The future of Seamonkey?

Discussion of general topics about Seamonkey
Lemon Juice

Re: The future of Seamonkey?

Post by Lemon Juice »

frg wrote:57+ usage stats I have a hunch...
Just curious - where can I see those stats and compare them to earlier versions?
*** SeaMonkey — weird name, sane interface, modern bowels ***
Mouse Gestures for SeaMonkey/Firefox
Convert Fx and TB extensions to SeaMonkey
Frank Lion

Post by Frank Lion »

frg wrote:Not sure why they care now so much about ESR customers now when they neglected them for years but looking at 57+ usage stats I have a hunch...
Asa Dotzler wrote: Years ago, we didn’t have the resources. Today, I argue, we shouldn’t care even if we do have the resources because of the cost benefit trade. A minute spent making a corporate user happy can better be spent making many regular users happy. I’d much rather Mozilla spending its limited resources looking out for the billions of users that don’t have enterprise support systems already taking care of them.
https://mike.kaply.com/2011/06/23/under ... ment-10493

Guess those billions of users just went elsewhere.
"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil, is for good men to do nothing." - Edmund Burke (attrib.)
frg

Post by frg »

> Just curious - where can I see those stats and compare them to earlier versions?

Pick your favorite stats site and compare numbers. I see a > 12% decline for desktop firefox over the last months with statcounter. Keep in mind that the numbers may be skewed and just see it as a trend not actual numbers.

Gives me some satisfaction to know that I am probably right but won't help SeaMonkey one bit :)

FRG
pintassilgo

Post by pintassilgo »

The end of autoconfig.js? Nooooooo. [:(]
morat

Post by morat »

pintassilgo wrote:The end of autoconfig.js? Nooooooo.
Sad times...

* remove userChrome.css
* replace autoconfig.js with configuration.json
* create omni.ja with non-standard compression algo

I think I need to find another hobby.

StatCounter Browser Market Share Desktop USA
http://gs.statcounter.com/browser-marke ... of-america
WaltS48

Post by WaltS48 »

pintassilgo wrote:
The end of autoconfig.js? Nooooooo. [:(]
Do you deploy Firefox ESR in an organization?

If not you don't need to create the "admin-specified configuration" and can go on about your business as before. AIUI.
Linux Desktop - AMD Athlon(tm) II X3 455 3.3GHz | 8.0GB RAM | GeForce GT 630
Windows Notebook - AMD A8 7410 2.2GHz | 6.0GB RAM | AMD Radeon R5
WaltS48

Post by WaltS48 »

frg wrote:> Where was this announcement made?

Got it today via an internal council mail.

First details here:

https://wiki.mozilla.org/Firefox/EnterprisePolicies

FRG
Thanks! Interesting read and I look forward to more details as they become available.
Linux Desktop - AMD Athlon(tm) II X3 455 3.3GHz | 8.0GB RAM | GeForce GT 630
Windows Notebook - AMD A8 7410 2.2GHz | 6.0GB RAM | AMD Radeon R5
frg

Post by frg »

There is also an accompanying bug but it is not accessible for mere mortals:

https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=1419102
JodyThornton

Post by JodyThornton »

I hope this is the right place to ask this, about forthcoming SeaMonkey 2.57+ versions.

I downloaded and installed the beta for 2.57 and the 2.58 x64 builds. I installed each at at time on my work-based Windows 7 machine. Now my understanding was that v2.57 and higher would be based on Firefox ESR 60. I was expecting from that perhaps that SeaMonkey would inherit the flatter look of Photon in these builds. But they looked like regular SeaMonkey to me. I didn't try any WebExtensions, nor did I test any legacy ones

Are the release versions of SeaMonkey indeed getting the Photon look? And will WebRender be also included?

Thanks for your time.
Cheers,
Jody Thornton
(Richmond Hill, Ontario)
tonymec

Post by tonymec »

JodyThornton wrote:I hope this is the right place to ask this, about forthcoming SeaMonkey 2.57+ versions.

