Sad day in my house....

Discussion of general topics about Mozilla Firefox
Ariaproii

Sad day in my house....

Post by Ariaproii »

I have been with Firefox since it was in it's alpha stages and stuck with it through the years. I have contributed funds many times towards the development of not only Firefox but the addons I use as well. All this time it was the sentient being's browser of choice. Then came Australis but fortunately there was an addon that allowed us to revert to the intelligent interface we were so familiar with and abandon the dumbified interface of Australis. Now it seems we are once again dumbified with huge icons, dialogs, and a sparse Win10 like interface. I relied heavily on NoScript but now the addon is stripped down and I'm presented with huge icons and graphics as if I were still in kindergarten. I guess I will be moving away from Firefox as I am not a fan of Win10. I like to see as much information as possible when I click on an option and not just a Teletubbies version with pretty pictures and only a subset of the previous options. I can fully understand the addon developer's frustration with the constant change in structure, having to re-code their addons time and again. I don't need dumbified. Is there no way to allow us who have become comfortable with the robust pre-Australis interface to opt for it? Must it be preschool and only preschool or hit the highway? Is there no option like Classic Theme Restorer that will restore the functionality? I apologize if I seem a bit frustrated but I am. I'm not criticizing but simply expressing my disappointment in the recent changes.
therube

Re: Sad day in my house....

Post by therube »

You could revert to FF 52 ESR.
(There could be some gotchas with that, depending on your backups, how you go about it, what's important to you...)
That should allow you to run all you had before - for a while.
Fire 750, bring back 250.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 6.1; en-US; rv:1.9.1.19) Gecko/20110420 SeaMonkey/2.0.14 Pinball CopyURL+ FetchTextURL FlashGot NoScript
Kevin McFarlane

Post by Kevin McFarlane »

Ariaproii wrote:Is there no option like Classic Theme Restorer that will restore the functionality? I apologize if I seem a bit frustrated but I am. I'm not criticizing but simply expressing my disappointment in the recent changes.
Your options are Firefox 52 ESR until June or one of the Third Party Builds, e.g., Pale Moon, Basilisk or Waterfox.
Frank Lion

Post by Frank Lion »

A death in the family or locality destroyed by nuclear explosion = Sad day in my house....

An internet browser program changes how it is coded ≠ Sad day in my house....

How about people express themselves in a proportionate manner, before our entire language becomes a mass of meaningless histrionics? *looks around at UK and USA* Ah, I see that warning has come a little too late.
"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil, is for good men to do nothing." - Edmund Burke (attrib.)
Kevin McFarlane

:D
the-edmeister

Post by the-edmeister »

Frank Lion wrote:A death in the family or locality destroyed by nuclear explosion = Sad day in my house....

An internet browser program changes how it is coded ≠ Sad day in my house....

How about people express themselves in a proportionate manner, before our entire language becomes a mass of meaningless histrionics? *looks around at UK and USA* Ah, I see that warning has come a little too late.
Ditto what he said!

A mind is a terrible thing to waste. Mine has wandered off and I'm out looking for it.
malliz
Folder@Home

Post by malliz »

I can see that line being turned into a country and coal mining song.
What sort of man would put a known criminal in charge of a major branch of government? Apart from, say, the average voter.
"Terry Pratchett"
therube

Post by therube »

The more I look the more & more it becomes apparent that FF 57 is simply abysmal - for anyone who uses/used extensions, who likes/liked customization of their browser.

It is utterly ridiculous that anyone could conceivably think that 57 is in any way "better".

And the only line that Mozilla spouts is, "fast".
Fast, fast, fast, fast. It gets old, fast.

Are people so gullible, so naive that "fast" is enough for them.

It's incredible the torture I have put myself through in order to test this 57.
The machinations one has to go through compared to the relative effortlessness of earlier versions.
(Some might say I'm a glutton for punishment, but it isn't so.)

Sad part is, that back end is probably decent.
And will mostly likely get even better.
But with horrid UI/UX, you're left with nothing.
Fire 750, bring back 250.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 6.1; en-US; rv:1.9.1.19) Gecko/20110420 SeaMonkey/2.0.14 Pinball CopyURL+ FetchTextURL FlashGot NoScript
DanRaisch

Post by DanRaisch »

It's only torture if you insist on trying to get 57 to look like 44 or some older version and to fill it up with extensions. It runs well, doesn't crash unless it's forced to by some extension, and does what it's supposed to do...browser the web.
Frank Lion

Post by Frank Lion »

DanRaisch wrote:It's only torture if you insist on trying to get 57 to look like 44 or some older version and to fill it up with extensions
Always been the same, Dan, compliance has always been an easier path than non-compliance.

However, not one single Firefox extension or theme would have ever have been created if people had just accepted what they were given.

Just depends really if people want to live their own lives or that of someone else (plural). We all make our own choices on that one.
"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil, is for good men to do nothing." - Edmund Burke (attrib.)
diverjer

Post by diverjer »

I am still on FF 56 using Tab Mix Plus, FireFTP and NoScripts Been on FF since around 2003??? Never have had an issue with FF being slow, but guess it must be issue for others. Don't like this change, but not a life changer either. Will most likely just go back to IE or Chrome. I don't do nothing but email and pay a few bills, might go to Amazon.

The way it looks to me the FF developers care more about having the faster browser than keeping user functionally? Still it's their code, do what you want FF and I will do what I want, no big deal, wish you good luck.
Kevin McFarlane

diverjer wrote:I am still on FF 56 using Tab Mix Plus, FireFTP and NoScripts Been on FF since around 2003??? Never have had an issue with FF being slow, but guess it must be issue for others. Don't like this change, but not a life changer either. Will most likely just go back to IE or Chrome.
If you want to avoid FF 57 and keep using your extensions I'd try one of the Third Party Builds first. But if you decide to leave the Firefox ecosystem then IMO the next best options are Opera or Vivaldi rather than Chrome or IE or Edge. Opera and Vivaldi have greater customisability. They aren't just "Chrome clones" as some disparagingly say.
FFman

Post by FFman »

I've moved onto Slimjet (for now anyway!) because I found FF57 even slower than FF56 not fast fast fast!
I hated Chrome but although Slimjet is based on the Chrome platform it has more options to tailor it to your requirements - and it's fast.
Kevin McFarlane

FFman wrote:I hated Chrome but although Slimjet is based on the Chrome platform it has more options to tailor it to your requirements - and it's fast.
I'd not heard of Slimjet but you prove my point that Chromium does not imply Chrome clone. Right now I'm using Opera as No. 2, or really joint No. 1 with Firefox, as it's good enough for my browsing style at the moment.

Chrome itself is too inflexible and now that it's dominant seems to be becoming the new IE, as in lack of innovation.