Best thing to do if FF57 freezes?

User Help for Mozilla Firefox
GLint

Best thing to do if FF57 freezes?

Post by GLint »

A couple of times now FF57 has frozen and the way I have got out of it is going to 'Task Manager' and clicking on 'end task'.
But I've now noticed that one of the 'background processes' seems to be the cause of the freeze.
Can I just end this one process which will let me use FF again, or will this cause problems, such as not saving my session correctly?

Thanks
dfoulkes

Re: Best thing to do if FF57 freezes?

Post by dfoulkes »

I don't use 57 yet... but if I were you I'd at least post the name of that background process(es) here so that B4 you kill stuff... at least you will have expert comments about it.... just saying.

EDIT: It would also be more info for you... if you took a snapshot of those processes... close Firefox, restart Firefox in safe-mode... check out those processes again... I guess try to see if any of them are related to add-ons... I'm just trying to figure out what I would do if in your shoes.
As you can see she's (The CAT) always alert and on the prowl for Meoware !!
GLint

Post by GLint »

There are 4 processes running, and they are all called 'firefox'. There is no other information.
therube

Post by therube »

Can I just end this one process which will let me use FF again, or will this cause problems, such as not saving my session correctly?
Well if FF crashes (or is killed) altogether, you don't have a choice in the matter.

Most likely one of the processes will be using high CPU where the others are more moderate.
I have successfully killed that high CPU process without entirely killing the browser.
(Now that did kill any number of tabs, but at least the browser remained running & I could shut it down [& restart it] without incident.)

You can only assume that your session data will remain in a valid state.
You never actually know until the browser opens & the session loads.
(You could "interactively" backup the files, to have additional copies, that might or might not be of value should things go awry.)
Fire 750, bring back 250.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 6.1; en-US; rv:1.9.1.19) Gecko/20110420 SeaMonkey/2.0.14 Pinball CopyURL+ FetchTextURL FlashGot NoScript
GLint

Post by GLint »

therube wrote:
Well if FF crashes (or is killed) altogether, you don't have a choice in the matter.

Most likely one of the processes will be using high CPU where the others are more moderate.
I have successfully killed that high CPU process without entirely killing the browser.
(Now that did kill any number of tabs, but at least the browser remained running & I could shut it down [& restart it] without incident.)

You can only assume that your session data will remain in a valid state.
You never actually know until the browser opens & the session loads.
(You could "interactively" backup the files, to have additional copies, that might or might not be of value should things go awry.)
Thanks for the information.
Yes, one of the processes is using high CPU.
I think I will do what I've been doing, and stop Firefox by using Task Manager.
My last session loads without incident afterwards.