Looking Glass extension

User Help for Mozilla Firefox
therube

Re: Looking Glass extension

Post by therube »

Gingerbread Man wrote:You could probably try to mess with the permissions for the features folder, but who knows how the installer would react if it can't create files where it expects to.
Starting with 57.0, it pulled down the 57.0.2 partial .mar, which silently failed, so it then pulled down the full .mar, which outright "replaced", so while the browser was updated to 57.0.2, so did /"features"/ [update], so once again, they're back there.
Fire 750, bring back 250.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 6.1; en-US; rv:1.9.1.19) Gecko/20110420 SeaMonkey/2.0.14 Pinball CopyURL+ FetchTextURL FlashGot NoScript
therube

Post by therube »

I'll also note that none of these "features" extensions are "webextensions".
So once again, Mozilla is cheating at its own game.
Fire 750, bring back 250.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 6.1; en-US; rv:1.9.1.19) Gecko/20110420 SeaMonkey/2.0.14 Pinball CopyURL+ FetchTextURL FlashGot NoScript
Frank Lion

Post by Frank Lion »

tanstaafl wrote:In general, how do you delete a "technical add-on"?
First, as always, back-up your profile. (Help>Trouble Shoot> Open Folder or whatever > up it pops.)

Just rename them or rename the entire Prog App > Browser > Features folder. I just renamed mine to Features1. Where there is strength, there is weakness, so that downside of programs requiring exact syntax (a devil when you're coding) does mean that renaming is as good as deleting.

Equally, the strength of the convenience of having technical add-ons as not part of the core program, gives the weakness that they can be got rid of without adverse impact. This contrasts with fiddling with almost any core file/folder, (onmi.ja, chrome.manifest, etc.) which often results in the need to re-install.
Can you prevent it from being automatically re-installed next update?
Unlikely. Easiest is to set to do manual updates (I do .zip or tar.bz2) do the update offline and make 'adjustments' like above at the same time.

TDV wrote:As I am allergic to any kind of telemetry, ...

....How do I proceed?
Here's a start - http://forums.mozillazine.org/viewtopic ... #p14780590 Don't take that list as definitive, as they are like The Terminator or rats up a drainpipe on this stuff and will never stop.

That last http part is very effective and mops up any entries you might have missed. Use with judgement generally or, for example, your Addons Manager will cease to inform of you of extension updates and the like.

As with all things in life the choice is yours. If it's not, then change your reality until it is.
"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil, is for good men to do nothing." - Edmund Burke (attrib.)
Brummelchen

Post by Brummelchen »

mightyglydd wrote:
Brummelchen wrote:this wild card testing
Here on Earth we call it what it is, ADVERTISING A TV SHOW
another comment i found
"In the past I was fine with Mozilla's approach to telemetry and studies, making my browser available for occasional testing/experimenting/data collection to track down bugs or measure improvements or whatever is fine," a Redditor said. "This is not doing any of those things. This is an advertisement. This is an abuse of the telemetry and shield studies program.
i am sorry not to refine mozillas telemetry because it is not included here - as Frank linked to changed pref settings (collected here as user.js - thx)

PS to remember - the "big bang" #-o
https://www.cnet.com/news/mozilla-ceo-c ... -big-bang/
elist74

Post by elist74 »

Sombody at reddit point this: about:robots
Frank Lion

Post by Frank Lion »

elist74 wrote:Sombody at reddit point this: about:robots
Somebody at mozillaZine point this: about:cretins
"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil, is for good men to do nothing." - Edmund Burke (attrib.)
James

Post by James »

Nothing new as it has existed in Firefox since the March 8, 2008 trunk (nightly) builds.
elist74

Post by elist74 »

James wrote:
Nothing new as it has existed in Firefox since the March 8, 2008 trunk (nightly) builds.
Just saw that (i feel like a cretin myself) :wink:
Frank Lion

Post by Frank Lion »

elist74 wrote:Just saw that (i feel like a cretin myself) :wink:
Don't. It's not that well-known and easily missed.
TDV

Post by TDV »

Frank Lion wrote:
tanstaafl wrote: ....How do I proceed?
Here's a start - http://forums.mozillazine.org/viewtopic ... #p14780590 Don't take that list as definitive, as they are like The Terminator or rats up a drainpipe on this stuff and will never stop.

That last http part is very effective and mops up any entries you might have missed. Use with judgement generally or, for example, your Addons Manager will cease to inform of you of extension updates and the like.

As with all things in life the choice is yours. If it's not, then change your reality until it is.
THanks for the link and its list. After following all of them I still find some "true" Any idea what that means and if I should leave ituntouched?

media.wmf.deblacklisting-for-telemetry-in-gpu-process;true
network.allow-experiments;true
datareporting.policy.dataSubmissionEnabled;true

???
Frank Lion

Post by Frank Lion »

TDV wrote:... and if I should leave it untouched?

media.wmf.deblacklisting-for-telemetry-in-gpu-process;true
network.allow-experiments;true
datareporting.policy.dataSubmissionEnabled;true

???
Personally, I would toggle them to false as well. As I wrote, the list keeps expanding.

All I want from a browser is that it shows me the websites I want. I don't want to be part of some global research project.
elist74

Post by elist74 »

Off topic Question.
Is those telemetry things use some bandwidth and slow down internet (for limited internet account or 56k modem ) (BTW not my case ;-) )
James

Post by James »

The Looking Glass extension is now on https://addons.mozilla.org/firefox/addon/looking-glass/

Of course it already has people spamming the reviews with one star whining.
malliz
Folder@Home

Post by malliz »

James wrote: Of course it already has people spamming the reviews with one star whining.
Pretty well deserved
What sort of man would put a known criminal in charge of a major branch of government? Apart from, say, the average voter.
"Terry Pratchett"
James

Post by James »

Of course this is from people who had it installed as part of studies before Mozilla uninstalled it and not installed it from AMO.