FF57 slow to start and load home page

User Help for Mozilla Firefox
andyross

FF57 slow to start and load home page

Post by andyross »

I have an issue with FF 57.02 (it was the same with 57.0 and 57.01) on a Win7, 32-bit, Intel Q6600 computer. Although FF itself loads more or less as normal, it can take nearly a minute before the home page (http://www.netvibes.com) actually displays. I can use the menus, but the page remains blank for quite awhile. The pop-up thing in the lower left does show 'Loading blah-blah' etc... as it slowly tries accessing things. In Task Manager, I can see 4 or even 5 processes, with one of them running 25%+ during that time. Once it starts to display the page, the processes drop down to 0% or so. Once that first page loads, FF works normally.

I tried Safe mode, and it started up and displayed quickly. I then tried disabling all add-ons (AdBlock Plus, Country Flags & IP Whois, New Tab Override, No Coin), but that had no effect. I tried setting it to only use one process, but that not only made no difference, but it was still showing 4 processes in Task Manager! I even tried disabling hardware acceleration, thinking that was an issue, but no effect either.

If I try to close FF while that one process is running high, it can take awhile before it actually closes all the processes, although the FF visibly closes instantly. When FF is warmed up, it will close down within a second or two.
DanRaisch

Re: FF57 slow to start and load home page

Post by DanRaisch »

If no improvement using Safe Mode, do you have the same problem if you create a new profile and test it with no extensions or non-default themes installed?
http://kb.mozillazine.org/Profile_Manager
and
http://kb.mozillazine.org/Creating_a_ne ... on_Windows
andyross

Post by andyross »

The computer in question is mainly an older computer I am keeping as a backup. I have been copying the profile folder from my main computer (64-bit Win10) to keep all the bookmarks, saved logins, add-ons, etc... It has worked well in the past. I have a feeling there is some setting in the profile for 64-bit that could be confusing this 32-bit version?
DanRaisch

Post by DanRaisch »

I have a feeling there is some setting in the profile for 64-bit that could be confusing this 32-bit version?
I'd say that's very unlikely.

Creating a new profile doesn't touch your old profile so if the issue is resolved in that new environment you can migrate your bookmarks and logins from the old profile. It is almost always better to reinstall your preferred extensions, making sure you have the latest version of each and that they are compatible with the latest version of Firefox.