Bookmarks changing icons

User Help for Mozilla Firefox
axlander

Bookmarks changing icons

Post by axlander »

Hi!
This problem occured after updating to Firefox 57 (i now have 57.0.2). For some reason the icons of my bookmarks keeps changing, as you can see here:

Notice how Aftenposten and TV2 have the same icon. TV2 now having Aftenposten's icon, and this just happened randomly. I also noticed that a other bookmark just lost its icon and was replaced with the default firefox icon. I have tried re-adding the bookmark but it doesnt help. I also notice that many of my bookmarks in the list doesnt get a icon, even though it had one in previous versions of Firefox.

Does anyone know how to fix this?
Gingerbread Man

Re: Bookmarks changing icons

Post by Gingerbread Man »

Hello,

While Firefox is closed, delete favicons.sqlite from your profile folder. After restarting, all bookmark icons will be gone until you visit the respective site again.
the-edmeister

Post by the-edmeister »

That problem has been happening to me for quite a number of Firefox versions now; not related to Firefox 57, IMO. Firefox ESR 38.7.1 is doing that, and for even a few versions before that. (I always have multiple versions of Firefox installed, each with its own Profile and bookmarks.) Only seems to happen with a bookmark that acquires the favicon from the one that is directly below it. Don't recall that happening with any bookmarks that weren't adjacent.
A mind is a terrible thing to waste. Mine has wandered off and I'm out looking for it.
RobertJ

Post by RobertJ »

the-edmeister wrote:Only seems to happen with a bookmark that acquires the favicon from the one that is directly below it. Don't recall that happening with any bookmarks that weren't adjacent.
Not sure what you mean. FWIW all my favicons are unchanged unless a site does a change.

FF 92.0 - TB 78.13 - Mac OSX 10.13.6
axlander

Post by axlander »

Gingerbread Man wrote:Hello,

While Firefox is closed, delete favicons.sqlite from your profile folder. After restarting, all bookmark icons will be gone until you visit the respective site again.
Thank you!!
eisneun

Post by eisneun »

Gingerbread Man wrote: While Firefox is closed, delete favicons.sqlite from your profile folder. After restarting, all bookmark icons will be gone until you visit the respective site again.
try this so that all your bookmark icons aren't wiped out and having to revisit all those sites.
delete the offending bookmark. go to history in the library (Ctrl+Shift+H).
right click on any of the entries for the offending site and click Forget About This Site.
reset your bookmark. the correct icon should be restored.
How can ace be one and eleven? Huh?
What kind of god would allow that?