user.js in Firefox 57 ?

User Help for Mozilla Firefox
the-edmeister

user.js in Firefox 57 ?

Post by the-edmeister »

Does user.js still work in Firefox 57?

Or is a mozilla.cfg file needed?

A mind is a terrible thing to waste. Mine has wandered off and I'm out looking for it.
therube

Re: user.js in Firefox 57 ?

Post by therube »

user.js works.
Fire 750, bring back 250.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 6.1; en-US; rv:1.9.1.19) Gecko/20110420 SeaMonkey/2.0.14 Pinball CopyURL+ FetchTextURL FlashGot NoScript
the-edmeister

Post by the-edmeister »

Thanks, I thought that was the case. Saw no mention at Ghacks or similar sites about it going away, but I don't think it was ever as popular as Chrome & Content were over the years.

Yesterday tried just one new pref for 57 in user.js - browser.newtabpage.activity-stream.aboutHome.enabled - and it didn't work to change it to false. Will have to try some of the prefs that I have been setting for years via user.js. I'm hoping that moving the cache folder works as before; I put the cache for almost all my Firefox Profiles on a separate logical drive to reduce the need for and that amount of time it takes to defrag the C:/ drive. Nice that with Linux defrag isn't needed.

Been using user.js for years now for all the about:config prefs that I routinely change when I build a new Profile; saves scratching my head trying to recall all the prefs that I routinely change if I only used about:config.And with 57 I decided to start from scratch rather than copy over an existing user.js file.

Gotta say though, that I really miss having ChromEdit Plus available for editing the 3 "user" files and miss the Restart button CEP had; real "pain" opening Troubleshooting Information (a Bookmark helps a bit) and then opening the Profile folder to get to those 3 files and using the Browser Console to do a restart - and killing the multiple processes thru the Task Manager is now a no-go for "restarts" or a "session saver" procedure.

Ed
A mind is a terrible thing to waste. Mine has wandered off and I'm out looking for it.
lovemyfoxy

Post by lovemyfoxy »

Would you like a tiny Santa hat? I can have it ready tomorrow.
2 Desktops--Win 7 Ult.SP1 x64/6GB RAM /Firefox 52.9ESR/Waterfox64 2022.11/Thunderbird 52.9ESR/BitWarden PW Manager/Verizon FIOS wired network
the-edmeister

Post by the-edmeister »

LoveMyFoxy wrote:Would you like a tiny Santa hat? I can have it ready tomorrow.
Thanks for the offer, but I just needed to dig it off my old PC. Still works, but it takes WinXP almost 15 minutes to boot up to Desktop. I must have lost from this PC last year when I switched back to the regular avatar - unless I was missing it for the last 2 Xmas seasons.

Ed
lovemyfoxy

Post by lovemyfoxy »

I have an old XP, but nowhere 15 minutes to boot.
2 Desktops--Win 7 Ult.SP1 x64/6GB RAM /Firefox 52.9ESR/Waterfox64 2022.11/Thunderbird 52.9ESR/BitWarden PW Manager/Verizon FIOS wired network
JayhawksRock

Post by JayhawksRock »

FWIW No more then 15 seconds to startup cold on XP here. Fast connection, no Cache and no more than 10 tabs at start up
"The trouble with quotes on the internet is you never know if they are genuine" ...Abraham Lincoln
the-edmeister

Post by the-edmeister »

I know that WinXP needs to be reinstalled on that old PC - but after 7 years (built in 2008 & replaced in 2015) with it I just decided to build a new PC and replace it. Still works pretty good once it is booted.

lovemyfoxy

Post by lovemyfoxy »

JayhawksRock wrote:FWIW No more then 15 seconds to startup cold on XP here. Fast connection, no Cache and no more than 10 tabs at start up
Do you still take it on the web? I really hate Win 7. I might just use my old XP for backup, i.e. use it when this one needs repair.
Last edited by lovemyfoxy on December 15th, 2017, 1:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
dickvl

Post by dickvl »

Note that you can also use the about:profiles page to restart Firefox.
This page also has buttons to go to the profile folder.

user.js is parsed (interpreted and only user_pref is allowed) as opposed to mozilla.cfg that is run as a JavaScript file and can contain other JavaScript code.