I downloaded and installed the beta for 2.57 and the 2.58 x64 builds. I installed each at at time on my work-based Windows 7 machine. Now my understanding was that v2.57 and higher would be based on Firefox ESR 60. I was expecting from that perhaps that SeaMonkey would inherit the flatter look of Photon in these builds. But they looked like regular SeaMonkey to me. I didn't try any WebExtensions, nor did I test any legacy ones

Are the release versions of SeaMonkey indeed getting the Photon look? And will WebRender be also included?

Thanks for your time.
I suppose this is one possible place to ask. You might get a faster answer on IRC, in the #seamonkey channel of the irc.mozilla.org network, or if you use ChatZilla, at irc://moznet/seamonkey

SeaMonkey always came with two built-in themes (Default and Modern), I wouldn't expect either to be a copycat version of a Firefox theme, especially now that the Firefox developers seem to be doing everything they can to throw wrenches in Seamonkey's machinery. I'm not even sure that ChatZilla still works in recent beta or trunk buids, if you can succeed to make such builds work at all. But you might have a better answer on IRC, see above.
Best regards,
Tony
JodyThornton

Post by JodyThornton »

I'll look at IRC. I've never used either of the services. This was where I got all and any SeaMonkey answers since 2005. All good though.
Any help or guidance is appreciated.
:)
Cheers,
Jody Thornton
(Richmond Hill, Ontario)
tonymec

Post by tonymec »

P.S. The way to get an answer on IRC is:
  1. Find the right network and channel
  2. Ask your question straightaway (don't ask if you may ask)
  3. Wait (possibly hours) for an answer. People who don't know the answer to your question will simply not answer; those who do may see the question when they come back (e.g. from dinner) and answer then — if you're still there.
  4. If and when someone answers you, (s)he will start with your nick, and that will make your IRC client wake up — blink its icon, maybe, or pop up a notification.
Good luck!
Best regards,
Tony
LordOfTheBored

Post by LordOfTheBored »

JodyThornton wrote:I hope this is the right place to ask this, about forthcoming SeaMonkey 2.57+ versions.

I downloaded and installed the beta for 2.57 and the 2.58 x64 builds. I installed each at at time on my work-based Windows 7 machine. Now my understanding was that v2.57 and higher would be based on Firefox ESR 60.
Yes.
I was expecting from that perhaps that SeaMonkey would inherit the flatter look of Photon in these builds. But they looked like regular SeaMonkey to me. I didn't try any WebExtensions, nor did I test any legacy ones

Thanks for your time.
I don't know about WebExtensions(and I'm not sure anyone does right now), but Seamonkey's never inherited Firefox's skin.
One of the reasons Seamonkey exists as a project is that people don't LIKE Firefox's interface. Some significant percentage of us wants to keep using ye olde Mozilla-the-application/Netscape 4 interface, warts and all.

So as a general rule, Firefox is the "under the hood" part, not the user-facing part. Which isn't to say that some Firefox UI hasn't crept in over the years(DEATH TO THE FIND BAR!), but there's been an active attempt to keep it at arm's length as much as possible.
frg

Post by frg »

Well as it stands the planned 2.57 version will likely be the last one. Even this one is months off because of platform removals but I don't see any chance to continue beyond it with the current dev base. Good job Mozilla.

https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=1446341

Can't say if by then any of the forks can sustain itself so that we have something to build on. Waterfox plans to go to 60 but not sure how this impacts them. Palemoon builds UXP on a 52 base.

On the bright side. 2.49.4 and even the 2.53 fixer upper are working great and if you are not too concerned about security (I know everyone should) they are still usable for some time to come.
JodyThornton

Post by JodyThornton »

I was starting to envision that you'd have a SeaMonkey suite that would take on characteristics of the Photon UI. So I was imagining a "flat" modern look, but with all of the preferences and buttons exactly where they still are. So it would work differently than Quantum, but have the same "look". I have to concede that I like Quantum. I feel poorly that SeaMonkey can't continue.
Cheers,
Jody Thornton
(Richmond Hill, Ontario)