Custom install FF 57 on Mac Sierra

User Help for Mozilla Firefox
fsinclaire

Custom install FF 57 on Mac Sierra

Post by fsinclaire »

I have a Mac Retina with Sierra and FF 56. I would like to install FF 57 in a folder separate from FF 56. That is, not replace FF 56 yet. Instead, have both FF 56 and FF 57 on the desktop. Can that be done? I remember the "custom install" option from Windows installations, allowing the choice of a specific folder, but I don't think I've seen that on the Mac. I will be grateful for ideas. Francis
RobertJ

Re: Custom install FF 57 on Mac Sierra

Post by RobertJ »

To do that you need to have two profiles and change FF57 name before putting it in the Applications folder. I use a simple AppleScript to do that. I assume you want to use an identical profile as FF56. If that is correct let me know and I will provide information. Also, you will need to use the Script Editor; I can provide the code.

I will be gone soon but will return tomorrow; let me know.

FF 92.0 - TB 78.13 - Mac OSX 10.13.6
fsinclaire

Post by fsinclaire »

Your question is a little over my head. I guess I would like to do whatever is necessary. If you can tell me how to do it, that would be great. Thank you.
RobertJ

Post by RobertJ »

I can give you step by step instructions and insure that you do not screw up your current FF56. I would first provide the entire process so you have an idea of what to expect. It will a bit longer than necessary but assumes you are not familiar with various Mac things. If you are comfortable with that can do it one step at a time. Leaving now with my wife to a holiday dinner. Will check this thread tomorrow.

fsinclaire

Post by fsinclaire »

I am impressed by, and grateful for, your generous offer of time. Like you, I am in the midst of the holidays, and over the next several, more than several, days I am not going to have the free time that it sounds like will be necessary. In my Windows experience, it was just a matter of specifying a different (custom) directory at the outset of the installation process. Clearly, on a Mac it is more complicated than that. Perhaps the better course for me is simply to stop fussing, and install FF 57 over FF 56 in the normal manner. My major concern is control of Cookies. I am happy with FF 56 in that respect, and I do not want to lose that. But as I wrote on another thread (in this forum, I think), it seems (after looking at FF 57 on another computer, albeit running Windows 7), the same options -- at Preferences>Privacy & Security -- will be available. So, after the holidays that is probably what I will do.

Again, thank you. And best wishes for the holidays!
RobertJ

Post by RobertJ »

Before you do anything, I can tell you how to install 57 after backing up your 56 profile (just in case).
fsinclaire wrote:on a Mac it is more complicated
Not really. Just different.

Will be around after Christmas in the event you need help; and, you are correct that FF57 looks the same on Win and Mac. Will be around for a couple more days in case you want to back up your profile and take the leap before Christmas.