Mozilla -- what were they thinking? re FireFTP

Discussion of general topics about Mozilla Firefox
messypotamia

Mozilla -- what were they thinking? re FireFTP

Post by messypotamia »

FireFTP did everything I needed to do in the way I needed it done. There is no replacement I see available. Some others I've tried, which don't integrate into Firefox (e.g. standalone apps) are commercialized and don't do it nearly as handily as FireFTP did; or, the Chrome extension I tried, was trial (needed payment after 120 minutes), and didn't work worth a darn anyway.
Seriously Mozilla, what were you thinking? I know I'm not the only one who is severely *pissed* about this.
I do work every day that requires the integration of ftp into my browser.
I wonder if I'm the only one who *hates* you for this dilemma you've put me in.
DanRaisch

Re: Mozilla -- what were they thinking? re FireFTP

Post by DanRaisch »

You're a bit off base here, friend. Mozilla never provided FireFTP. It was created and maintained by an independent developer who has declined or been unable to provide a new version that would work with Firefox 57 and beyond.

See this thread -- http://forums.mozillazine.org/viewtopic ... #p14776890
messypotamia

Post by messypotamia »

DanRaisch wrote:You're a bit off base here, friend. Mozilla never provided FireFTP.<snip>
I know they didn't. What they did do is force an update to a version which no longer supports what this poster, and I believe many others, considers a critical add-on.
I need a suitable replacement for FireFTP for 57+.
DanRaisch

Post by DanRaisch »

Yes, but it's the author of the extension who chose not to provide an update that would be compatible.

A replacement was identified in the thread I posted above.
diverjer

Post by diverjer »

I also use and like FireFtp, but have stayed on V56 for just this reason,also waiting on NoScripts to either get better and study up on the new interface. Then will make decision on continued use of FF.
Virtual_ManPL

Post by Virtual_ManPL »

@ messypotamia - I can suggest swapping to Firefox ESR
or maybe some other Firefox forks in future, as XUL & XBL & XPCOM extensions will be dropped from Firefox ESR too,
but only if you really need this extension and replacements have many missing features etc.
But better idea is to start looking for external software, especially if it's just only FTP client.

DanRaisch wrote:Yes, but it's the author of the extension who chose not to provide an update that would be compatible.[...]
It's impossible to provide the update of this extension which will be working properly, when Mozilla removed necessary APIs and not implanted any replacement yet.
Some bugs about this:
https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=1271553
https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=1247628
Virtualfox persona
Tired of constant Firefox UI changes? XUL extensions are not working anymore? Try SeaMonkey, Waterfox Classic, Pale Moon.