Password problem.

User Help for Mozilla Thunderbird
hch

Password problem.

Post by hch »

I just installed the latest version of TB on a new computer. Windows 10. I copied all the settings from my other computer.

Unfortunately, during the initial install, when it asked me for a password, I skipped that step because my old installation did not require one. It did NOT ask me for one.

Now it asks me, when I start TB, for a password to continue. No password is installed. Does TB have a default password? How do I continue? I emphasize that no password shows up under Security or whatever it's called.
DanRaisch

Re: Password problem.

Post by DanRaisch »

No, there is no default password for Thunderbird. On the other hand, one can not access an email account through Thunderbird without using the password required by the email provider's server. That means that on your old computer, the password was probably saved in Thunderbird so that it would be automatically submitted when requested by the server. When that password prompt appears, enter the same password you would use if accessing that account's webmail page using a browser.
hch

Post by hch »

Thanks Dan. That was it. I was tired when I was setting up TB and completely forgot about the server password.

Another Senior moment I guess!
DanRaisch

Post by DanRaisch »

You're welcome. Happens to all of us at some point.
bawldiggle

Post by bawldiggle »

Does this mean to access my emails in Win-7 PRO I will have to log into latest Tbird each time ?
I don't have Tbird yet .. I did 9 years ago and am now very much out of touch
Just started to get back int the PC saddle, in earnest

Thank you :)
. . . never to old to learn!
tanstaafl

Post by tanstaafl »

Nope. Normally you get prompted for a password if one is needed and check a checkbox in that same dialog box to tell the password wizard to remember that password and enter it again automatically for you. You don't get bothered again.

However, there is a optional master password that blocks use of (or seeing) any passwords saved by the password wizard. There have been cases where it somehow got set and you need to reset it to get rid of it, causing you to lose any stored passwords. Its been a couple of years since I heard of anybody having that problem, so I suspect that bug is fixed. See http://kb.mozillazine.org/Master_passwo ... r_password

If you don't want to use the password wizard you can use KeyPass instead. Doing that requires you to install an add-on such as KeePass helper to let it recognize what account the password prompt is for, so that it can automatically enter the password for you.

http://kb.mozillazine.org/Protecting_th ... ile_-_mail