Can we be prompted before bookmark saved?

Discussion of features in Mozilla Firefox
GatesIsAntiChrist

Can we be prompted before bookmark saved?

Post by GatesIsAntiChrist »

Until very recent versions, after hitting Control-D you could hit escape and the bookmark would not be saved. Someone changed that recently so that now, once you hit Control-D, it's already saved. Can I configure it to behave the way it used to?
Brummelchen

Re: Can we be prompted before bookmark saved?

Post by Brummelchen »

ctrl+d then escape ever saved a page as bookmark - you need to push the button "remove..." to delete again. this is _not_ new since firefox 57 ;)
seems weird, i dont like it too, but can help out for now as "add bookmark here" is dead.
GatesIsAntiChrist

This definitely began happening sometime in 2017. Since the condition began, escape has been treated the same as the enter key.

Also relatively new, and undesired: if you click a folder name, and hit escape, same issue. For example, edit a bookmark, open and browse bookmark folders, hit escape - boom, it's been saved despite the escape key.

Can someone please man up and either admit an error or assert that it was deliberate? Or just fix it! :)
M$ Outlook: Preview on:spam initated!and/or virus ignited! Preview off:you CAN'T view the message header. You must OPEN the message to view the ALREADY DOWNLOADED HEADER! No joke-try it! Say it with me: M$ DOES NOT UNDERSTAND COMPUTERS!
Brummelchen

Post by Brummelchen »

as i wrote - this behavior ever was current, maybe since australis - this means several versions! and there is nothing to argue against, please dont.
you probably never noticed it because of (legacy) extension. there is nothing to fix!
dfoulkes

Post by dfoulkes »

Can someone please man up and either admit an error or assert that it was deliberate? Or just fix it!
Also as noted in the one of the links on the RHS ... we are not Mozilla so we can't 'fix' stuff... but users here can either lend a hand or come up with special css code... if doable.
As you can see she's (The CAT) always alert and on the prowl for Meoware !!
GatesIsAntiChrist

Brummelchen, your responses are uninformed and not useful. Thank you for your opinion but let's leave this to others who specifically understand the question.

dfoulkes thanks for the suggestion but I am not looking for special code. I am looking for a configuration solution to this unwanted byproduct of a recent upgrade. If you know that answer then respond. It's an advanced question so there's no shame in leaving the question to someone who specifically knows. (By the way, I like the area of the U.S. where you live)

If someone who is knowledgeable about 2017 code changes or highly knowledgeable on about:config can comment, that might at least settle where things stand, if not lead to a solution.
M$ Outlook: Preview on:spam initated!and/or virus ignited! Preview off:you CAN'T view the message header. You must OPEN the message to view the ALREADY DOWNLOADED HEADER! No joke-try it! Say it with me: M$ DOES NOT UNDERSTAND COMPUTERS!
Brummelchen

Post by Brummelchen »

that is not my opinion - that is a fact - the behavior of firefox i described is lasting. get to work with it but dont complain at us. not my problem at least [-X

RobertJ wrote
This is a SUPPORT forum not the complaint department. We will try to help with problems; we DO NOT TAKE COMPLAINTS!
allande

Post by allande »

Try for yourself. Firefox 28 was the version before "australis", from 2014 - prior to that Firefox was basically the same since Firefox 4. Don't install it as a real version, use the portable version. https://sourceforge.net/projects/portab ... table%20Ed./
If you want to be extra thorough, try Firefox 3 as a portable version, the oldest and first version with a bookmarks star.

The way you want it to work probably occurred by using an extension like add bookmark here. That extension is legacy - google for yourself what that means.

In some versions it may be that ctrl-d and the bookmarks star did not work the same, in other words that the esc key may have worked to cancel ctrl-d but not to cancel the bookmarks star.
GatesIsAntiChrist

I understand your sarcasm allande - since your result was in contrast to mine. I can see how you might think this is troll work or stupidity. It really isn't. I do thank you for trying to check it out. I understand what "legacy" means, and a couple of other things. :) And bookmarking, since I have about 1400 of them, and that's only those created in the past two years on the PC I'm writing this on. BTW I ditched wastoid IE for FX many years ago ...

