Down-grading from the disastrous v57

User Help for Mozilla Firefox
mozurkewich

Re: Down-grading from the disastrous v57

Post by mozurkewich »

adrenoreceptor seems to be of a similar mind to me.

I see people recommending YesScript2 above. According to this:
https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefo ... esscript2/
YesScript2 is inferior to NoScript, but "However teaching your browser for every domain and every script calls with NoScript seems a tedious and long work". Well I've done that and don't want to lose the work.
hashky

Post by hashky »

allande -

Thanks for the instructions on how to load an earlier version. I installed 52.0.2. It did not look right. So I let Firefox update once. It updated to 56.0. I set it to never check for updates and I uninstalled the "Mozilla Maintenance Service". I got 95% of my functionality back. I find Firefox 57 a disaster. If I wanted a fast inflexible browser, I would use Opera or Chrome.

I realize that 56.0 is not as secure, but I will take my chances.

Ron
RobertJ

Post by RobertJ »

hashky wrote:I find Firefox 57 a disaster. If I wanted a fast inflexible browser,....
I have 100% of the functionality in FF57 that I had in FF56-. Actually I have more functionality with a couple of new extensions; and, the userChrome.css tweaks still work.

FF 92.0 - TB 78.13 - Mac OSX 10.13.6
Kevin McFarlane

Post by Kevin McFarlane »

hashky wrote:If I wanted a fast inflexible browser, I would use Opera or Chrome.
Chrome is inflexible. Opera isn't.
I realize that 56.0 is not as secure, but I will take my chances.
Why not Firefox 52 ESR, which at least will keep you secure until June, after which main Firefox may have improved acceptably? Or, why not try one of the Firefox forks that are sticking with the old extensions model?
Frank Lion

Post by Frank Lion »

Jimac wrote:Fine, Mozilla, you've succeeded. I'm going to try installing 57 again, add YesScript2, and see if it will work as advertised. I and over 45,000 other users of YesScript love it, though. If #2 doesn't work
Despite this fancy half/full blocking stuff that YesScript2 claims, I'd settle for any proper JavaScript blocking! The rest of the webextensions for JS seem just as bad.

Block JS properly on Google search pages and a whole host of options come up on the left hand side (date ranges to search, countries, etc) and many, many more options appear on the Google Image Search results - image size/type/etc come up.....and that's just not happening with this YesScript2 webextension and the others.

It's not rocket science, we know what blocking javascript is - about:config > javascript.enabled > false and the results you get are exactly what the original YesScript produced as well, as did every other JS blocker, prior to 57. Whatever these webextension guys think they are blocking, it sure ain't JS. Not consistently anyway - sometimes it seems OK and then it just isn't. Most odd.

I have 100% of the functionality in FF57 that I had in FF56-. Actually I have more functionality with a couple of new extensions; and, the userChrome.css tweaks still work.
The standard reply for this sort of post is - Good for you.

Now, we can just assume that all these other guys are a bunch of liars and troublemakers or we can use a tiny bit of lateral thinking and realise that everyone has different needs and requirements and it is those that are not being met for them with Firefox 57.

One thing is certain, you ain't going to shut them up by telling them how great for you it is because they are reporting their reality here, not making stuff up. Let's be honest here, you will be the first to shout louder than they are, if and when Mozilla axe userChrome.css.
Last edited by Frank Lion on December 6th, 2017, 7:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil, is for good men to do nothing." - Edmund Burke (attrib.)
hashky

Post by hashky »

"I have 100% of the functionality in FF57 that I had in FF56-. Actually I have more functionality with a couple of new extensions; and, the userChrome.css tweaks still work.
"

Here is a list of the Add-ons I use. Most of which went away. As a user it is not my job to tweak userChrome.css. I shouldn't have to spend so much time with an upgrade. What don't the Firefox developers understand about that.

Autoplay Toggle
HttpFox
IE View
mSession Keeper
PrefBar
Self-Distruction Cookies
Show my Password
Tab Mix Plus
TinyURL Generator
Vertical Tabs (Simplified)
fsckDsk

Post by fsckDsk »

longtalker wrote:Having been gullible enough to accept Firefox's invitation to upgrade to the "critical" new version, I now find myself with a catastrophic v57 that has so many drawbacks that I am considering to migrate to Chrome, after more than a decade of being with Firefox.

Almost all of my trusted&useful add-ons don't work anymore (due to the code rewrite that makes Ffx much less add-on-friendly), which makes Firefox essentially no better than e.g. IE. Also, the customised search bar is a disaster (dysfunctional grid array), and none of the user feedback that has been repeatedly submitted over the years has been implemented, such as the essential and still-missing feature of showing the (sub)folder location of a searched-for bookmark inside my bookmarks library. What a joke of an upgrade, and what an imposition on users' time - as if we all had nothing better to do now than worry about how to retrieve the basic functionality of the browser back.

I'm sure many other users will now leave Firefox and switch to another browser, so before resorting to this, I'm wondering if anyone has found a way to roll back to a version that spares us of all these "critical improvements"? There seems to be no installer for older versions.
I agree. They even removed the ability to add custom tab rows!
LIMPET235

Post by LIMPET235 »

This thread died in Dec. 2017.
I doubt whether anyone is still interested.

Locking.
[Ancient Amateur Astronomer.]
Win-10-H/64 bit/500G SSD/16 Gig Ram/450Watt PSU/350WattUPS/Firefox-115.0.2/T-bird-115.3.2./SnagIt-v10.0.1/MWP-7.12.125.

(Always choose the "Custom" Install.)