[Ext] Classic Theme Restorer

Announce and Discuss the Latest Theme and Extension Releases.
Frank Lion

Re: [Ext] Classic Theme Restorer (Fx 29-56)

Post by Frank Lion »

BlohoJo wrote:.. I am not regularly at the Windows 10 computer I'm trying to fix. :P

....If anyone has any other ideas on how to obliterate it completely I'll try it.
I haven't got Win 10 (just Linux, XP and Win7) so I can't DOMi this one for you, but I'll throw this one in because if it isn't useful to you, then it will be to someone else.

On Linux, I've seen grown men cry trying to get rid of the dotted 'borders' that appear on focused buttons - they've thrown everything at it. The reason it doesn't work is that those ain't borders, those is - https://www.w3schools.com/css/css_outline.asp

Generally, it's an OS applied thing and I seem to recall it doesn't show up on DOMi (if I sound vague on it, it's because I've just coded it out automatically for years)

It takes outline: none !important; well, but with borders I prefer to DOMi them and see the width and use border: 2px solid transparent !important; etc. there, rather than use none. The reason is that you can bet that some bugger has coded the states borders differently and if you use none then the button or whatever will start jumping around on hover or active.

Anyway, try outline. :)
"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil, is for good men to do nothing." - Edmund Burke (attrib.)
Aris

Post by Aris »

BlohoJo wrote:...

Sorry it took me awhile to get back... I am not regularly at the Windows 10 computer I'm trying to fix. :P

Anyways, the most I could get was a reduction of the location bar highlight to 1 pixel. I was unable to obliterate it completely.

Here's what it looks like when I use the CSS you posted:

http://tommycatkins.com/2017/CTR_CSS_NoHighlight.png

yields

http://tommycatkins.com/2017/CTR_CSS_Highlight.png

I tried a border width of 0 pixels, I tried a transparent and hidden border, finally I tried a border type of none. The best I can get with anything is a thinner border of 1 pixel wide, which is better than nothing I guess. (It does disappear from around the location bar left icon.)

http://tommycatkins.com/2017/CTR_CSS_NoHighlight_1.pn

yields

http://tommycatkins.com/2017/CTR_CSS_Highlight_1.png

If anyone has any other ideas on how to obliterate it completely I'll try it.

Of course this is an extremely important issue and must be dealt with ASAP. ;P
Alright, I tested this one on Windows 10 FCU and it works. Windows 10 uses a box-shadow additionally to the border creating this weird ui glitch.

Code: Select all

#main-window[defaultfxtheme="true"] #urlbar,
#main-window[defaultfxtheme="true"] .searchbar-textbox {
  border: 1px solid ThreeDShadow !important;
  box-shadow: unset !important;
}
#main-window[defaultfxtheme="true"] #urlbar:not(:-moz-lwtheme)[focused],
#main-window[defaultfxtheme="true"] .searchbar-textbox:not(:-moz-lwtheme)[focused] {
  border: 1px solid ThreeDShadow !important;
  box-shadow: unset !important;
}
avada

Post by avada »

Hi!

I can't seem to add empty space, or expandable space to a toolbar in FF56 and WF56. Any reason this might happen?
These two elements also disappear when I alt tab away and back from the layout edit tab.
Aris

Post by Aris »

Firefox 56 (and Waterfox 56) broke the ability to move flexible spaces, spaces and separators to toolbars. One might think such a move was unnecessary, because of what Firefox 57+ changed anyway, but that are the facts. Who knows which dev hit his head against a wall again.

Those items are still working in Basilisk browser.
meg0

Post by meg0 »

CTR 1.7.3.4
In Nightly 56.0a1 (2017-08-06) I can't see "Add-on lists: compact view", but on DevEdition 56.0b3 it's there. They both support "legacy" extensions. Could this be fixed?
Screenshot: https://a.pomf.cat/sexkmh.png (left is DevEdition, right is Nightly)
James

Post by James »

Firefox 56.0b3 (56.0b12 was last build btw whether dev or beta) and the random Firefox 56.0a1 nightly are old builds. Why not just use the 56.0.2 Release if you must use Firefox 56.
meg0

Post by meg0 »

I use DevEdition 56.0b3 because many of my addons are unsigned, and because looking for other versions on Mozilla's archive server is insanely difficult for me (where did they hide newer DevEdition builds, anyways?). Oh, and because the new breadcrumb menu is super inconvenient. I would use a newer non-57+ version if I could find it.
avada

Post by avada »

meg0 wrote:I use DevEdition 56.0b3 because many of my addons are unsigned, and because looking for other versions on Mozilla's archive server is insanely difficult for me (where did they hide newer DevEdition builds, anyways?). Oh, and because the new breadcrumb menu is super inconvenient. I would use a newer non-57+ version if I could find it.
The beta builds are here, same as ohter releases: https://archive.mozilla.org/pub/firefox/releases/
Devedition is in a different section: https://archive.mozilla.org/pub/devedition/releases/
Aris

Post by Aris »

@meg0
I don't know what causes the glitch on your setup, but CTR does not distinguish between different channels, beta versions or nightly builds inside a main version like "56". No matter, if you are using 56.x release, 56b1-12, 56 any Nightly, CTR uses always the same code unless you mask your browser version somehow.

