Insecure connection? (resolved)

User Help for Mozilla Firefox
Jito463

Insecure connection? (resolved)

Post by Jito463 »

*EDIT*
Well, it turns out the problem was caused by a change our network technician made on our network. Whatever he did has been corrected, and so the issue is now resolved.
*EDIT*

Recently did a fresh install of Windows 10 b1709 on a laptop, then installed the latest Firefox (57.0.2) and Chrome (63) per normal. Was able to install Adblock Plus in Chrome without any issues, but when attempting to do so with Firefox I get "Insecure connection". Specifically:
The owner of addons.cdn.mozilla.net has configured their website improperly. To protect your information from being stolen, Firefox has not connected to this website.
Clicking 'advanced' gives me the following:
addons.cdn.mozilla.net uses an invalid security certificate.
The certificate is not trusted because the issuer certificate is unknown.
The server might not be sending the appropriate intermediate certificates.
An additional root certificate may need to be imported.
The certificate is only valid for search.dnsadvantage.com
The certificate expired on Sunday, September 17, 2017, 11:03 PM. The current time is Wednesday, December 20, 2017, 11:53 AM.

Error code: SEC_ERROR_UNKNOWN_ISSUER
I've tried through Adblockplus.org and through the Add-ons screen in Firefox itself. I even tried selecting uBlock Origin from the main Add-ons screen, to no avail (the latter says 'Download failed. Please check your connection.'). I've tried uninstalling and reinstalling Firefox, I've tried deleting the cert8.db file from Appdata as well as verifying the time/date is set correctly (it is), all to no avail.

To me, this appears to be an issue on Mozilla's side, but since I saw no one else mention it on the forum (through a limited search), I thought I'd post in case someone had a suggestion I hadn't considered. Thanks in advance.

In the meantime, I'm going to attempt to install version 56 and see if that resolves my issue. I'll post back if it does.
Last edited by Jito463 on December 22nd, 2017, 4:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Gingerbread Man

Re: Insecure connection?

Post by Gingerbread Man »

Jito463 wrote:The certificate is only valid for search.dnsadvantage.com
Why is that thing trying to inject its (expired) certificate into your secure sites? Did you install anything related to that site, or do you have software that makes use of it?
Jito463

Post by Jito463 »

Gingerbread Man wrote:
Jito463 wrote:The certificate is only valid for search.dnsadvantage.com
Why is that thing trying to inject its (expired) certificate into your secure sites? Did you install anything related to that site, or do you have software that makes use of it?
This is a clean install of Windows. The only things installed so far were Firefox, Chrome, VLC and TeamViewer 12. This has happened now on three different computers, all with clean installs of Windows 10, and only with Firefox. Chrome works just fine.
Reflective

Post by Reflective »

The addons site is mozilla.org not mozilla.net https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/
therube

Post by therube »

Some content on addons.cdn.mozilla.net does seem to be legit, mostly screenshots, but some extensions are found there.
Though some (dead?) links seem to rollover to crap (IOW a poorly configured service).

So I guess we need a link of what & where the OP is starting from?
Fire 750, bring back 250.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 6.1; en-US; rv:1.9.1.19) Gecko/20110420 SeaMonkey/2.0.14 Pinball CopyURL+ FetchTextURL FlashGot NoScript
Jito463

Post by Jito463 »

Reflective wrote:The addons site is mozilla.org not mozilla.net https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/
therube wrote:Some content on addons.cdn.mozilla.net does seem to be legit, mostly screenshots, but some extensions are found there.
Though some (dead?) links seem to rollover to crap (IOW a poorly configured service).

So I guess we need a link of what & where the OP is starting from?
The error message in the first post was from adblockplus.org (as previously stated). I've also tried installing Adblock Plus from the add-ons screen in Firefox itself and tried ticking the box to install uBlock Origin from the main add-ons screen in Firefox. I even tried downloading uBlock Origin and installing it manually, Firefox said that it wasn't signed and wouldn't allow me to install it. Not a single one will install, and this is now on five distinct computers, all with clean installs of Windows 10 (I work at a computer store, so I'm performing clean installs quite often).
Jito463

Post by Jito463 »

I'm going to test a theory and take one of the laptops home with me tonight. I'm curious if perhaps our ISP might be causing the issue somehow. I'll report back tomorrow on my findings, though if you have any more ideas in the meantime feel free to post them.
therube

Post by therube »

I even tried downloading uBlock Origin and installing it manually, Firefox said that it wasn't signed and wouldn't allow me to install it.
URL to your download?
Fire 750, bring back 250.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 6.1; en-US; rv:1.9.1.19) Gecko/20110420 SeaMonkey/2.0.14 Pinball CopyURL+ FetchTextURL FlashGot NoScript
Jito463

Post by Jito463 »

therube wrote:
I even tried downloading uBlock Origin and installing it manually, Firefox said that it wasn't signed and wouldn't allow me to install it.
URL to your download?
I can't recall it offhand, I just searched for uBlock Origin on Google. I didn't really verify it too much, so it's possible it was the wrong download (it was on Github, if I recall correctly).
Jito463

Post by Jito463 »

Well, never mind then. Turns out our network technician decided to run an experiment on our network and he caused the issue all along....