Make a new tab blank

User Help for Mozilla Firefox
dfoulkes

Make a new tab blank

Post by dfoulkes »

1st. This question is for my portable version (latest) of Firefox. I'm playing with it in order to see if I want to upgrade to the latest installed version in the future.

So, I've been searching in this section for the setting in about:config so that if I click on the plus-sign the new tab presents itself as a blank page. In prior version (old ones) a single setting in about:config allowed a user to enter about:blank in a single setting-value. I get too many answers that don't hit on my problem when I do a search of the forum.

That setting was ... browser.newtab.url and if set to about:blank it worked... simple!!!

No such setting in 57 and I reviewed all the ones that looked like they might have control over that setting... no luck.

So, asking any of you 'smart =D> ' users for this mysterious answer.

Thanks All.
As you can see she's (The CAT) always alert and on the prowl for Meoware !!
8-bit

Re: Make a new tab blank

Post by 8-bit »

open a new tab...click on the gear...disable everything.
dfoulkes

Post by dfoulkes »

8-bit wrote:open a new tab...click on the gear...disable everything.
In version 57 and in Options/General... I have Home page as about:blank and for When Firefox starts... I have Show a blank page and that works. That's it... what am I missing.

In prior versions of FF that about:config setting was in there to handle that option but it no longer exists in 57.
therube

Post by therube »

You could try, https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefo ... -override/?
I haven't looked at it, so don't know if "blank" is "blank" or just a page that shows nothing (aka the bogus about:newtab).
Fire 750, bring back 250.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 6.1; en-US; rv:1.9.1.19) Gecko/20110420 SeaMonkey/2.0.14 Pinball CopyURL+ FetchTextURL FlashGot NoScript
Reflective

Post by Reflective »

Try this: https://www.askvg.com/firefox-tip-resto ... a-firefox/ (in the third screenshot there's the option to show a blank page after you reinstate tbe classic look).
Gingerbread Man

Post by Gingerbread Man »

If you want to do it without an add-on, see the following post. Just use about:blank instead of file:///…
:arrow: http://forums.mozillazine.org/viewtopic ... #p14779849
dfoulkes wrote:browser.newtab.url
Bug 1118285 removed that in Firefox 41, which was released September 22nd, 2015. So how did you handle the situation since then?
dfoulkes wrote:I have Home page as about:blank and for When Firefox starts... I have Show a blank page and that works. That's it... what am I missing.
Your homepage is what shows when you start the browser (by default), open a new window, or click the Home button. The new tab page is what shows when you open a new tab.
dfoulkes

Post by dfoulkes »

That about:config record was still in my version 52 (not the ESR version) and I backed up that profile prior to installing ESR here... JIC. Anyway, it is still in here and works fine...and it was working fine in the 'normal' Firefox 52...
therube

Post by therube »

You're talking about, browser.newtab.url ?
And you have that set to about:blank in Prefs?
And you're running FF 52 ESR?

And if you restart FF in Safe Mode, opening a new tab still opens about:blank?

I don't see where browser.newtab.url is having any effect in FF 52.
Fire 750, bring back 250.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 6.1; en-US; rv:1.9.1.19) Gecko/20110420 SeaMonkey/2.0.14 Pinball CopyURL+ FetchTextURL FlashGot NoScript
dfoulkes

Post by dfoulkes »

therube wrote:You're talking about, browser.newtab.url ?
And you have that set to about:blank in Prefs?
And you're running FF 52 ESR?

And if you restart FF in Safe Mode, opening a new tab still opens blank?
Correct... 52ESR... I just restarted my Test profile in safe-mode and clicked on the plus sign and a new Blank tab opened up. But now I'm starting to wonder because just to double check I opened up about:config in that Test profile and entered browser.newtab.url and I ain't got one... strange, now I need to look around in here...very strange. Not sure where else to look.... css/js stuff? ... don't remember, been too long for this old brain. :-"

I think I'll create another profile and test... just to see what happens.
Vitesse

Post by Vitesse »

therube wrote:You could try, https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefo ... -override/?
I haven't looked at it, so don't know if "blank" is "blank" or just a page that shows nothing (aka the bogus about:newtab).
When set to 'empty page' it opens a blank tab, entitled 'New Tab', with 'Search or enter address' in the address box.