tab or window)
type Permissions.default.image in the search.
The explanations of 1,2 and 3 are on the link provided in earlier post.
Right click on the item once found, right click and hit Modify which allows the Integer input of 1,2 or 3.
Doesn't matter what you say, it's wrong for a toaster to walk around the house and talk to you
FrankSMS

Post by FrankSMS »

> What other browsers may or may not do is really irrelevant.

Well whatever Chrome is doing is working a whole lot better. Who wants to go through all these steps necessary to make this work with Firefox? This has to be done very often to have any mental sanity browsing most websites. Firefox has way too many steps and doesn't seem to respect the user's time at all.

Reader View is a great feature I use all the time but more and more websites seem to be blocking it from being able to be used. Guess they decided that if the reader doesn't see the ads there's not much point. Understandable. What would be better would be for the ads not to be so distracting. Then I wouldn't care at all. When you're trying to read something and some demented ad is flashing away on the side and it scrolls down with you further tormenting you....there's just got to be a better way of getting your message across. if anything it develops a loathing for that company. Its really all about respect. And they're showing precious little of it.