Thunderbird collecting Gmail with no permission

User Help for Mozilla Thunderbird
SeriousJohn

Thunderbird collecting Gmail with no permission

Post by SeriousJohn »

I have a GMail account set up in Thunderbird which I rarely use and the (IMAP) server options for collecting messages (Check for new messages at startup, Check for new messages every X minutes and Allow immediate server notifications when new messages arrive) are all inactive.

My mouse slipped over the account name in the panel on the left yesterday and all the messages on the server started to download. Since then, Thunderbird has been collecting messages from the same account.

How can I stop it?
DanRaisch

Re: Thunderbird collecting Gmail with no permission

Post by DanRaisch »

Go to TOOLS > OPTIONS >SECURITY > PASSWORDS tab> SAVED PASSWORDS button and there you can delete old passwords. Restart Thunderbird to ensure that the stored password is cleared from memory. That way Thunderbird will not be able to achieve a valid connection to the server without user input.
SeriousJohn

Post by SeriousJohn »

Thanks Dan!
That sounds like a good option. I'll give it a try.
SeriousJohn

Post by SeriousJohn »

It works - TBird can't collect my messages any more - but now a login window opens for GMail and I get messages from TBird telling me that it can't connect to the server... it's not a disaster, but it's quite annoying.

I really don't understand what happened when I slipped with the mouse - a single accidental click on the account name seems to be permanently overriding all the actual account settings.
DanRaisch

Post by DanRaisch »

What that mouse click may have done is issue a "Get Messages" command for that account. Changing the settings to not collect new mail, etc. just disables the automatic functions but a user issue command will still trigger downloading of messages.