Two Fx versions together?

User Help for Mozilla Firefox
Odin2

Two Fx versions together?

Post by Odin2 »

Is it possible [and if so, how?] to run on the same unpartitioned hard drive the ESR and release versions of Fx?
smsmith

Re: Two Fx versions together?

Post by smsmith »

Install version A. Run it to create a profile.

Install version B. Make sure you do not install it to the same place as version A.

Run version B using the profile manager. Make sure you create a second profile to use with version B, giving it a name that you easily recognize as your version B profile. Turn off the checkbox for "Don't ask at startup" in the profile manager before running version B.

Create a shortcut for version A that invokes the profile manager or explicitly tells version A to load "profile A".
Create a shortcut for version B that invokes the profile manager or explicitly tells version B to load "profile B".

See this help article for more information.
http://kb.mozillazine.org/Profile_manager

Personally, I've set the profile manager to always ask which profile to use. When I launch my shortcut, the profile manager loads first and I pick the profile for that version.
Give a man a fish, and he eats for a day. Teach a man to fish, and he eats for a lifetime.
I like poetry, long walks on the beach and poking dead things with a stick.
Please do not PM me for personal support. Keep posts here in the Forums instead and we all learn.
James

Post by James »

An article on how to start with a specific Profile. http://kb.mozillazine.org/Shortcut_to_a ... ic_profile
Odin2

Post by Odin2 »

Thanks, smsmith and James. I'll plan to follow your tips when Quantum kicks in, to allow me to use my current extensions a bit longer.
the-edmeister

Post by the-edmeister »

Best doing it now before Quantum is installed, so you can keep your current Profile for ESR and use the new Profile for Quantum.

A mind is a terrible thing to waste. Mine has wandered off and I'm out looking for it.