Non-listed extension

User Help for Mozilla Firefox
Odin2

Non-listed extension

Post by Odin2 »

On the basis of enthusiastic reviews, I've been considering the installation of the Dashlane password manager--especially as it boasts a Firefox extension. AMO however doesn't currently list it--and extensive correspondence with Dashlane support uncovers no explanation of why. Perhaps it was so listed and Mozilla delisted it--or perhaps it never applied for listing. Aside from asking Dashlane (which, as I say, has been fruitless), is there any way for me to find out the facts?
dfoulkes

Re: Non-listed extension

Post by dfoulkes »

So far... stuff that I've read indicates that you have to install that app. first and then within it there is a function to install their extension into Firefox.... I don't use it but from some searches I've done it looks like you use Dashlane to do everything.

So, info from a post that I read...
This is Simon from Dashlane's Support team
To begin with, I would recommend to try re-installing the Dashlane extension for Firefox by launching your Dashlane app and going to Extensions → Manage Firefox extension. You should also try to restart your computer. If this does not help, and if your Dashlane extension in Firefox is permanently greyed-out, you can look at this article on our Help Center.
As you can see she's (The CAT) always alert and on the prowl for Meoware !!
Odin2

Post by Odin2 »

Thanks, dfoulkes. My curiosity remains, however. Your quote from Simon could be helpful--but you didin't provide the link to which he referred.
lovemyfoxy

Post by lovemyfoxy »

I use Dashlane. It has a peculiarity in that you need the extension in FF + the Dashlane program, which runs in the systray. On the DL Menu bar, click Tools>Install FF Extension, which is on THEIR site. And no, nothing can be done about the microscopic font in the Menu Bar. I've already asked.

It also has a few unsolved bugs, and when I wrote to them at their website, they passed the query to 4 other know-nothing people, and the last one concluded I should wipe out my FF profile and begin it again. I didn't. I believe an update has fixed the bug.

I have FF 52ESR. Has DL been upgraded for FF57?
2 Desktops--Win 7 Ult.SP1 x64/6GB RAM /Firefox 52.9ESR/Waterfox64 2022.11/Thunderbird 52.9ESR/BitWarden PW Manager/Verizon FIOS wired network
Odin2

Post by Odin2 »

Thanks, LoveMyFoxy. Your disappointing experience with Dashlane support mirrors my own [even though I'm not yet a Dashlane user]. I can't tell you anything about Dashlane from my experience with it, since I don't have any. Your post however is helpful, and I may give it a try.
dfoulkes

Post by dfoulkes »

Odin2 wrote:Thanks, dfoulkes. My curiosity remains, however. Your quote from Simon could be helpful--but you didin't provide the link to which he referred.
Dashlane with Firefox • mozillaZine Forums
As you can see she's (The CAT) always alert and on the prowl for Meoware !!
lovemyfoxy

Post by lovemyfoxy »

Odin2 wrote:Thanks, LoveMyFoxy. Your disappointing experience with Dashlane support mirrors my own [even though I'm not yet a Dashlane user]. I can't tell you anything about Dashlane from my experience with it, since I don't have any. Your post however is helpful, and I may give it a try.
Lastpass is full of bugs since LogMeIn bought them. I exported my Lastpass data to DL, which I've now been using about 9 months. When DL stopped working on my main profile, the incident I mentioned above, I went back to LP. DL is running again, maybe after an update, so I'm now running them simultaneously. If I need to save a new PW, I enter it into both programs. :crazyeyes:
2 Desktops--Win 7 Ult.SP1 x64/6GB RAM /Firefox 52.9ESR/Waterfox64 2022.11/Thunderbird 52.9ESR/BitWarden PW Manager/Verizon FIOS wired network
lovemyfoxy

Post by lovemyfoxy »

Back up your data to a csv file often, in case you hit bugs.
therube

Post by therube »

It has a peculiarity in that you need the extension in FF + the Dashlane program, which runs in the systray.
Probably not a peculiarity.
Probably not specific to Dashlane.

Rather a needed hack to get things to work in this new FF realm.
(Isn't that wonderful. Instead of using tools, everything you need to do now in FF is done by a hack, in one way or another. And Mozilla feels that is an improvement.)
Fire 750, bring back 250.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 6.1; en-US; rv:1.9.1.19) Gecko/20110420 SeaMonkey/2.0.14 Pinball CopyURL+ FetchTextURL FlashGot NoScript
lovemyfoxy

Post by lovemyfoxy »

It's either specific to Dashlane or rare. What other extension needs a resident additional program? I've been using it that way since whatever FF was I running 9 months ago. It wasn't a new FF realm.
therube

Post by therube »

(I new I saw it somewhere...)

https://www.downloadhelper.net/update?f ... 0&to=7.1.1
Unfortunately, the new WebExtensions interface offers less capabilities than the former Add-on SDK. ...
So we (add-ons developers) have to deal with this and find solutions. This is why Video DownloadHelper 7 requires in some situations the installation of an external application that communicates transparently with the add-on to provide missing capabilities. ...
We understand that installing an external application can be annoying and raise concerns about security. To ensure full transparency, the required VDH Companion App has been released in open-source.
Fire 750, bring back 250.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 6.1; en-US; rv:1.9.1.19) Gecko/20110420 SeaMonkey/2.0.14 Pinball CopyURL+ FetchTextURL FlashGot NoScript
lovemyfoxy

Post by lovemyfoxy »

I've always used an external program, and it's not annoying. My current one is YT Downloader.