Prevent images from other servers to load

User Help for Mozilla Firefox
Nettkrawler

Prevent images from other servers to load

Post by Nettkrawler »

Hi.

I have the habit of use web browser for mail (gmail and hotmail mostly) instead of an email client.

Then I have a question - I want to prevent Firefox to load any images locating elsewhere than the current site. That is - if I visit e.g. www.live.no - than only images that is located in same domain should have the rights of being loaded in the web browser. Image located elsewhere should be blocked.

Also - I only want that to apply on certain web sites. Eg, If that image-blocking rule applies to www.live.no, it should not apply to other web sites if not specified by user.

Can that be done? Is there an extension for that?

Thanks
8-bit

Re: Prevent images from other servers to load

Post by 8-bit »

Try NoScript: https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefo ... /noscript/

There is a learning curve, but you will be rewarded if you stick with it. Most essential extension ever created IMO.

Help forums for that extension are NOT here. They are located at:

https://forums.informaction.com/viewforum.php?f=7

BACK UP YOUR PROFILE BEFORE INSTALLING THIS EXTENSION IN CASE IT DOES NOT WORK OUT FOR YOU.

Good luck!
Gingerbread Man

Post by Gingerbread Man »

Hello,

If you're already using uBlock Origin, you can use it for this as well.

On the My Filters tab, add a blocking rule like the following:

Code: Select all

*$important,image,third-party,domain=forums.mozillazine.org|anothersite.net|thirdexample.com
If you need to create an exception to that filter, on the My Rules tab, add an allow rule like the following:

forums.mozillazine.org imgur.com * allow
Nettkrawler

Post by Nettkrawler »

Hi, thanks for answers, but wasn't quite what I was looking for.

No:
I do have used Noscript in the past, but It requires much work to make white list so that a site doesn't show too many ads, but at the same time that all unnecessary scripts are blocked. Also I cannot remember that Noscript had image blocking features.
In general: Im not looking for an extension that requires extensive white-listing before use, that will probably cause unwanted images to load anyway before I can block it.
By the description of uBlock Origin, it looks like you have to know in advance all potential sites that may contain unwanted images, so that is of course not going to work.

Yes:
An extension that automatic block all images to load if they are located somewhere else than in current domain.
Gingerbread Man

Post by Gingerbread Man »

Nettkrawler wrote:Also - I only want that to apply on certain web sites. Eg, If that image-blocking rule applies to http://www.live.no, it should not apply to other web sites if not specified by user.
Nettkrawler wrote:By the description of uBlock Origin, it looks like you have to know in advance all potential sites that may contain unwanted images, so that is of course not going to work.
:? Which is it: do you want to block third-party images everywhere or just on particular sites? If it's the latter, I already posted the filter above. If it's the former, just make it more generic by not specifying any domains:

*$important,image,third-party
Nettkrawler

Post by Nettkrawler »

Ok, thanks G. Man, Just me that didn't understand your instructions. Will try uBlock Origin :)