Why not simply moving to Waterfox or Basilisk? Legacy add-ons work there and do not require to be signed.
Rockin'Rio

Post by Rockin'Rio »

Aris wrote:Firefox 56 (and Waterfox 56) broke the ability to move flexible spaces, spaces and separators to toolbars. One might think such a move was unnecessary, because of what Firefox 57+ changed anyway, but that are the facts. Who knows which dev hit his head against a wall again.

Those items are still working in Basilisk browser.

I have found a workaround for this... If you open the hamburger icon, click customize, you can right click on the space, flexible space, and separator. Choose "add to toolbar" from the right click menu. It will add them to the navigation toolbar. From there, they can be drag and dropped to the other toolbars and placed wherever you like.
meg0

Post by meg0 »

avada wrote: The beta builds are here, same as ohter releases: https://archive.mozilla.org/pub/firefox/releases/
Devedition is in a different section: https://archive.mozilla.org/pub/devedition/releases/
Thanks, I'll see what did Mozilla break in later 56.0b* versions and whether they're worth everyday use.
Aris wrote:CTR uses always the same code unless you mask your browser version somehow.
Well, some addons claim to be compatible with 56.* but 56.0a1 refuses to accept such an addon (while 56.0b3 accepts it and it works). Perhaps there is some difference between these builds that breaks addons in unusual ways.
Aris wrote: Why not simply moving to Waterfox or Basilisk?
Waterfox stutters horribly when scrolling anything, with or without Servo\e10s\hardware acceleration. Basilisk gave me a bad first impression by not having Servo, and not having e10s on by default, but I'd love to see Palemoon's devs finally make a Firefox based browser that has proper add-on support.
Aris

Post by Aris »

I think overcoming your Besilisk differences should not be that hard. After all the features you require can be enabled manually.

Because unsigned add-ons can be installed on Fx 56 DevEdition and Nightly, you can download those add-ons, extract them, modify minVer/maxVer inside install.rdf, zip them and install them.

Btw. the last Fx56 Nightly I can find on Mozillas servers is a build from 2017-08-01 and it is horrible. Many ui features do not work properly with latest CTR, because they differ from Fx 56 beta/release, but the "compact view" settings on CTRs prefwindow are there.
I recommend not to use CTR with that Nightly.
meg0

Post by meg0 »

Aris wrote:I think overcoming your Besilisk differences should not be that hard. After all the features you require can be enabled manually.
Servo doesn't seem to be available at all. I don't know if Servo is any better than Firefox's previous CSS rendering engine, but Mozilla probably know what they're doing (when they're not busy breaking XUL\XPCOM addons).
I tried copying my main Firefox profile to use with Basilisk, but it throws a ton of addon installation prompts (annoying) and then breaks upon installing them (unusable).
Aris wrote: Because unsigned add-ons can be installed on Fx 56 DevEdition and Nightly, you can download those add-ons, extract them, modify minVer/maxVer inside install.rdf, zip them and install them.
I know that (and I have to do that a lot), but Nightly refuses to accept some of such addons, saying they're "incompatible". No idea why. DevEdition doesn't have that.
Aris wrote: Btw. the last Fx56 Nightly I can find on Mozillas servers is a build from 2017-08-01 and it is horrible. Many ui features do not work properly with latest CTR, because they differ from Fx 56 beta/release, but the "compact view" settings on CTRs prefwindow are there.
I recommend not to use CTR with that Nightly.
I wish Mozilla actually kept all the nightly builds there, I distinctly remember having a Nightly 57 build where the new UI changes were already there but "legacy" addons were still working. Working as in "actually working", not as in "running but not working as expected because of missing APIs".
Forlix

Post by Forlix »

Hi,

I have this little snippet that turns the URL bar and search bar borders into those classic Windows 3D borders (running FF52 on WinXP). Now I would like to use this together with the "Movable back-forward buttons" but this seems to override the URL bar border back to default.

Code: Select all

#main-window[defaultfxtheme="true"] * #urlbar,
#main-window[defaultfxtheme="true"] #nav-bar .searchbar-textbox {
  border: 2px solid !important;
  -moz-border-left-colors: ThreeDShadow ThreeDDarkShadow !important;
  -moz-border-top-colors: ThreeDShadow ThreeDDarkShadow !important;
  -moz-border-right-colors: ThreeDHighlight ThreeDLightShadow !important;
  -moz-border-bottom-colors: ThreeDHighlight ThreeDLightShadow !important;
}
Is there any way to make this code (entered in the "Custom CSS code" section) be applied last or any other way at all to get this to work? Maybe a slim chance to add this as a style to CTR? I don't know when they dropped it, but at least back in FF3 the URL bar used to have those native Windows 3D borders.

Thanks in advance for any help!
Aris

Post by Aris »

@meg0
The first few Fx 57 Nightlies allowed legacy add-ons to work like on Firefox 56. You could try to install them.
The current facts are these:
Firefox 52ESR is the last security-wise up-to-date version, that can run legacy add-ons till summer 2018.
Waterfox/Basilisk will run them far longer, but this of course does mean you can't get every new Firefox feature.
Using random/outdated Fx 56 builds from different channels won't lead you anywhere (no fixes, no security updates, no support).

@Forlix
If you enable mov. back/forward buttons after applying the code, it will temporarily overridden, but after a restart your code will stick.