Opening PDFs

User Help for Mozilla Firefox
GrapeLivre

Opening PDFs

Post by GrapeLivre »

How can I view embedded PDF files on websites? Like for when the PDF opens automatically on the site, not just downloading it. The area is blank where it is supposed to be. It works on Chrome and Pale Moon. Thank you.
Firefox 57.02 (64 bit). Enabled extensions: HTTPS Everywhere, Decentraleyes, NoSquint Plus, uBlock Orgin, and Theme and Font Size Changer. Windows 8.
RobertJ

Re: Opening PDFs

Post by RobertJ »

URL?

FF 92.0 - TB 78.13 - Mac OSX 10.13.6
GrapeLivre

Post by GrapeLivre »

It is a work related site. I can't give the URL.
Firefox 57.02 (64 bit). Enabled extensions: HTTPS Everywhere, Decentraleyes, NoSquint Plus, uBlock Orgin, and Theme and Font Size Changer. Windows 8.
RobertJ

Post by RobertJ »

Difficult to help without a URL. I use FF57.0.1 and have no issue with embedded PDF's.

GrapeLivre

Post by GrapeLivre »

I followed the directions for the site. It still won't work. I wasn't sure what to do. Their tech support wasn't helpful.
RobertJ

Post by RobertJ »

The only thing I can think of is the MIME type may not be configured correctly on the site. The correct type is "application/pdf". FF will not render a pdf based on a suffix of pdf; the MIME type associated with the pdf must be correct. Some other browsers will "guess" at what the file is (e.g., Chrome). According to the RTF standard, the MIME type should be used.

Again, without access to the URL it is impossible to determine if the server is set up properly.

GrapeLivre

Post by GrapeLivre »

RobertJ wrote:.
The only thing I can think of is the MIME type may not be configured correctly on the site. The correct type is "application/pdf". FF will not render a pdf based on a suffix of pdf; the MIME type associated with the pdf must be correct. Some other browsers will "guess" at what the file is (e.g., Chrome). According to the RTF standard, the MIME type should be used.

Again, without access to the URL it is impossible to determine if the server is set up properly.

If it is the MIME type, I can't fix it myself? I know the URL is helpful, I just can't say what it is.

Could it be because this FF version is not comparable with Acrobat Reader?
RobertJ

Post by RobertJ »

GrapeLivre wrote: If it is the MIME type, I can't fix it myself? I know the URL is helpful, I just can't say what it is.

Could it be because this FF version is not comparable with Acrobat Reader?

Firefox will open embedded PDF's without Acrobat Reader using its own native capability.

RobertJ

Post by RobertJ »

Here is an embedded PDF test page

http://plugindoc.mozdev.org/testpages/pdf.html

When I inspect the MIME type it is "application/pdf". There is no suffix pdf associated with the embedded document. This embedded document also renders properly in FF58b9.

GrapeLivre

Post by GrapeLivre »

Here is an embedded PDF test page

http://plugindoc.mozdev.org/testpages/pdf.html

When I inspect the MIME type it is "application/pdf". There is no suffix pdf associated with the embedded document. This embedded document also renders properly in FF58b9.

When I go to the link it says; "This page contains an embedded PDF document.
You do not have a PDF plugin installed or working. This document may also be viewed standalone."

When I click viewed standalone, the PDF opens and says "Your PDF viewing software works!"

I'm not sure what's wrong. Maybe it's in my FF settings or something.
RobertJ

Post by RobertJ »

In the Firefox preferences under General > Applications

scroll until you see Portable Document Format (PDF) under content type and it should specify "Preview in Firefox". If it doesn't change it.

GrapeLivre

Post by GrapeLivre »

In the Firefox preferences under General > Applications

scroll until you see Portable Document Format (PDF) under content type and it should specify "Preview in Firefox". If it doesn't change it.

The only options are Always Ask, Save File, or Use Adobe Acrobat Reader.
RobertJ

Post by RobertJ »

Something is wrong. Under context type are there other entries for PDF?

GrapeLivre

Post by GrapeLivre »

Something is wrong. Under context type are there other entries for PDF?

There is Adobe Acrobat Forms and Adobe Acrobat XML Data Pack. There is also Portable Document Format.

I can get it to work on the Default Profile.
RobertJ

Post by RobertJ »

GrapeLivre wrote: I can get it to work on the Default Profile.
Are you using multiple profiles?