Saved Logins and Passwords not working

User Help for Mozilla Firefox
dapr

Saved Logins and Passwords not working

Post by dapr »

I 've got 57.0.2- 64 bit- installed on a Win 7 x64 Pro pc and now my saved logins and passwords do not work.
By this I mean the login name and password are saved by Firefox and the master login is used.
When I try to access various websites, eBay being one of them, the password manager inserts the username and password as it has done on countless occasions.
The result, eg on eBay, is a message saying the username and password do not match.
Ok I'll resort to resetting the password. Insert the password supplied by eBay and... no change.
Yep, even entering the info manually doesn't work.
Eventually I changed browser, used IE. Enter the info and straight in to my account. Use Chrome browser and the same result, straight in.

I've tried resetting Firefox, disabled all addons, etc, but still the result is the same.
So then oh brainy Mozilla people, what the heck is going on? Anyone else having this problem?

The final resort is going to be to remove Firefox, maybe reinstall and reset the user profiles, which I've done before when updating the OS but can I be bothered when Chrome works without that hassle?
Thanks to anyone suggesting a solution.
Dave
dfoulkes

Re: Saved Logins and Passwords not working

Post by dfoulkes »

Yep, even entering the info manually doesn't work.
That sounds weird... so, you visit Ebay and Firefox fills the fields but you clear them out, manually insert the correct user/pw and Ebay still complains?

Have you tried a new test profile? ... you can have your old one and the new one at the same time... I suggest that using that new one... you just create it and make no changes to it... then visit Ebay, place the correct stuff in there and see what happens...

Either way (works/not work) ... post back here with the results.

Creating a new Firefox profile on Windows - MozillaZine Knowledge Base
And,.... DON'T TOUCH THAT "Choose Folder..." BUTTON! ... unless you fully know all about it.

Opening a new instance of your Mozilla application with another profile - MozillaZine Knowledge Base
As you can see she's (The CAT) always alert and on the prowl for Meoware !!
LIMPET235

Post by LIMPET235 »

Hi,
Tried clearing the cache & site cookies yet?
Then, try logging in again.
[Ancient Amateur Astronomer.]
Win-10-H/64 bit/500G SSD/16 Gig Ram/450Watt PSU/350WattUPS/Firefox-115.0.2/T-bird-115.3.2./SnagIt-v10.0.1/MWP-7.12.125.

(Always choose the "Custom" Install.)
dapr

Post by dapr »

Thanks for the suggestions. I did try the test profile on eBay and that sailed through OK, no problems. But by that time I'd reset Firefox, removed all addons, etc.
And I haven't had a repeat of the problem again, so far.

A day earlier I'd had the same problem getting into my local bus company's website to renew a travel card. Again I asked for a reset password and still couldn't get in, I'd assumed the problem was with their pages and left it for half a day or so. When I came back to it I got in no problem, using the new password.

I've just tried a few of the websites Firefox holds passwords for and had no problems with any of them. As far as I can make out the only thing that's changed is an addon I had, Self Destroying Cookies.
I'll have a go at changing the settings on that and see if the problem re-occurs, tho' I never feel comfortable trying to make something fail.... but I'd like to know what's going on.

If I learn anything useful I'll post it here.
Thanks again for your comments.
RobertJ

Post by RobertJ »

Go to FF Preferences > Privcy & Security > Saved Logins and see if those sites have two sets of entries. If so remove the "old" one.

For some reason FF57 doesn't update passwords on a given site like FF56- did. Might be do to the major changes in FF57.

I have had to remove a number of "old" ones in FF57.

FF 92.0 - TB 78.13 - Mac OSX 10.13.6
dfoulkes

Post by dfoulkes »

As far as I can make out the only thing that's changed is an addon I had, Self Destroying Cookies.
Keep in mind that Firefox (and other browsers) don't always keep passwords 'in' Firefox ... lots of sites maintain passwords in their cookies... An example is that I use Yahoo Financial and I have it set to always auto-log me in. That option is controlled via the cookies ...not only the 'always auto logging in but the cookies contain the PW.
As you can see she's (The CAT) always alert and on the prowl for Meoware !!
therube

Post by therube »

but the cookies contain the PW
I would hope not.
(Though I do know that this can occur.)
The cookie (in most cases) will be used to maintain your intended login status (that you do want to remain logged in), not any password data itself.

More along the lines of, Are passwords stored in the cookie? encrypted?

In some forums, at times, the URL bar may show "&sid=...", kind of thing:

> https:// forums.mozillazine.org/viewforum.php?f=22&sid=1b151bac2ea1125ea8fb091d31cc868b

It is the &sid= that the cookie stores, that associates you & your login status on the board.
Fire 750, bring back 250.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 6.1; en-US; rv:1.9.1.19) Gecko/20110420 SeaMonkey/2.0.14 Pinball CopyURL+ FetchTextURL FlashGot NoScript