What happened to all the navigation buttons?

User Help for Mozilla Firefox
videobruce

What happened to all the navigation buttons?

Post by videobruce »

Much older versions of FF had a ton of navigation buttons available. Originally included in the basic download without using a 'add-on'. After that, with a 'add-on most were still available'.

Now, even with Classic Restorer, there are few if any real navigations buttons and functions available. I wish I had a screen shot of what I'm talking about, but what's available now isn't half of what there use to be.

What happened ?? :(
Browsers that don't have a conventional horizontal Menu bar (where it's been for 25 years) are poorly designed. Period. Stop 'fixing' something that isn't broke!
DanRaisch

Re: What happened to all the navigation buttons?

Post by DanRaisch »

What sort of navigation buttons are you looking for?
videobruce

Post by videobruce »

Something like these;

Rewind,
Next,
Print preview,
Show/Hide Images,
Author/User Mode,

http://i242.photobucket.com/albums/ff40 ... cguklx.png
Last edited by Daifne on December 6th, 2017, 7:47 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: removed img tags. Size of image breaking forum format.
Browsers that don't have a conventional horizontal Menu bar (where it's been for 25 years) are poorly designed. Period. Stop 'fixing' something that isn't broke!
DanRaisch

Post by DanRaisch »

Click on the "Hamburger button" (three stacked horizontal lines) and select "Customize." Drag and drop whichever available button you wish to add to the toolbar.
videobruce

Post by videobruce »

The "Hamburger button"??

That is why I hate stupid icons. Yes, I have done that, there is hardly anything anything there compared to 7-8 years ago. That page would of been almost full if there was. :evil:

They need to stop adding all of these toy idiot phone gimmicks and restore what was there, none of which was 'broke'.
DanRaisch

Post by DanRaisch »

There's no way to know at this point in time how many of the buttons you're looking for may have been added by extensions which are no longer compatible with current versions of Firefox.
lovemyfoxy

Post by lovemyfoxy »

None of those buttons are standard. Standard was forward and back, stop, reload page, homepage, go, 1 or 2 more.

Did you get them from Custom Buttons or Toolbar Buttons? Here's the extension developer of Toolbar Buttons. He's making a separate add-on of each button for 57. Some will also overlap with Custom Buttons.
https://codefisher.org/news/2017/10/06/ ... r-buttons/

Custom Buttons is still here. Buttons can't be ported as they are now. Read the thread started by octopod (me.) Most of my buttons are for specific web pages, and codefisher solves that on HIS site.
http://custombuttons.sourceforge.net/fo ... bf7851d7c4
2 Desktops--Win 7 Ult.SP1 x64/6GB RAM /Firefox 52.9ESR/Waterfox64 2022.11/Thunderbird 52.9ESR/BitWarden PW Manager/Verizon FIOS wired network
smsmith

Post by smsmith »

Rewind and Next were always Opera buttons. Never Firefox, at least by default without an extension of some kind.
Give a man a fish, and he eats for a day. Teach a man to fish, and he eats for a lifetime.
I like poetry, long walks on the beach and poking dead things with a stick.
Please do not PM me for personal support. Keep posts here in the Forums instead and we all learn.
lovemyfoxy

Post by lovemyfoxy »

I think the FF version is the circular arrow, meaning "reload the page."

(love the tree swizzle stick.)
2 Desktops--Win 7 Ult.SP1 x64/6GB RAM /Firefox 52.9ESR/Waterfox64 2022.11/Thunderbird 52.9ESR/BitWarden PW Manager/Verizon FIOS wired network
the-edmeister

Post by the-edmeister »

smsmith wrote:Rewind and Next were always Opera buttons. Never Firefox, at least by default without an extension of some kind.
There are also contextual menu "player controls" for HTML5 audio / video that appear when HTML5 files are being played.

And as Dan mentioned, quite possibly the OP is looking for controls that were added to Firefox via an extension in the past; where a WE version isn't yet available.

A mind is a terrible thing to waste. Mine has wandered off and I'm out looking for it.
videobruce

Post by videobruce »

smsmith wrote:Rewind and Next were always Opera buttons. Never Firefox, at least by default without an extension of some kind.
Author/User & Print Preview are the two I miss the most. I use the 'User' setting ALL the time with poorly written web pages (probably half of the sites I have visited). It provides a better layout for printing many times.
I also use Rewind. Returns to the original page in that tab after clinking on links within that first page (or is suppose to, but it doesn't always work).
Next is for pages with images (thumbnails for example) for a slide show. Not a biggie.
the-edmeister wrote:quite possibly the OP is looking for controls that were added to Firefox via an extension in the past; where a WE version isn't yet available.
Correct!
the-edmeister

Post by the-edmeister »

Print Edit WE has a Print Preview not only has a Toolbar button that opens an Edit panel which has a Preview button, but also has a contextual menu item for Preview and for Edit. Actually works better that the Legacy extension version did and that was a real surprise.
https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefo ... t-edit-we/
I quit using Print Preview years ago, when it quit working for a short time when Firefox 29 was released.

Not familiar with Author/User,though.

A mind is a terrible thing to waste. Mine has wandered off and I'm out looking for it.
videobruce

Post by videobruce »

The User function apparently removes/turns off CCS. Some pages there is little difference (the ones that are written correctly). Others, it's a day & night difference. Ones that are real crap full with JavaSh*t scroll windows within the web page, banners at the top and/or bottom, that are nothing but a problem.
the-edmeister

Post by the-edmeister »

Have you ever tr1ed the NoScript extension? NoScript turns off JavaScript, provides a # on the Toolbar button that shows how many domains have JavaScript the webpage wants to load JavaScript from, and allows the user to enable JavaScript domain by domain by "Trusting" or selectively allowing it to load based upon types.

The new WE version seems to provide fewer preferences than the Legacy version did, but the main features of NoScript remain intact.

videobruce

Post by videobruce »

Is there a version for Opera Classic/Legacy?