...so I'm closely attuned - very closely - to the Control-D behavior. When you bookmark that often, sometimes you change your mind midstream, or change your mind as you arrow through bookmark folders, and benefit from escape doing what it's - forgive me, but let's be honest - SUPPOSED to do. I have never met a competent designer or developer (& I R 1) that equates ESC to ENTER (except on an "OK button only" message box :) ). At any rate, bottom line, the behavior deviated sometime in the last couple of years. I'm not imagining this, no matter how hard anyone wants to argue that.

Recommending FX 3 or 4 was a little over the top on your sarcasm though. I don't know why you didn't go with 5.0 :)

-----------------

I suspect someone accidentally (or ineptly) made this change and that seems to have been the end of it, given that no one [at least here, so far] even noticed it. Anyway, this is a REAL issue and if anyone wants to look into it, or address it in development or developer discussions, thank you. I'm not going to argue it any further here, except to rebut any false retorts hence (but, hey, just let the thread die, how about it?). Maybe I shouldn't have bothered here and just gone straight to Bugzilla; but this forum really does provide solutions quite often. Anyway, thanks for reading this and for all of you that truly care and help make the product great.

I'm not doing this to whine. I just want it fixed, or even understood (the nature of the change) - regardless of whether it's the result of a screwup or whatever.
GatesIsAntiChrist

allande wrote:In some versions it may be that ctrl-d and the bookmarks star did not work the same, in other words that the esc key may have worked to cancel ctrl-d but not to cancel the bookmarks star.
Sorry, forgot to respond to that. One difference was, bookmarks went (and they still do) by default to different destinations (Control-D to "Bookmarks Menu" and the star to "Other Bookmarks"). I'd be surprised if it wasn't the same dialog, with that sole difference; ergo, I don't think ESC ever resulted in "saving" in the past either way - but the one I'm sure about is Control-D.
lovemyfoxy

Post by lovemyfoxy »

I've always drag-n-dropped the bookmark favicon to the right folder. If I change my mind, I just right-click and hit "delete." Is that doable for you?

(is your ID a reference to Bill Gates, who retired from MS 15 or 20 years ago?)
2 Desktops--Win 7 Ult.SP1 x64/6GB RAM /Firefox 52.9ESR/Waterfox64 2022.11/Thunderbird 52.9ESR/BitWarden PW Manager/Verizon FIOS wired network
allande

Post by allande »

If you have pressed ctrl-D or clicked the star, pressing alt-R will delete the bookmark and close the pop-up. And it is correct that ctrl-D bookmarks to "bookmarks menu" by default and the star bookmarks to "other bookmarks." That feels inconsistent - I am surprised they do it that way.

Regardless of if or when esc to delete was changed and if it was intentional or not, I believe that the current webextensions are not powerful enough to undo it and there is no about:config flag that will change it. So if you want a response about if it is a bug or if there is a chance of having it changed, I agree that bugzilla is the place to report it.
lovemyfoxy

Post by lovemyfoxy »

There's ineptitude at Mozilla? :-"
2 Desktops--Win 7 Ult.SP1 x64/6GB RAM /Firefox 52.9ESR/Waterfox64 2022.11/Thunderbird 52.9ESR/BitWarden PW Manager/Verizon FIOS wired network
the-edmeister

Post by the-edmeister »

LoveMyFoxy wrote:I've always drag-n-dropped the bookmark favicon to the right folder. If I change my mind, I just right-click and hit "delete." Is that doable for you?

(is your ID a reference to Bill Gates, who retired from MS 15 or 20 years ago?)
Ditto that! Mozilla screwed up saving a new bookmark a long time ago, but that has never affected me because I have always used "drag'n'drop" into the Sidebar to save a new bookmark right into the folder where I wanted to have it - since Phoenix 0.3 in Aug 2002 when I switched from using IE 6.0 .

IMO, every "new" scheme for saving new bookmarks that Mozilla came up with for Firefox has been "putting lipstick on a pig", IMO; well at least since Firefox 4.0 with that idiotic orange Firefox button.

A mind is a terrible thing to waste. Mine has wandered off and I'm out looking for it.
lovemyfoxy

Post by lovemyfoxy »

I don't remember the orange button. Was it for bookmarks?

I also use drag-n-drop for email in TB, instead of using "Move to...".
"It is eminently logical. Live long and prosper."
Last edited by lovemyfoxy on December 12th, 2017, 11:19 am, edited 1 time in total.