Permissions tab lacks "Allow first party only" for Cookies

User Help for Mozilla Firefox
mp107

Permissions tab lacks "Allow first party only" for Cookies

Post by mp107 »

Welcome,
Recently, I decided to give the Firefox Quantum 57 a try.
Earlier I used Pale Moon as the main browser.
After a few days using Firefox I came across some (important for me) differences between them.
One of them is located in "Permissions" tab of the "View Page info" window.
On the Firefox 57 (image on the right) there is no "Allow first party only" setting for cookies management section whereas it is in place on Pale Moon 27 (image on the left).
Image ImageClick to enlarge.

Is there any way to bring this option to Firefox Quantum 57?

If not, I hope there is some way of setting per-domain/per-website settings as I know I can set it by changing the value of network.cookie.cookieBehavior entry in the about:config.
Brummelchen

Re: Permissions tab lacks "Allow first party only" for Cooki

Post by Brummelchen »

untick option left side (default) and you will have the choice.

session is deafult, allow or block you can set in another way too.
go privacy&security -> cookies -> exceptions
https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb/di ... ty-cookies
mgagnonlv

Post by mgagnonlv »

Could that option be related to an extension you had? Because I checked my Firefox 52 ESR and I have only the 3 options shown in on the right side. There is no "Allow first-party only" selection in either Firefox 52 ESR.
Michel Gagnon
Montréal (Québec, Canada)
Brummelchen

Post by Brummelchen »

there never was a "first-party" filter except "exceptions" -> allow/block.
for any other use uMatrix
https://addons.mozilla.org/en-us/firefox/addon/umatrix/

insert in "my rules":

* * cookie block
* 1st-party cookie allow

but i can tell you that this is no good idea for novice because you need to adjust/allow other domains cookies in uMatrix.
mp107

Post by mp107 »

Thank you for the answers.
In the meantime I have installed and tested a few older Firefox ESRs down to the Firefox 10.0 and there wasn't such option too.
It looks like it is Pale Moon specific and not exists in any Firefox version. At least by default with no extensions.
So, I will have to use the one in the Settings -> Cookies -> Exceptions.

I don't want to sound vain etc. but I am not a novice (I have few posts here though) and I am aware of possible issues with such browser customization. But thank you for mentioning it because I agree cookies white-/blacklisting can break browsing when done without sufficient caution.

I have read about uMatrix before and I am currently testing it out on Firefox Nightly. What a pity it doesn't seem to have an option to use AdBlock/uBlock lists in itself.
therube

Post by therube »

Isn't "Allow First Party Only" going to have the same effect as (what was in the past, in FF) to not "Accept third-party", cookies?
So yes, FF did have that feature, though removed it.
Actually, FF does have the ability to block third-party cookies (at least through FF 52).
(I thought they had removed that option?)

Oh, & I see also, I'm confusing Cookie policy in general, & (cookie) permissions available per domain (site).

SeaMonkey options, for reference:
Fire 750, bring back 250.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 6.1; en-US; rv:1.9.1.19) Gecko/20110420 SeaMonkey/2.0.14 Pinball CopyURL+ FetchTextURL FlashGot NoScript
mp107

Post by mp107 »

Yes, Firefox does have an option to block third party cookies but I am investigating in making the browser act like:
1. rule: If website "example.com" is somehow marked (using some settings I am looking for) then store first party cookies normally (as not-session-only) but for third party cookies do not block them but make them session only (= clean them up on the browser closure).
2. rule: If website "example.com" did not match the 1. rule then allow both first and third party cookies but make them session-only (= clean them up on the browser closure).

Currently, I have set the browser to store all cookies as session only (=cleaning them all at the browser closure), to allow only first party cookies and to allow some particular websites rule for cookies as "Allow" (which seems to override cleaning those particular cookies).
And now, it allows for particular websites to store first party cookies "normally". That is okay. But it rejects at all third party cookies and that behaviour I would like to avoid.

Either way, it looks like the uMatrix does have an option to do such "filtering" cookies, so I will probably use it if the mentioned earlier method wil fail.